Lets Rebuild New Orleans

TSmith

This is going to be a huge debate through New Orleans rebuilding process.

We need plenty of new urbanism in the city, but I really fear that it is going to be overrun with develops only interested in building high rise and mid rise condos and hotels. We need more businesses moving here too, so a mix of new business developments and tourist developments would be perfect for the city.

But we'll just have to wait and see...because this debate isn't coming to an end anytime soon.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dread the day when the bulldozers are unleashed. I fear that much will be lost. Bricks and mortar are not the end-sum of a culture, but they are the first impression. If New Orleans loses its distinctive architecture its culture will be gravely wounded. Why not build upon tradition and create a new indigenous style for the ages? The elemnets of style are really quite simple and could be exploited to great advantage. Discipline will be needed, of course, but the region could emerge so much better than before with only a little guidance.

This is a mass migration map. The locations where people evacuated from New Orleans during Katrina are based on the posting's on "safe lists" on the internet by residents.

KatrinaOrigDest.gif

You can see how many people evacuated to the northshore, Baton Rouge, Houston, Dallas, and everywhere in between by looking at the map.

Archived