920 Cherry, ICCF/Blodgett Home and Fairmount Square

joeDowntown

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree! The old building is awesome. When the 50's/60's additions come down, it will be a *HUGE* blight removed from that area. I can't wait!

Joe

I don't think that I have ever seen this building. I have seen the renderings and the vintage picture, but what does the (awful) addition look like. Does someone have a picture? (if it's worth taking a picture of it.)

The front of the addition, by itself really isn't that bad, but why on Earth did it have to be tacked on to the front of such a beautiful building?

Because during the urban renewal years, old was out, and suburban looking buildings were in. Until the historic preservation movement took hold, buildings like these were either bulldozed or altered to look more "modern".

The front of the addition, by itself really isn't that bad, but why on Earth did it have to be tacked on to the front of such a beautiful building?

Ahhemmm Mr. Andrew69@LTU. Let me post another picture because triple g's didn't do the building's ugliness justice.

Try this one.

picture1smaller7qi.jpg

For those that forgot here's what the restoration is going to look like.

picture2smaller1as.jpg

Don't make me invoke my LTU alumni credentials and have your degree stripped from you!! :D

Okay, that's probably enough pictures. :P

Other than the fact that it covers a truely beautiful building, I still wouldn't call the middle section of the addition "ugly" Some new windows, landscaping, and some "life" and the building could be cool modern lofts.

Of course, that would be if the building was is own structure and not part of a tacky conglomerate of additions. I'm certainly not disagreeing that it would be great to be able to see the restored facade.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're getting REALLY close to seeing something happen now! Today there are crews from SBC and Michcon around the building getting things ready. There are also quite a few vehicles around the building and guys with hardhats cleaning out the inside and filling up the dumpsters. Just a couple more days and the old part should start to come down!

According to the previous posts it will be the new ICCF headquarters.

Correct. ICCF will be in the old building and there will be about 36 townhouses that will go in along Hollister St. and a new street along the backside of the property.

There is also a new 6,500 sq. ft. commercial building slated for the NE corner of the property on the corner of Cherry St. and Cherry Dr.

I have to agree with Andrew, that there's nothing really bad about the addition to the front other than the crimes it committed to get built such as the destruction of the far more beautiful building behind it. However, for a good renovation to happen, this addition must be demolished. I'd rather see the beautifully restored building in the background.

Now, if this building was just a standalone structure, not blocking any other structures, I'd do everything in my will to renovate it. I'm thankful that designs were still relatively decent in the 50's concerning this structure. They could have built that ugly modernst crap we saw eventually in the 60's and 70's.

Not Ugly, Fugly. The pictures don't do it justice. Even if the D.A. Blodgett building weren't behind it, it'd look like a mid-60's prison building. Yum!

Joe

Okay, that's probably enough pictures. :P

Other than the fact that it covers a truely beautiful building, I still wouldn't call the middle section of the addition "ugly" Some new windows, landscaping, and some "life" and the building could be cool modern lofts.

Of course, that would be if the building was is own structure and not part of a tacky conglomerate of additions. I'm certainly not disagreeing that it would be great to be able to see the restored facade.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this project going to have some row houses? I thought that was part of the original plan.

Yes, there will actually be a new street put in behind the main building- read back towards the beginning of this thread, there is lots of info.

If someone has a camera ready (I don't), the demolition has begun!! One part of the "modern addition" is now a pile of bricks and the rest will come down soon! :D

Yes, there will actually be a new street put in behind the main building- read back towards the beginning of this thread, there is lots of info.

If someone has a camera ready (I don't), the demolition has begun!! One part of the "modern addition" is now a pile of bricks and the rest will come down soon! :D

Im going to have to get out to GR one of these days.

Archived