The Ultimate Southern College Town

krazeeboi

Which of these cities qualify as the quintessential college town?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these cities qualify as the quintessential college town?

• Athens
    • Chapel Hill
    • Charlottesville (VA)
    • Clemson
    • Columbia
    • Huntsville
    • Oxford (MS)
    • Knoxville
    • Tallahassee
    • Other

I tried to include the more popular college towns in the South. I included Charlottesville (home of University of Virginia), even though Virginia isn't part of the Southern USA forum. I wasn't familiar enough with the college towns in Louisiana and Arkansas to list any cities there (which is one reason why I included "other" as an option). I also tried to keep the larger cities, such as Atlanta and Birmingham, out of this poll.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baton Rouge

In some ways Baton Rouge feeds off of the spirit and pride around LSU, and in other ways LSU feeds off of the support and pride of everyone in Baton Rouge.

LSU now has around 40,000 students, and is a major part of Baton Rouge.

In terms of Sports, everyone is a huge LSU fan.

In terms of pride, LSU is tops not only in Baton Rouge, but in all of Louisiana.

I had to vote for Clemson. The universe here is centered around the university. Its very weird.

Athens, Columbia, Charlottesville, etc would still exist without their schools. In most cases the towns the universities were there before the school was (Columbia being the exception.. sorta). Clemson would be literally nothing without the University except a random small town stop on the railroad called Calhoun.

I had to vote for Clemson. The universe here is centered around the university. Its very weird.

Athens, Columbia, Charlottesville, etc would still exist without their schools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I voted Athens

On Athens:

Without UGA, that place would be some backwoods Western GA town of 4,000- people. That place was BUILT for and around UGA. It was a mill before that. UGA has brought the business to that city.

Many of these are larger cities with many other things than the college or university within. I voted for Oxford, though I see the same aura in Athens or even Clemson (though it is considerably larger than Oxford). Oxford is dominated by Ole Miss, though it too is growing. Fortunately, the city administration there does appear to have a clear idea of what their city should be. I'd hate to see it become just another suburb of Memphis.....

Well, as a non-Floridian, I know Tallahassee has FSU as well as FAMU. I'm not sure what Gainesville has.

Geesh, I said from the outset that I tried to get the more popular ones. You hear more about Tallahassee than Gainesville.

THIS IS WHY THERE IS AN "OTHER" OPTION, PEOPLE!

If you don't like the poll, then don't vote.

Well, I picked Huntsville because Birmingham was too big of a city for this poll's purposes, and I only know of one school down in Mobile (I believe it's University of South Alabama). I wanted Alabama to have some representation, so I just went with Huntsville because I knew it had at least two four-year schools.

Well, as a non-Floridian, I know Tallahassee has FSU as well as FAMU. I'm not sure what Gainesville has.

Geesh, I said from the outset that I tried to get the more popular ones. You hear more about Tallahassee than Gainesville.

THIS IS WHY THERE IS AN "OTHER" OPTION, PEOPLE!

If you don't like the poll, then don't vote.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey now, I voted "other!" :P

Gainesville, Florida has: the University of Florida and also Santa Fe Community College.

Doesn't Leon County (or the City of Tallahassee) have a required amount of "greenage" that you have to leave when constructing a new building?  I thought I heard/read that somewhere once, but I'm not completely positive.  I certainly love it that we have trees and grass everywhere.  I, frankly, would be depressed if it were to all be concrete and brick.  Growing up in Wakulla has me quite fond of trees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey now, I voted "other!"  :P

Gainesville, Florida has: the University of Florida and also Santa Fe Community College.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where'd Santa Fe come from?

Where'd Santa Fe come from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the name comes from the small town of Santa Fe (between Alachua, FL and Gainesville, FL).

As for the college, I just did some quick research. It was established in 1965 and today has over 25,000 students (roughly 50% of the size of the University of Florida). Most of Santa Fe's students transfer to U.F., I believe. Additionally, another neat tidbit is that Santa Fe has a teaching zoo which attracts thousands of visitors each year.

^ Oh yesterday's game broke my heart! Yet I would nearly consider it a win, Clemson is off to a great start this year, this team has a lot of heart & guts...

But I really would like wins with a wider margin, not sure how many of these 4th quarter comebacks I can handle. ;)

My pick for college towns: Athens, Chapel Hill, Charlottesville & Oxford. These are towns which the university fully overwhelms the entire town - especially on game days - & is the primary employer & economic generator.

krazeeboi,

I realize you had no previous knowledge of Gainesville before this poll, so I'll give you a few quick facts.

Gainesville is the home of the University of Florida, the 4th or 5th largest university in the nation depending on which figures you use. This semester's enrollment is 49,000. The city of Gainesville has a population of 100,000. Gainesville, much like Athens, Oxford, and others, would be nothing without the University. In addition, as RestedTraveler mentioned, Gainesville is home to one of the largest community colleges in the southeast with an enrollment of over 20,000 students.

I could talk for hours on why I think Gainesville is the ultimate college town. For those of you lucky enough to have spent time in Gainesville, you know exactly what I am talking about. No discussion of college towns, whether discussing towns in the south or nationwide, is complete without at least a mention of Gainesville, FL.

Archived