Elaborate Early High-Rises

Plasticman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Detroit's Fisher Building.

from its Wikipedia entry

Built in 1928, the Fisher Building has been nicknamed "Detroit's largest art object". Sitting on the corner of West Grand Boulevard and Second Street in Detroit, Michigan, the Art Deco skyscraper lies in the heart of the New Center area of Detroit. The 28-story office building was designed by Albert Kahn to house the car body business of the Fisher Brothers, and it is widely considered his greatest achievement. The year of its construction, the Fisher building was honored by the Architecture League of New York as the year's most beautiful commercial structure.

Initially, Kahn planned for a complex of three buildings, with two 28-story structures flanking a third tower twice that height. However, the Great Depression caused his funding to dry up following the construction of the first phase. Nevertheless, most architectural critics feel that the single Fisher Building functions sufficiently well on its own.

Unable to find a large plot downtown, the Fisher brothers built their building across from the GM World Headquarters, which company has recently purchased their Fisher Body Company. The GM building and the Fisher formed a "New Center" for the city away from the old downtown. The Fisher Theater in the building is a large venue and features Broadway touring productions.

The top of the building was gilt and WJR's radio broadcasts from the rooftop antenna came "from the golden tower of the Fisher Building" to a nation still in the Depression.

The Building is also home to the Fisher Theater, one of Detroit's oldest live theater venues.

Fisher_Building_Detroit.jpg

51741032_880e7fc84d.jpg

52184613_0e5493a1d7.jpg

52184622_896282dab1.jpg

52185034_e6dc30bdce.jpg

Ive always loved Detroits older buildings, it has a wonderful mix with old and new :shades:

Central National Bank Building, Richmond

card00484_fr.jpg

An old postcard of it at least. The building is now being renovated into office space and the art deco and top building lights are being fully restored :thumbsup:

Here's some examples of pre-WW2 skyscraper architecture in Pittsburgh... in addition to the previously mentioned Cathedral of Learning

The Pennsylvanian - 1902 - 12 stories (former rail offices, now apartments)

50566792.100_0582.jpg

Arrott Building - 1902 - 18 stories

50566812.100_0646.jpg

Standard Life Building - 1903 - 14 stories (going condo)

50566810.100_0639.jpg

Union National Bank Building - 1906 - 21 stories (going condo)

50567167.100_0648.jpg

Law and Finance Building - 1900 - 21 stories

50567166.100_0647.jpg

Oliver Building - 1910 - 25 stories

50567177.100_0676.jpg

prominent early skyscrapers from left to right....

slender ziggurat-topped skyscraper:

Gulf Building - 1932 - 44 stories

art-deco with copper peak just to the left of big black tower:

Koppers Building - 1929 - 34 stories

front and center brown building with hole in middle:

Renaissance Hotel - 1906 - 13 stories

50567182.100_0681.jpg

brown building with beacon on top ... far right

Grant Building - 1930 - 40 stories

50567456.100_0746.jpg

Two Mellon Center - 1917 - 15 stories

57349014.100_1396.jpg

building on right:

Frick Building - 1920 - 20 stories

55788858.100_4417.jpg

You know, call me crazy, but I'm not a fan of Pitt's taller art deco skyscrapers. I've never seen 'em in person, so maybe that's part of it.

But from what I see here, your midlevel skyscrapers are fantastic. Of the ones you list -- Mellon, Frick, Oliver, Law & Finance, Union Ntnl Bank Bldg, Standard Life, Arrott, Pennsylvanian -- all of those would be valuable additions to any city in the country. I'd certainly love to have them in mine. There's great variety there, too.

I love the stone overhang feature in front of The Pennsylvanian. It looks like it's attached, is that the case? At any rate, it's a gorgeous (and distinctive) feature.

See? Now that's a building I would never have found without this thread.

It was tragically knocked down in 1961 in the name of Urban Renewal, but the most architecturally significant building in Minneapolis was the Metropolitan Building. Both the inside and outside were quite remarkable. The outside for the rough standstone used, and the inside for its contrast to the outside -- very polished and smooth with GLASS FLOORS, open cage elevators, a 12 story atrium, rooftop restaurant, etc. It's such a shame that it was knocked down. I honestly felt sick when I saw the footage of the building being shamelessly knocked down in the movie "Lost Twin Cities".

473px-Metropolitan_Building_Minneapolis.jpg

What a GORGEOUS old building!! Oh my, I do believe I would have cried had I witnessed its demolition.

And I can't hotlink to it, because the only pictures I can find are on Emporis, but I'm also fond of the Hibernia Bank Bldg, New Orleans, built in 1921, standing 355 feet tall.

You posted some awesome buildings, and I love the Hibernia Bank Building in New Orleans. Here's a funny story (at least to me.) Last year when I was in New Orleans I needed to get some cash, and since I bank with Hibernia I figured I'd look for an ATM. I mean, afterall, I was in Hibernia City (New Orleans!) So I asked a Valet and he told me that the nearest Hibernia ATM was in the Hibernia Building, which was about 1/2 mile behind the hotel I was staying in. So I take off for the building, and when I get there I find that there's an ATM in the lobby. I walk over to the machine, and the stupid thing was out of order! I turned and asked the girl at the desk what the deal was... but of course she didn't know. She recommended a Hibernia ATM a few blocks down near Canal St in a Walgreen's. Lucky for me, I found one in the Ridgway's building and didn't have to go all the way to the Walgreen's. Anyway, I just thought it was hilarious... as well as sad... that the Hibernia ATM in the lobby of the bank's headquarters didn't work!!

You posted some awesome buildings, and I love the Hibernia Bank Building in New Orleans. Here's a funny story (at least to me.) Last year when I was in New Orleans I needed to get some cash, and since I bank with Hibernia I figured I'd look for an ATM. I mean, afterall, I was in Hibernia City (New Orleans!) So I asked a Valet and he told me that the nearest Hibernia ATM was in the Hibernia Building, which was about 1/2 mile behind the hotel I was staying in. So I take off for the building, and when I get there I find that there's an ATM in the lobby. I walk over to the machine, and the stupid thing was out of order! I turned and asked the girl at the desk what the deal was... but of course she didn't know. She recommended a Hibernia ATM a few blocks down near Canal St in a Walgreen's. Lucky for me, I found one in the Ridgway's building and didn't have to go all the way to the Walgreen's. Anyway, I just thought it was hilarious... as well as sad... that the Hibernia ATM in the lobby of the bank's headquarters didn't work!!

I dunno. My banks' ATM's go down from time to time, too. Often unexpectedly. Which proves to be quite disappointing, to say the least, by the time I learn about it. :unsure:

How is the building kept? In good condition, I hope. I just heard a horror story about poor maintenance in Providence's art deco gem. Which is just unbelievable to me. That is, I mean, I believe the story, but I can't believe the owners of these proud, elegant buildings would let them fall into disgrace & disrepair.

What the heck is the point of owning a building a like this if you aren't going to keep it proudly? These aren't just any buildings. They're not just any skyscrapers. There are a lot of tall buildings in the world, but these buildings are special. They have souls. They ... they just don't build them like that anymore. If you want to own an ordinary highrise that you can treat like an ordinary highrise, buy (or build) an ordinary highrise. Please and thankyou.

The Hibernia building is gorgeous. Sadly, I never knew it existed until Hurricane Katrina. When I first saw it, it was surrounded by several feet of water in a huge photo on the front page of the newspaper a day or two after the hurricane hit. People were floating by it on makeshift rafts.

In that context, I was drawn to it. Especially the beacon. I fell in love with the beacon right away. So call me a sentimental fool, but I saw symbolism there.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived