Random Nashville Part II

Lexy

Part Deux!!!

Not from where i'm standing.

Picture124.jpg

Can you hear me now???

Picture125.jpg

Bank of America and First Tennessee towers.

Picture126.jpg

FORMER Suntrust Tower.

Picture127.jpg

Future Suntrust Tower. 18 stories.

Picture130.jpg

New Symphony Hall.

Picture131.jpg

Skinny no???

Picture134.jpg

Wide perhaps?

Picture156.jpg

Baptist alters, err, buildings I mean.

Picture143.jpg

Batmans entrance.

Picture138.jpg

Batmans secret twin brother. Not really.

Picture145.jpg

Old buildings in Nashville???? NOOOO! It can't be.

Picture146.jpg

Pathetic transit again.

Picture148.jpg

Hey!

Picture151.jpg

Am I the first to document the interior of the new Viridian Tower??? Why yes I am!

Picture152.jpg

Canyon.

Picture158.jpg

SoBro. South Broadway district.

Picture160.jpg

Viridian rising above the concrete trees, sorta.

Picture159.jpg

The GEC, or whatever its called now. Its the hockey teams home nevertheless.

Picture163.jpg

Union Station hotel.

Picture171.jpg

Gulch condos.

Picture175.jpg

Gulch office studios.

Picture173.jpg

Cummins Station (offices) in The Gulch.

Picture174.jpg

More Gulch living.

Picture176.jpg

Interesting...

Picture188.jpg

Bye. Thanks!

Picture181.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These shots are cool! Nashville seems to have more of an Older Northeastern city feel than Atlanta (Where I live near) I gotta tell you, I somehow get bad vibes from Charlotte, But I just love Nashville. If I could pick one southeastern city to become as big as Atlanta, I would definitely go with Nashville!!

Nice to hear you say those things Newnan, thank you. I haven't been to Charlotte but a couple of time and realistically, I've never really "been" there. Brief drive throughs and around don't count. I've never given it much thought, it's a gazillion miles away and being with the Nash being so close to interesting cool places like Birmingham, Memphis, Chattanoogoa and Louisville, Charlotte just seems to me off the radar in another hemisphere with no particular drawing card. That's not a dig, just the facts as I personally see them. For a big city, Atlanta's just a hop-skip away and that's good enough for me. I think Nashville's metamorphosis is moving along nicely. I don't think we should fear everything familiar disappearing before our eyes just to polish the stone into a diamond. Any given day in Nashville will give you something if you just take the time to look. Some days this place just shines, some days its a bit dank, but all in all, I'm not going anywhere.

I remember when friends in Atlanta (circa 1974) bragged that Atlanta metro was 1.7 million people. I was awed. Now, we're getting very close to that so there's just not telling what the future will hold for us. I, for one, and I think many of my cohorts here will agree, that bigger is better, but we'd all probably like to keep it in a good, liveable perspective. Nice for you to drop in Newnan, come back again.

Its funny that Newnan should comment about Nashville having a more Northeastern feel to it. There is a book (and of course the name escapes me right now) that explains how Memphis and Nashville took completely different paths after the Civil War. In this book, Nashville is described as taking a more Northern view of progress/development and that Memphis took a more Southern route. After living in both cities I can definitely see that as being somewhat true.

I haven't been to Charlotte but a couple of time and realistically, I've never really "been" there. Brief drive throughs and around don't count. I've never given it much thought, it's a gazillion miles away and being with the Nash being so close to interesting cool places like Birmingham, Memphis, Chattanoogoa and Louisville, Charlotte just seems to me off the radar in another hemisphere with no particular drawing card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the mountains have something to do with it. They're no real obstacle to travel at all, but it's more of a psychological divide, yet still real. Because of that, Charlotte becomes a city in another region--at least in mindset.

Cummins is an old warehouse, and really worthy of a thread of its own. It's full of great retail, independent record companies, artist agencies, ad firms, galleries, etc. The creative set, basically. The interior is very New York industrial decor...really quite fascinating and is definately worth a look around. It's a fun place. You'll also get to ride the world's slowest elevator...unless that's changed lately.

And Charlotte's distance is not just a mindset. Chicago's just as close. As in New Orleans. Not day trip material. And once you hit the mountains to the east, then Asheville, you've seen God's country, why keep going unless you need a beach.

And Charlotte's distance is not just a mindset. Chicago's just as close. As in New Orleans. Not day trip material. And once you hit the mountains to the east, then Asheville, you've seen God's country, why keep going unless you need a beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I understand there's significant mileage between Nashville and Charlotte, but I also think the mountains still play a role in the mindset.

On the east side of the mountains as well as the west side, things tend to run more north and south--east coast v. mid-south.

Nashville is equidistant from Raleigh and New Orleans, yet I suspect Raleigh from the viewpoint of Nashvillians is "way out there" as opposed to New Orleans. Same could be said of Mobile. Of course I haven't lived in Nashville in 30 some odd years, so it's jmo.

Archived