Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

2 hours ago, westsider28 said:

I don't mind Chris Story for the position, but I think a search should've been done.  While familiarity with the community is beneficial, an outsider would have brought in new ideas and new perspectives, which I think would've been valuable.  I may be wrong, but I perceive a bit of a "small-town" mentality in this choice, as if we're scared to open up.  We'd rather go with the comfortable choice rather than take a risk that could elevate our city.  Also, what was the rush?  Story could've been the interim manager while a search was done to evaluate all our options.

I hate to say it, but compare this process to Greenville, where their City Manager search has only begun and candidates are being sought on a national scale...

I'm glad the city made the decision it did.  There is merit to seeking an outsider.  However, I've learned that outsiders typically jump from city to city.  Chris, as was Ed, is devoted to this community and won't be seeking out another city for higher pay and prestige. 

Good luck to Greenville but I think Spartanburg made a wise choice. 

• Like 3

I agree. It's tough to find dedicated and talented people who want to stay in Spartanburg. If you can find one like Chris, let them have a shot at it.

Also, if I recall correctly, he was the Planning manager at the County many years ago. Granted, the County doesn't actually do planning, but typically people with that mindset understand a broad array of issues and make good leadership.

There may indeed have been merit in going through a longer process, however, a full national search might have cost $25-50,000.  And then a manager coming from elsewhere (who might have not even stayed long) would have found him or herself spending a year learning all of the players, learning the council members, learning the community's history, figuring out all the development agreements that are underway.  While I will concede that things like that happen in other places with council-manager systems, it could have put a year's lag into our community momentum.  

I also take some issue with the notion that some outside person can come in and sprinkle fairy dust over our community's very real problems and somehow make everything better.  Senior staff and council members have the ability - and I'd even say the obligation - to look at what other places are doing.  That's why many of them go to the state municipal association conference, to the National League of Cities, and other conferences to see how other places handle issues.  

Spartanburg did bring in managers from the west coast in the early 2000s - one from Oregon, I think, and one from southern California.  The first left really fast.  The second stayed for 5 years or so, and I never met him, I don't really know much about him.  

An old friend of mine indicated to me that Greenville's search wasn't turning out to be that fruitful.  Finding the right fit for your city manager is not easy, so I'm glad we had someone that council believed fit the bill.  

• Like 3

Fair points all around.  Like I said, I'm fine with Chris.  He was my first suggestion up-thread (followed by criticism from others).  But I think it's an important enough decision that the time and money would've been worth it to do a search.  I'm also not saying an outsider would magically solve all our problems, just that their different perspective could be beneficial.  I realize Council and staff do a lot of learning about other places, but a conference can't give you what years of experience can.

Anyway, I think it would be nice to get an outsider as Assistant City Manager then.  Even if that's someone relatively young.  Then they can learn from Chris while providing a different viewpoint where it can be helpful.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 2

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20030820/former-city-manger-segregation-led-to-early-departure

Former Spartanburg city manager Bonnie Kraft told a Wyoming newspaper that Spartanburg’s “natural segregation” and “old-family control” hastened her departure after only eight months on the job.

Kraft, who resigned from her Spartanburg position in April, will begin work Sept. 15 as the city manager for Laramie, Wyo.

“In Spartanburg, I discovered that you have white neighborhoods and black neighborhoods, and white churches and black churches,” Kraft told a reporter with the Laramie Boomerang in a story published Monday.

She added that separation of the races in these settings made her “uncomfortable.”

“I had a friend who told me I was just naïve, and this is the South. I said, ‘I know, but it’s not 1960,’ ” Kraft told the paper.

Linda Dogan, a Spartanburg city council member and an African American, said the racial divide in Spartanburg is not as bad as the former city manager portrayed it.

“We’re more diverse than that,” said Dogan, who had several public quarrels with Kraft before she resigned. “We don’t live in a segregated community. There are some communities that have been one way or another for a long time. Sure, we have some work to do.”

Dogan said Kraft was “out of her element” in Spartanburg because she’d never worked with many African Americans.

″(Kraft) doesn’t know how to deal with black people that are not subservient to her,” Dogan said. “I understand there aren’t many black people where she’s going, and none on City Council. She’ll probably fit right in.”

Before she came to Spartanburg, Kraft had been city manager of Gresham, Ore., which has fewer than 2,000 black residents, according to 2000 census figures.

Laramie’s population is 7 percent nonwhite, according to 2000 census reports.

Kraft’s statement to the Laramie paper that Spartanburg is run by a few families also is at odds with the views of council members.

Councilwoman Lib Fleming

said people who provide a large economic base for a community do have their voices heard, but so do other people, neighborhood groups and individuals.

Fleming pointed to Trey Davis, a 16-year-old Spartanburg High School student who several years ago rallied City Council to save the Magnolia Street Train Depot.

“I would say that’s not any different any place,” Fleming said. “Look at Bill Gates in Seattle. I can’t think of a time in my 10 years on the council that we haven’t made an effort to get community consensus and move forward. I do not think just a few families run Spartanburg.”

Kraft, a native of Buffalo, Wyo., could not be reached for comment Monday or Tuesday.

Laramie Boomerang stories that feature Kraft’s comments about Spartanburg have traveled by e-mail to the computers of many city residents.

Spartanburg Mayor Bill Barnet said late Tuesday he didn’t feel like exerting “much effort to comment on a story that appeared in a newspaper 2,000 miles away.”

“Bonnie came into an environment, whether from Wyoming or Oregon, and it didn’t click,” Barnet said. “She didn’t feel connected. It doesn’t seem right for her to comment on the socio-economic climate of Spartanburg. This woman didn’t make a tremendous effort to be connected. If Laramie wants Bonnie to be their city manager, I’m happy for her.”

Edited by djh1963

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Spartan said:

interesting. Why would it be on East Main approaching N Pine. Shouldn't it be before St John?

Also, St John is already a "bypass." Is there a move to use DMA instead of St John, or restrict trucks or something?

I'm mystified.  This is the first time I've seen / noticed these shields.  If there's a "plot" to make Daniel Morgan a "bypass" route its news to me. 

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Very little has been built since 1980. 

That's a fun map!

SC has grown by 3 million people but also has fewer government employees than it did in the 1980s. Not saying there needs to be an exponential increase in the size of government, but it seems like you'd need to increase staff in order to maintain a consistent level of service. Incidentally, SCDOT has let the roads go to crap. I'm sure it's unrelated to funding and staffing levels though.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, roads-scholar said:

The "Roads-Scholar" discovered these shields this morning.  The first on East Main Street approaching North Pine Street.  The second on North Pine Street just before Daniel Morgan Avenue. 

29byp1.jpg

This sign (corner of East John and North Pine has been removed.  

29byp2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...