920 Cherry, ICCF/Blodgett Home and Fairmount Square

joeDowntown

hi all - just found this site, and i'm absolutely loving it...i'm in the local construction industry, an architect and green building professional, and to see so many people discussing local design, construction, and development is extremely exciting to me.

i happen to be part of the team for the iccf project, and i though i'd give an update (btw - hi jonathan!) - the old building is pretty much gone, and now the demo guys are just sorting the piles of junk to be brought to the respective recycling facilities - we are targeting a diversion of over 75% of the construction / demo waste from landfills - many hundreds of tons fo waste will be recycled instead of landfilled...

one of the things we were delighted to find was the very good condition of existing terra cotta that had been covered by the additions:

the interiors are really going to be quite beautiful as well - will post more as they become available.

...and to echo jonathan - thanks for the interest, and keep watching!

Cool to have some inside information on this project! Thanks for the update! The fact that much of the demo waste is being recycled is great. Who's the driving force behind that? The company you work for or ICCF?

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool to have some inside information on this project! Thanks for the update! The fact that much of the demo waste is being recycled is great. Who's the driving force behind that? The company you work for or ICCF?

well, the project is a LEED project. the LEED system essentially (short, short answer) is a rating system meant to quantify how "green" a project is. the system gives projects credit for diversion of construction waste from landfills.

many of the larger foundations that help fund non-profit and community projects (the wege foundation, frey foundation, and kresge foundation, for example) have begun suggesting LEED certification of project on the projects that they fund. gov. granholm has also made leed-compliant construction a requirement for state-funded projects.

beyond that, it makes financial sense for a contractor - we have to pay the waste hauler every time a dumpster gets hauled off a site. and we get charged less if it goes to a recycler than if it goes to a landfill. everyone wins.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the design for the formal garden that is supposed to go up front?

Joe

I have.

I'm not connected to ICCF, but know them well enough to suggest the following to help explain the garden:

Inner City Christian Federation is all about people living together in community. They design their homes to foster individual dignity; they have proven that pride of ownership ripples through and influences the stability of a neighborhood; and they intend to do no less with their offices.

The garden will be constructed on ICCF property with ICCF money. It is the "front yard" of their new office, but much more importantly, it is their gift of an inviting pocket-park for the neighborhood. It is given to enhance the neighborhood and in response to this community's generous support of their ministry.

ICCF does the right thing in the right place in the right way for the right reason.

The formal garden on Cherry is a reflection of who they are and, as a result, it will be very nice.

I'll see if I can get an image to post.

128880478_e6af079cdc_o.gif

The images below are outdated, but give a general idea of the plan. The alley on the west side of the garden may be eliminated, making the garden bigger. A new building will be built east of the garden completing the sense of enclosure on the east, west and south. The new building also hides the parking to its south. There is outdoor seating on the west side of the new building and benches throughout the garden. The medium green on the plan indicates perennial beds. The light green is lawn.

128882341_71e946b060.jpg

128880479_7916c10053.jpg

128880478_e6af079cdc_o.gif

The images below are outdated, but give a general idea of the plan. The alley on the west side of the garden may be eliminated, making the garden bigger. A new building will be built east of the garden completing the sense of enclosure on the east, west and south. The new building also hides the parking to its south. There is outdoor seating on the west side of the new building and benches throughout the garden. The medium green on the plan indicates perennial beds. The light green is lawn.

128882341_71e946b060.jpg

128880479_7916c10053.jpg

Wowzers! That looks pretty nice! That will certainly add to vibrancy of Cherry Street.

What is the timeline on this project? I know that a new street and townhouses will be going in the back of the property. When are they going to start, or is the main building the first priority?

Howdy,

I am the Director of the East Hills Council of Neighbors, the hood in which the project exists. First, I find it important to let people know that these projects, i.e. 920 Cherry, Center of the Universe, the re-development of Wealthy Street, do not spontaineously errupt. They are the results of years and years of grassroots organizing and advocacy. East Hills has been actively organizing around the re-development of 920 Cherry for over ten years. It is often the case that the role of neighborhood groups are forgotten once a developer steps up to the plate to undertake the project.

As far as a development timeline the project consists of four components, each with their own timeline. Obviously the multi-million dollar rehab of the main building by ICCF is underway. Bazzani Associates and Second Story Properties will begin construction of the first phase of new townhomes along Hollister in late spring/early summer, second and third phases will follow. The third component is a commercial structure at the corner of Cherry Street and Cherry Drive. The final, and often overlooked, part is the infrastructure improvements including: constructing a new street between Hollister and Cherry Drive; upgrading Cherry Drive; and creating entry points and parking areas for the entire project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

She's all cleaned up, warts removed, and ready to go.

No kidding! As stupid as it sounds, I feel happy for the building, its like it just got a big malignant tumor removed from its forehead and is feeling chipper again!

• 1 month later...

From the look of it, I'd say they have been doing a lot on the inside, whcih is probably more work than the outside. There have been work crews there every day that I have gone by, which is pretty much every day. From what I understand, the entire inside is being gutted and rebuilt and made modern with wires, HVAC, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything about the D.A. Blodgett buildings or the condos to the west of the building. Does anyone have an update on these projects?

Also, I see there is a new retail store moving in on Cherry ("Coo Coo" I think). Anybody know what it is going to be?

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything about the D.A. Blodgett buildings or the condos to the west of the building. Does anyone have an update on these projects?

Also, I see there is a new retail store moving in on Cherry ("Coo Coo" I think). Anybody know what it is going to be?

Joe

Not sure, but I think it's about to open. I walked past on Tuesday and the door was open and the inside looked mostly furnished.

Here are some Photos I took while walking the other day.

I saw some equipment on the site on Tuesday. Not too much of a change overall the past couple weeks.

Foundations for the new front porch will be happening very soon. The new front porch should begin to take shape shortly thereafter.

The project has all of its city approvals for phase 1, which includes the Blodgett building restoration, the retail building at Cherry and the park in front of the Blodgett building.

The park will be a very nice addition when completed.

Phase 2 and phase 3 includes the residential component along Hollister and the new Blodgett Street. These phases are now preparing to go through a final review at a future city planning commission.

The project should begin to see some activity, so get your cameras ready.

I don't recall seeing any renderings for the retail on Cherry, are there any out there?

Putting the Blodgett building back together doesn't look like an easy task. Can't wait to see things take shape.

I believe the retail referred to earlier in the thread isn't connected to the DA Blodgett project. It's a new storefront business opening a door or so down from the PikWik - closer to Diamond on Cherry. Not sure what kind of retail it's goin to be though...

Archived