Do You Agree with the idea?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Agree with the idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Interesting topic, don't you think?

432bdf28ce99d.jpg

I was telling my co-worker about how Blythewood is the fastest growing area in the State and it's population could swell enough in 20 years for it to be labeled as a city and she (doesn't want to live in Blyth...) thought Spring Valley should be come a city to siphon it. If that happened it could gobble up a lot of NE Richland real estate, that name and variations (i.e. North Springs) is used promenately from Clemson Road to I-77. There's even a couple of mid/high-rises scattered about and I think Village at Sandhill may have midrises at some point. I included a pic of the Spring Valley skyline (along Two Notch with Blue Cross/Companion Tower in the distance) to encourage posts...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember mentioning that tower in an earlier thread; I stated that it would have helped the downtown skyline if it was located there instead of on Two Notch. But the tower does sit on a hill, so I don't think that it's really as tall as it appears to be. But I would still think that it would help out the downtown skyline though.

It may result in slightly higher property taxes, but your homeowner's insurance and water bill would be cheaper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An excellent point. Plus, if you pay for private garbage service, that would no longer apply.

Also, within 2-3 years the Local Option Sales Tax could replace all or nearly all of the city's millage charges. That was the case in Florence. All owner-occupied residences there are free of city taxes. As a resident of a city or town, taxpayers receive two credits (city and county) on their taxes, instead of just one (county) for taxpayers in unincorporated areas.

Of course, that depends on the city not raising the millage to offset the reductions.

Archived