Elaborate Early High-Rises

Plasticman

I'd like to see some pictures of pre-world war two skyscrapers in your cities. The building in buffalo made me think of how much work and pride went into our early buildings vs. now.

I'll start by posting one of my favorites, the 29 story Sterick building in Memphis built in 1930. At the time it was the tallest buiding in the south and called "The Queen of Memphis".

cvr459i.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I'd like to see some pictures of pre-world war two skyscrapers in your cities. The building in buffalo made me think of how much work and pride went into our early buildings vs. now.

I'll start by posting one of my favorites, the 29 story Sterick building in Memphis built in 1930. At the time it was the tallest buiding in the south and called "The Queen of Memphis".

cvr459i.gif

thanks, i'm about to get started on rehabing the building. I am the descendant of the family who lived on the site where the sterick now stands

• 2 months later...

It was tragically knocked down in 1961 in the name of Urban Renewal, but the most architecturally significant building in Minneapolis was the Metropolitan Building. Both the inside and outside were quite remarkable. The outside for the rough standstone used, and the inside for its contrast to the outside -- very polished and smooth with GLASS FLOORS, open cage elevators, a 12 story atrium, rooftop restaurant, etc. It's such a shame that it was knocked down. I honestly felt sick when I saw the footage of the building being shamelessly knocked down in the movie "Lost Twin Cities".

473px-Metropolitan_Building_Minneapolis.jpg

foshay.jpg

Foshay Tower, built 1927-1929 was Minneapolis' tallest building until 1972. It was also the first "sky scraper" built west of the Mississippi. Of course now days it is dwarved by the surrounding, much taller buildings.

I had heard that the Foshay Tower was being converted into a hotel. Is this still happening? It's a really interesting building.

Here are 2 of Columbia's 1st 3 skyscrapers. The Barringer Building (red brick, 1903) is in the middle of a conversion into apartments and the Palmetto Building (Behind it, 1912) is in the middle of a conversion into a Sheraton Hotel.

barringer%20bldg.jpg

This is a better picture of the Palmetto Building

palmetto%20bldg.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived