Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

I went by Cleveland Park today and noticed that the sidewalk project that was approved last month is already finished.  It's a nice improvement to the area.  The street is really wide, so the new sidewalk was put in on the south side of the street using excess road width. There's also a nice bricked crosswalk (not raised, unfortunately) from the neighborhood to the park (though, they need to put up ped x-ing signs to make it more visible).  I also noticed that the park is much more active now that the playground is open. Good to see.

CPsidewalk.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's an article about the new sign. Three additional signs will be installed at the other interstate gateways to the county over the next year. Looks good!

watermark.gif&logoxpos=0&logoypos=0

Edit: Here's another article that says there's one on I-585 at California Ave, too. I'll have to check that out.  And another pic:

spartanburg-gateway_7.29.16.jpg

Edited by westsider28
Added additional link & photo
  • Like 1

I went to see the sign on I-585 today.  It looks awesome!  I'm so happy that City and especially County leaders have realized the importance of attractive gateways in influencing people's perceptions of a place.

IMG_1551.JPGIMG_1554.JPG

They also put streetlights on the California Ave bridge.  Very nice.

IMG_1546.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The City is finally installing new signage at city parks!  I recall them approving this like 2 years ago, so it took a while.  But anyway, the signage looks great!  Hopefully this will increase awareness & usage of city parks.  Here's some photos the City posted on FB of Duncan Park signage:

14079575_1331842846827142_96944436222256

14022222_1331842873493806_41308272768357

14034833_1331842896827137_52661481803004

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nine 'Seeing Spartanburg' installations

Public Art stokes civic pride in Spartanburg

The housing project is abandoned now. Eleven two-story structures, each the same, form a square. They sit in the economically stressed Highland neighborhood of Spartanburg. In April they will be demolished.

Early last month, these buildings became part of an unusual art installation. To visit them now, just after the sun has set, is to witness a remarkable expression of civic pride.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Pretty huge news: City Manager Ed Memmott has just announced that he will be retiring.  His leadership has played a massive role in facilitating all the growth and success of downtown that we've seen over the past decade.  I'm sad to see him go.  I hope the City can find a worthy replacement. (IMO, they should strongly consider promoting Asst City Manager Chris Story.)

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, spartanburgh said:

Chris Story would NOT be a good City manager.  Hopefully, they will find a dynamic go getter that will make things happen.

Okay, geez.  Any reason you are so adamant about that?  In my (admittedly limited) interactions with Chris, he seems modest but quite competent.  Maybe he's too passive for a leadership role? (not that Memmott is particularly demonstrative)  I don't know.  Regardless, I too hope the City finds someone who can continue our current momentum.

15 hours ago, spartanburgh said:

Chris doesn't possess the skills necessary to work with developers. I've been in meetings with him that would not have

turned out well if not for Ed intervening.

I know Chris and feel he can do a competent job BUT not sure about his expertise with financial institutions.  Memmott was brilliant at putting together complex deals with banks. 

• Like 1

I think Chris has been in training to be the next City Manager since he came from the county to work for the City some 7 or more years ago.   I think Council is familiar with him and comfortable with him, and I'd even say they like him.  

I certainly can't comment on or dispute other peoples' experiences with him in development type meetings.  But he currently oversees the development services departments in city government - planning, economic development, etc.  He already has a hand in everything that's going on and has been going on for the past decade.   I've worked with him in a variety of capacities over the years and I think he has a strong understanding of a very complex organization, and of the broader community, its challenges, opportunities, etc.  I've had enough conversations with him about big-picture issues that I know he has vision, but he remembers the little stuff, too.  

I think it's important to remember that the #2 in any organization does not have the freedom of action that the chief executive has.  The #2 has to figure out his role, how to complement the #1, how to fill in where the #1 might need more help.  If you are the #2, you don't get to set the agenda, you don't really get to have an agenda.  You are often following someone else's lead or working under the parameters they set for you.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, Historyguy said:

I think Chris has been in training to be the next City Manager since he came from the county to work for the City some 7 or more years ago.   I think Council is familiar with him and comfortable with him, and I'd even say they like him.  

^This. IMHO.

• 1 month later...

And, City Council effectively named Chris Story as its next city manager tonight, pending the negotiation of his contract.  The vote was unanimous but came after a fairly long executive session that appeared to break down between those who wanted to go ahead and appoint Chris and those that wanted to do a search.  Even the members who were interested in a search were not opposed to appointing Chris, some just wanted to see how he might stack up against someone else.  

I'm glad they went ahead and made their choice.  The pool of potential city managers out there isn't really all that deep, and I daresay there's nobody who understands the complexities and challenges in the community better than he does.  

I don't mind Chris Story for the position, but I think a search should've been done.  While familiarity with the community is beneficial, an outsider would have brought in new ideas and new perspectives, which I think would've been valuable.  I may be wrong, but I perceive a bit of a "small-town" mentality in this choice, as if we're scared to open up.  We'd rather go with the comfortable choice rather than take a risk that could elevate our city.  Also, what was the rush?  Story could've been the interim manager while a search was done to evaluate all our options.

I hate to say it, but compare this process to Greenville, where their City Manager search has only begun and candidates are being sought on a national scale...