Downtown Condo Market

Frankie811

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only the people with something bad to say ever post on those ProJo talk back things. The people who like the city are out enjoying it. While attitudes do need changing, I don't think too much (any) energy should be wasted reacting to those ProJo talk back things.

From what I understand, RWU is turning thier focus on law in the coming years. Having a Law School in the city would be nice, but I think between RWU and UMASS Dartmouth we've got some good coverage, the city just needs to market itself to the people going through those schools. With Brown focusing now on medicine and biotech, I don't think we should hold our breath on them starting a Law School.

i heard, after this conversation and then inquiring about it, that the law school idea was proposed to PC back in the 70's. they decided against it (along with a whole lot of other plans that they probably should have done). they're starting to really concentrate on business as it has the most students in it right now (education comes in second). however, i think that between all the students there in other majors who are interested in law, they could keep many of them around. but i was told it's too expensive.

PS: The new condos just built right off of Gano St. next to the onramp to 195 are being marketed as "luxury" condos as well... I'm sorry, I don't care about how polished any marble countertop might be or how fancy any walk-in closet or bathroom might be in this otherwise unremarkable box of a building... You're at the base of Gano St, across from the abandoned shed there, and smack dab next to the entrance ramp to 195! Good luck selling "luxury..." (but you're really close to India Point Park! :rolleyes: )

I would like the design of these townhouses much better if the garages were placed in the rear of the property and a front stoop built into the front of the house with a smaller setback from the street. This type of new house construction seems to be prevalent in Providence these days and needs to be revised in a more traditionally urban style. To me, the design does not strike me as one that would foster pedestrian friendly neighborhoods. I think this is also a by-product of the overnight parking ban where urban attached townhouses built in Providence require built-in garages which when incorporated into the design make them look suburban and out of place versus the surrounding triple deckers and houses built pre-1930's.

Well, here's the website for the property I mentioned above. The prices were way higher than I thought... 500K! Again, right next to the onramp for 195 (that's the wall off to the right) near all the shabby auto repair places on Gano...

- Garris

BTW: They hired a great photographer for that site. The photos are perspective corrected and taken at the perfect time of day. Kudos to the photographer.

I agree that the photgraphy is great, but man what an ugly house!! It looks like they took your typical south providence beige vinyl crapbox townhouse, tacked on a couple fake dormers and called it a day. Blech!

734406_1.jpg

I would like the design of these townhouses much better if the garages were placed in the rear of the property and a front stoop built into the front of the house with a smaller setback from the street. This type of new house construction seems to be prevalent in Providence these days and needs to be revised in a more traditionally urban style. To me, the design does not strike me as one that would foster pedestrian friendly neighborhoods. I think this is also a by-product of the overnight parking ban where urban attached townhouses built in Providence require built-in garages which when incorporated into the design make them look suburban and out of place versus the surrounding triple deckers and houses built pre-1930's.

• 2 months later...
From PBN

For the first half of 2007, sales of single-family Rhode Island homes are down 6.7 percent compared with the same period in 2006, while condo sales are up 2.3 percent compared with the same six months of last year, according to The Warren Group.

• 3 weeks later...

Condominiums are market laggers to single fams and multis.. They are late on the way up, and late on the way down.. They also see more volatile price changes both ways..

I do see a lot of Athena Prov Place sales hit the books, so it seems like the 903 is selling pretty well.. It is curious to me if the 903 is selling to existing residents that were prior renters or if these are new sales.. Regardless, they appear to be doing ok with sales..

Semi-unrelated, but how are rents now? It appears that rents are ekeing slightly higher in PVD.. Nothing stat based, just personal perception using the usual means, projo, craigs, less signs around for rent, etc..

Condos are getting cheaaaaap. I was in full condo search mode last spring and looking at riliving yesterday I couldn't believe how much cheaper they've gotten even since then. 2 bed townhouses for 139,000, it seems nuts to me. There are 1 beds in North Providence for 69,000. I should've waited til now and bought.

when i was looking for an apartment back in march/april, rents for the decent places with any sort of amenities (basically anything that had been somewhat modernized) were higher than i had expected. the places with the lower rents were mostly run down with landlords that didn't seem to care about the property. however, i was able to find plenty of 2BR apartments for under $1200 (the highest i would go if absolutely necessary). while that might seem like my limit was high, anything that was halfway decent and available when i was looking was right around that. of course, i had some requirements... like laundry on the premises and a good amount of cabinet space in the kitchen, and it had to be at least 2 bedrooms. most 2-3BR that were in the $850-950 range were either in older places that had not been modernized (my unit had been completely renovated in the last 5 years and has a dishwasher, which was something we hoped for), were really small (not a whole lot bigger than my 425 sq ft 1BR), or had landlords that didn't seem to give a crap and let the place fall apart.

so while we're paying slightly more than we had originally hoped, we can afford our apartment and have a lot of great amenities, including a very short walk to downtown (5-10 min) and being 1 block from atwells. and, most importantly, we have kick ass landlords who are extremely responsive and take care of issues within a day or 2 of reporting them.

• 3 months later...

Archived