Downtown Condo Market

Frankie811

"Yes, but there seems to be an assumption that many of the occupants moving into the new downtown condos will be commuting to Boston for work. Which means that Providence, too, will be a commuter neighborhood, just one that is much further from downtown Boston."

Well, by that logic those living in, say, Brighton or the Back Bay but driving to Waltham to work for a tech company evidently live in a commuter neighborhood.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people who live in Peerless do not seem to commuters of Boston. Far as I can tell. I know of one thus far but i'm sure some are around. Many MD's however which I think are people we forget when talking about the market.

When I think of the market the first thing that comes to my mind are doctors and lawyers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:rofl:

Your the FIRST PERSON I thought of when reading that. hahahahha

There was a four (4) page flyer in today's Sunday Providence Journal featuring area condo projects. On the front page was a striking ad for the 110 project, and on the back was the Westin tower. But in between was a sampling of suburban RI & MA projects. I just thought that was strange.

There was a four (4) page flyer in today's Sunday Providence Journal featuring area condo projects. On the front page was a striking ad for the 110 project, and on the back was the Westin tower. But in between was a sampling of suburban RI & MA projects. I just thought that was strange.

New poster here... am finding this discussion intriguing, as my husband and I are completely perplexed by this condo explosion (or pre-explosion, as the case may be). Does anyone have any thoughts on:

1. The potential resale prospects of such units?

2. This notion that there are going to be several Boston commuters, despite the fact that the availability of trains to/from Boston is completely horrendous? With the exception of peak travel times, the limited availability of trains from PVD to Boston is embarrassing.

2. This notion that there are going to be several Boston commuters, despite the fact that the availability of trains to/from Boston is completely horrendous? With the exception of peak travel times, the limited availability of trains from PVD to Boston is embarrassing.

What do you mean by this? With the exception of no weekend service I think the service is fine considering that were not even in the same state, or metro area. The state of RI gives a subsidy to the MBTA to provide service to Providence which will probably increase when service extends to Warwick and prossibly to North Kingston. And don't forget you also have the option of taking Amtrak to Boston. Perhaps you should consider moving to MA if you need better service to Boston.

Welcome LMWW,

The resale issue is one that has come up here, and I don't think anyone has come up with a good answer on who the resale market will be. There seems to be a hope that people will just come, but we need to fix our job market before they do.

On the T, rumour has it, service will be increasing soon.

Thanks, cotuit. I really hope they do increase service, as it would encourage the use of public transportation (which seems to be grossly underemphasized here).

What do you mean by this? With the exception of no weekend service I think the service is fine considering that were not even in the same state, or metro area. The state of RI gives a subsidy to the MBTA to provide service to Providence which will probably increase when service extends to Warwick and prossibly to North Kingston. And don't forget you also have the option of taking Amtrak to Boston. Perhaps you should consider moving to MA if you need better service to Boston.

Actually, I live and work in Providence, as does my husband. But we are young professionals (PhDs in our early 30s), and like to travel to Boston for concerts, performances, sporting events, drinks with friends, etc. Getting there is no problem, but getting home is. On weekdays, the last train from Boston to Providence leaves South Station at 8:15pm. The only other options are either 10:25pm to South Attleboro (which is often too early if we are at a concert) or at midnight, also to So. Attleboro (which wouldn't get us home until 1am, at the earliest). The alternative is to drive up during rush hour traffic, which is a nightmare.

Similarly, if we want to go to Boston on the weekends to visit a museum or go shopping, there is no direct transportation from Providence to Boston (as already stated).

If, in the context of all of this development, Providence is going to be advertised as a convenient and affordable alternative to Boston living, I think there should be a better infrastructure in place to facilitate transportation between the two cities. Highway driving ain't gonna cut it.

Similarly, if we want to go to Boston on the weekends to visit a museum or go shopping, there is no direct transportation from Providence to Boston (as already stated).

My boyfriend and I were thinking of going to Boston to do some Christmas shopping yesterday (until we remembered we had 2 Christmas parties to go to :rolleyes: ). We would have taken the bus, but I'd much prefer to be able to take the train to Boston on the weekends.

I wouldn't say that getting to Boston on the weekend is that much of a hassle.

Bonanza has daily bus service to Boston. You can go from either Kennedy Plaza or the Bus Terminal to South Station.

http://www.bonanzabus.com/

Unless you don't have a car, you can take the 10 minute drive to South Attleboro and take the T in.

I wouldn't say that getting to Boston on the weekend is that much of a hassle.

Bonanza has daily bus service to Boston. You can go from either Kennedy Plaza or the Bus Terminal to South Station.

http://www.bonanzabus.com/

Unless you don't have a car, you can take the 10 minute drive to South Attleboro and take the T in.

The bus doesn't mitigate the traffic though. And I don't have a car, so Attleboro is out.

Thanks, cotuit. I really hope they do increase service, as it would encourage the use of public transportation (If, in the context of all of this development, Providence is going to be advertised as a convenient and affordable alternative to Boston living, I think there should be a better infrastructure in place to facilitate transportation between the two cities. Highway driving ain't gonna cut it.

That is the point! - A livable alternative to Boston...not a suburb of Boston. If I live in PVD why would I go to Boston? A Red Sox, Bruins, or Celtics game?...otherwise what does Boston have that would draw me to make frequent trips to that mess of a city?

As a guy from Tampa and soon to have a condo in PVD, I am much more concerned with bus, trolley, light rail in the Providence Metro than anything between the two metros. Frankly, I selected PVD just because it is a better place than Boston.

That is the point! - A livable alternative to Boston...not a suburb of Boston. If I live in PVD why would I go to Boston? A Red Sox, Bruins, or Celtics game?...otherwise what does Boston have that would draw me to make frequent trips to that mess of a city?

As a guy from Tampa and soon to have a condo in PVD, I am much more concerned with bus, trolley, light rail in the Providence Metro than anything between the two metros. Frankly, I selected PVD just because it is a better place than Boston.

Why can't we have even one conversation around here without insulting other cities?

Boston has a lot to offer. Unforunately one of those things is high real estate prices.

I don't think Providence should position itself as a suburb of Boston, but until jobs start being added here then there is a financial benefit in appealing to Bostonians.

I strongly agree with the problems related to public transportation within Providence. And it seems like the problems are getting worse, not better. Bus routes are being cut, so that the buses run less frequently and not more. Light rail would be a great addition, but I'm not sure anyone can justify the cost if we can't even support regular bus routes.

And I'm not arguing that Providence has to be a Boston suburb. However, as has been stated in this thread several times, one of the groups that is being targeted for marketing of these new condos appears to be commuters to Boston. As brick stated, it's the reality. Without this subgroup of potential buyers, I'm not strongly convinced they can sell most of these places.

In addition, one of the nice things about Providence is its proximity to Boston. Being the larger city, it gets a much larger selection of concerts and performances. We also like to attend sporting events. The availability of trains that run more frequently would allow us to avoid the horrendous traffic and congestion on the roads between PVD and Boston. Such a train is not without precedent. Just look at the Metro North between New Haven and Grand Central... it certainly runs on the weekends.

I like Providence AND I like Boston. I just wish there were more viable alternatives to highway travel between the two.

One of the nice things about Boston is its proximity to other great places like Providence. All the BosWash cities are close neighbors. It is hard to feel isolated within one city.

(added later:) I don't think Providence could ever be called a suburb. It is just too dense and too much of a destination of its own. It's simply urban. If anyone lives in Providence and commutes to Boston for work, it will be one element of the overall circulation of people in the area. And PVDers should be proud that people might want to live in their downtown even if they work elsewhere--the reverse of the general trend of the past 50 years. In my circle people I know have always traveled from all over (Worcester, Boston and in between) to shows at Lupos and the Met Cafe. Suburb to big city commuting is old fashioned and not the only commuting pattern these days. There is so much suburb to suburb commuting and, perhaps, city to city commuting.

One of the nice things about Boston is its proximity to other great places like Providence. All the BosWash cities are close neighbors. It is hard to feel isolated within one city.

(added later:) I don't think Providence could ever be called a suburb. It is just too dense and too much of a destination of its own. It's simply urban. If anyone lives in Providence and commutes to Boston for work, it will be one element of the overall circulation of people in the area. And PVDers should be proud that people might want to live in their downtown even if they work elsewhere--the reverse of the general trend of the past 50 years. In my circle people I know have always traveled from all over (Worcester, Boston and in between) to shows at Lupos and the Met Cafe. Suburb to big city commuting is old fashioned and not the only commuting pattern these days. There is so much suburb to suburb commuting and, perhaps, city to city commuting.

I have to agree that Providence is much more than a suburb of Boston and I hope it continues to improve without loosing its character. The current music scene is a mere shadow of its former self (right Liamlunchtray?). We need to embrace the arts of all types so those who work elsewhere, but choose to live here, will be the envy of their co-workers.

My wife works in Boston, I work in Newport but we live in Providence. You might think, where else would we live given those job locations, but we chose Providence first and then found jobs within a "reasonable" commute. I just hope our next jobs land us a little closer to home since we a re pushing the limit of "reasonable" IMO.

My wife works in Boston, I work in Newport but we live in Providence. You might think, where else would we live given those job locations,

Swansea, Rehoboth, Lakeville... and both commute via Route 24. But that would suck. :lol:

Why can't we have even one conversation around here without insulting other cities?

Boston has a lot to offer. Unforunately one of those things is high real estate prices.

I don't think Providence should position itself as a suburb of Boston, but until jobs start being added here then there is a financial benefit in appealing to Bostonians.

Woops...point of clarification. I was not insulting Boston. My "mess" referred to the constant condition of roadway transportation turmoil.

As to "suburb" - of course, Providence is not a suburb of Boston in any way, shape, or form. What I meant was, despite the fact that it is a bigger city, and has a element of international access, on an everyday basis there is little a PVD metro person needs to go to Boston for (although proximity does make it a unique relationship).

My real point is that PVD political leaders must do much more to accent and build on the assets of PVD. Pulling business into the metro is the key to creating a larger base to both draw workers, keep them in the metro, and create the growth dynamic needed to reach the next economic level.

Then other creations folow...money for transit, etc.

• 1 month later...

Archived