Atlanta Renaissance

Newnan

Many of you may already know this, but for those of you who don't, The Atkanta Urban Core is experiencing an amazing wave of development and growth. Many condo's and highrises are sprouting up and the area is starting to burst qith life again. The "Flight" is over. To accomodate this new growth, Midtown Atlanta is undergoing a 42 million dollar renovation. This includes, new sidewalks, trees, street lamps, and much more. They are also planning to build 30,000 new condos and apartments for the growing population. This is also happening in Downtown, which has been in need of revitalization. This is great for Atlanta and anyone comign to Atlanta.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of you may already know this, but for those of you who don't, The Atkanta Urban Core is experiencing an amazing wave of development and growth. Many condo's and highrises are sprouting up and the area is starting to burst qith life again. The "Flight" is over. To accomodate this new growth, Midtown Atlanta is undergoing a 42 million dollar renovation. This includes, new sidewalks, trees, street lamps, and much more. They are also planning to build 30,000 new condos and apartments for the growing population. This is also happening in Downtown, which has been in need of revitalization. This is great for Atlanta and anyone comign to Atlanta.

Although this is great now, you don't want it to grow to fast so it turns into another Detroit. Detroit is coming back though. I say Atlanta makes a bid at the olympics now.

Although this is great now, you don't want it to grow to fast so it turns into another Detroit. Detroit is coming back though. I say Atlanta makes a bid at the olympics now.

That's true. Too much development at once only sets a city up for a big fall. I wonder if places like Miami are paying attention to this.

As for the bolded part: was that just sarcasm or did you mean to put something else in there or what?

Anyways, the Beltline (a 22 mile proposed loop of transit and parks around the city, visit the Atlanta forum for more info on it) has just had a special tax district approved for it by all three boards who had to review it. this is a major step in building it, even though the actual Beltline itself is years off from start and completion. The project itself has been touted as a major step in the formation of a definite downtown core for Atlanta.

Wow, I didn't know Atlanta was growing like this. It sounds like an urban explosion like Miami's.

Speaking of managing tons of urban growth, the city of Fort Lauderdale has had to cap any new condo development for downtown. Once their infrastructure catches up, they'll allow construction and development to proceed.

Wow, I didn't know Atlanta was growing like this. It sounds like an urban explosion like Miami's.

That's what I was thinking, although I'm thinking that Miami's is a bit bigger (we don't have three hundred highrises proposed yet, but we do have a steady stream of proposals for skyscrapers coming in).

Speaking of managing tons of urban growth, the city of Fort Lauderdale has had to cap any new condo development for downtown. Once their infrastructure catches up, they'll allow construction and development to proceed.

That sounds like a smart idea to do something like that. has Miami tried it yet, or can they support the growth that is proposed?

I have been to Atlanta a few times, and the question that I am asking in regards to the new developments around DT - are they renovating/expanding their MARTA? That's Metro Atlanta Rail and Transportation Authority, or at least it. I read their brochure in 1997 and it was there unchanged since its inception in 1972. Has Atlanta done anything with MARTA ever since? :huh:

I have been to Atlanta a few times, and the question that I am asking in regards to the new developments around DT - are they renovating/expanding their MARTA? That's Metro Atlanta Rail and Transportation Authority, or at least it. I read their brochure in 1997 and it was there unchanged since its inception in 1972. Has Atlanta done anything with MARTA ever since? :huh:

Nothing has been done with MARTA since your last vist (though I think you should visit us again ;) ). The Goevernor and State Legislators have pretty much hung it out to dry in favor of ( :sick: ) expanding interstates and other highways. There have been plans for expansions that may get off the ground. The two most popular expansions proposed are one to the Fulton County Airport on the West Line and a second one to Hartsfield Jackson Int'l Airport.

Here is Atlanta's MARTA map today:

MARTAMAP.GIF

Here is what it should have looked like originally when it was first proposed:

MARTA.gif

• 5 weeks later...

I think that's great! Most US cities are having sprawl problems right now, and it's good to see that Atlanta is on the way to reversing them.

And Marta was fun, I rode it from the airport to Doraville. It gave alot of nice views too. Way better than a car or a bus. And there was this weird guy infront of me how kept of looking in his reflection in the window, fixing his hair. It reminded me of zoolander :lol:

Although this is great now, you don't want it to grow to fast so it turns into another Detroit.

I don't know what that means. Detroit's problems are because after the war people moved to the suburbs, not because of the huge growth before the war. The bigger you are, the harder you fall is true, but that only matters if you plan on falling. :)

I think the only problem with the developments is that the the city might not be able to expand all of the city services (like schools and stuff) fast enough for all of the new people, but it looks like the city is ontop of that.

Another Detroit? I don't see the connection really.

I'm glad Atlanta is finally becoming an urban core city. The sprawl there the worst I've seen. Traffic absolutely the worst.

For that matter watching all American cities turning back to their cores is great. Even a city like Pittsburgh has high rise construction again, and it's residential this time!

• 1 month later...

wow that's interesting news for us

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome, because now maybe the gaps in the skyline will be filled in and it will look a lot more dense. Also, nice touch on the streetscape work. Every vibrant city should take care of its urban area's streetscape.

• 1 month later...

This is awesome, because now maybe the gaps in the skyline will be filled in and it will look a lot more dense. Also, nice touch on the streetscape work. Every vibrant city should take care of its urban area's streetscape.

Raleigh is doing this with their former Fayetteville Street mall. It is converting back to a drivable center main street with larger sidewalks, lower level retail. a new $3,000,00. Plensa art work and multiple towers being constructed.

• 2 months later...

Raleigh is doing this with their former Fayetteville Street mall. It is converting back to a drivable center main street with larger sidewalks, lower level retail. a new $3,000,00. Plensa art work and multiple towers being constructed.

Is this a 'Golden Age' for American cities?.... EVERY major city seems to be booming and many smaller cities are as well... almost everywhere that I have travelled lately has some kind of downtown renaissance in place... Washington, New York, Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, Nashville, Louisville... even small, conservative and formerly desolate downtown Greenville, SC seems to be growing and booming---

Is this a 'Golden Age' for American cities?.... EVERY major city seems to be booming and many smaller cities are as well... almost everywhere that I have travelled lately has some kind of downtown renaissance in place... Washington, New York, Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, Nashville, Louisville... even small, conservative and formerly desolate downtown Greenville, SC seems to be growing and booming---

We are definately in the Bush economy. Who would have thought we could fight two wars, lower taxes, and still experience all this growth and prosperity?

Here where I live and in surrounding cities and towns, old abandoned factories/buildings are going condo at some unbelievable pricing. AND PEOPLE ARE LINING UP TO BUY!! I think this is a nationwide trend by reading the posts on here. Even small town with less than 2k people are adding population in the downtown cores.

We are definately in the Bush economy. Who would have thought we could fight two wars, lower taxes, and still experience all this growth and prosperity?

The push to real estate has nothing to do with the fool in the white house and everything to do with the surplus of savings washing around the world (India, China and Japan) in search of a return on investment above 0 and a semblance of safety. The bloom is already off many of the condo projects in Vegas, Miami and other cities as the cost of materials outstrips the ability for developers to build to their price points.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember some of my electives in college correctly (been a while), wars spur our economy in both obvious ways (military suppliers and contractors) and not so obvious ones that have a domino affect across the economy. Eventually the govt. owes money, but typically owes it's own citizens, and therefore pays interest to Americans, keeping wealth at home.

Not to mention that war provides real life training for increasingly "green" troops, the opportunity to better military strategy & battlefield tactics in a changing world, and provides national diversion from domestic issues. Let me say that this is not to imply that war is good, just that it has strange benefits. The consequences I think we all know to be obvious.

Archived