Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

• 3 weeks later...

Since I came in after the poll and stuff concerning Greenvile/Greer, I just wanted to thank Spartan for leaving the forum the way it is. As long as I know where to look for something I'm good. However, I don't think of a project totally in Spartanburg county as a "greater Greenville" project, but understand the compromise. Same thing with GSP.

As far as Spartanburg posters, I agree that we need more people to read and share their knowledge about Spartanburg development, but I'm more concerned with the quality of post and not quantity. (my opinion). I'd rather read a few significant post than 2-3 pages of the merits of Piggly Wiggly. I would love to read more in the Greenville section, but get bogged down.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words hub-city. You are exactly right, and that was ultimately one of the deciding factors in my decision. I would just assume use the County line as the reference point, because I, and many fellow Spartans consider Greer a part of Spartanburg too. I know I always have. The airport is something that I have never considered "in Greenville." Though to hear some Greenvillians talk you'd think it was.

One of the goals for both sections is to encourage more constructive and intelligent conversation, less banter, and simplicity in locating topics of interest... so expect to see more of it. Other forums do not do this. I have always maintained that eliminating the Spartanburg subforum would be a bad idea. So don't worry, it isnt going anywhere!

As for Spartanburg, yeah, I wish that more people would comment on anything/everything. We have a lot to talk about... and it is by far one of my favorite subjects to talk about. We just need more people to take enough interest to sign up to UrbanPlanet and participate. This is the ONLY place to find this type of discussion on the 'net. For those of you that do participate, it is very much appreciated. For those of you who lurk in the darkness, please joined the enlightened circle and share your thoughts. :shades:

Thanks for the kind words hub-city. You are exactly right, and that was ultimately one of the deciding factors in my decision. I would just assume use the County line as the reference point, because I, and many fellow Spartans consider Greer a part of Spartanburg too. I know I always have. The airport is something that I have never considered "in Greenville." Though to hear some Greenvillians talk you'd think it was.

One of the goals for both sections is to encourage more constructive and intelligent conversation, less banter, and simplicity in locating topics of interest... so expect to see more of it. Other forums do not do this. I have always maintained that eliminating the Spartanburg subforum would be a bad idea. So don't worry, it isnt going anywhere!

As for Spartanburg, yeah, I wish that more people would comment on anything/everything. We have a lot to talk about... and it is by far one of my favorite subjects to talk about. We just need more people to take enough interest to sign up to UrbanPlanet and participate. This is the ONLY place to find this type of discussion on the 'net. For those of you that do participate, it is very much appreciated. For those of you who lurk in the darkness, please joined the enlightened circle and share your thoughts. :shades:

Spartan, you're an excellent moderator. Keep up the good work!

Spartan, you're an excellent moderator. Keep up the good work!

I fly several times each year and I generally use Charlotte instead of GSP. I live on the East side of Spartanburg and its only about 15 minutes more to CLT because their airport is so far South of the city and the choices are much better. I usually stay 7-12 days and the savings just to park are huge. I think this is just one more advantage people living in Spartanburg have over people living in Greenville. We have 2 good choices of airports and Greenville only has one. I was on a shuttle recently and coincidentally everyone on the shuttle was from Spartanburg (9 people in 3 different groups), another reason GSP is more used by G'ville people than Spartanburg. We also have a much better Interstate system than Greenville and I think the recruiters should use these facilities to help sway companies to Spartanburg.

I fly several times each year and I generally use Charlotte instead of GSP. I live on the East side of Spartanburg and its only about 15 minutes more to CLT because their airport is so far South of the city and the choices are much better. I usually stay 7-12 days and the savings just to park are huge. I think this is just one more advantage people living in Spartanburg have over people living in Greenville. We have 2 good choices of airports and Greenville only has one. I was on a shuttle recently and coincidentally everyone on the shuttle was from Spartanburg (9 people in 3 different groups), another reason GSP is more used by G'ville people than Spartanburg. We also have a much better Interstate system than Greenville and I think the recruiters should use these facilities to help sway companies to Spartanburg.

Charlotte (CLT) has been one of the costliest hubs due to US Airways dominance there. But you're right, Spartanburg is within an hours drive of Charlotte and that gives us another choice besides GSP.

Good, affordable air service is very important to companies seeking to relocate and expand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spartanburg recieved an "honorable mention" recognition from the League of American Bicyclists of cities who are bike friendly. We are the first city in South Carolina to achieve that status.

In the past 1 and a half years the city has made tremendous improvements to bicycle infra structure... bike racks, the rail trail, and bick racks on some SPARTA busses among other things.

article

Wow, I certainly would have thought that Greenville would have had this honor first in SC. Kudos to Spartanburg!

I chuckled when I first heard this news. It is a nice designation, and one that is sure to come to other cities in the state with plenty of cycling already taking place throughout town. Good for Spartanburg to be first on the list. ;)

Edited by Skyliner

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I was driving (and admiring) the redesigned section of

I-585 / US-176 near USC-Upstate when I was aghast to see an error on the overhead signage approaching Business 85. The signage incorrectly shows Business spur 85 shields on the overhead signs directing motorists to the ramps for the northbound ramp to Charlotte and the southbound ramps to Greenville. The shields should read Business loop 85.

I have since notified SCDOT of the error.