The Ultimate Southern College Town

krazeeboi

Which of these cities qualify as the quintessential college town?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these cities qualify as the quintessential college town?

• Athens
    • Chapel Hill
    • Charlottesville (VA)
    • Clemson
    • Columbia
    • Huntsville
    • Oxford (MS)
    • Knoxville
    • Tallahassee
    • Other

My vote was for Athens - gritty and edgy in a great way, lots of cool neighborhoods, a great downtown, and that music/cultural legacy (the 40 Watt Club, and all that sprang from it) is titanic.

Chapel Hill is probably second on my list, though in NC, Boone is pretty respectable as well - the bohemian vibe there is rather famous, and the scenery outside of town is spectacular. Worst winters in the south, but if ya like to ski...

• 1 month later...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say my top pick... was actually on the list... Athens... great town, great feel for UGA. the rest of my picks weren't even on the list.

Fayetteville, AR is one of the most beautiful college towns with lots of life and pride for the University.. there are great things going on in that town for the college. dickson street, enough said. Plus the city of fayetteville stands out from the rest of the NW Arkansas region which is sprawling out like crazy.

Next, Boone, NC. Home of Appalachian State University. True college town. beautiful

Next, would be a tie between three true southern college towns. Auburn, AL. Oxford, MS. and the one and only Starkville (Starkvegas) MS. Go Dogs!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived