Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

Were you heading into or out of Spartanburg? The signs headed out seem to be correct, but I haven't driven inbound lately.

Driving in (eastbound on I-585 / US-176) is where I noticed the error. By the way, I heard back from SCDOT and here is their response:

Dear Mr. ______,

Thank you for your interest in the I-585/US 176 project. You are correct in that the signs should read Business 85 Loop and not Business 85 Spur. We will address this matter as soon as is practical. Again, thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,

Hope Grumbles

Wow, you guys have great eyes. I was looking at the color of the badging, and didn't even see the word "spur".

Any idea of why they didn't put a veer off to USC Upstate where Bus. 85 comes into 585?

I'm not really clear on what you're referring to but if its an exit ramp from southbound Business 85 a new ramp has been constructed. A ramp from northbound Business 85 was not considered. To reach USC-Upstate from northbound Business 85 a motorist must exit at Hearon Circle and use the new access road to the campus.

There is a ramp headed southbound on 85? Is it back where the Miliken bridge is? I know they changed the frontage road putting an off ramp, but I didn't realize they put a new on ramp except for the on at hwy. 9.

The new ramp onto 585 from the southbound bus. 85 lane has a bridge that goes over the Upstate campus' intersection, (East Campus Blvd.) but it doesn't have an access. You You have to go up 585 to Valley Falls road and come back, or get off at hwy. 9 and go up to the side entrance (North Campus Blvd). At least that's what it looks like at 60 mph.

There is a ramp headed southbound on 85? Is it back where the Miliken bridge is? I know they changed the frontage road putting an off ramp, but I didn't realize they put a new on ramp except for the on at hwy. 9.

The new ramp onto 585 from the southbound bus. 85 lane has a bridge that goes over the Upstate campus' intersection, (East Campus Blvd.) but it doesn't have an access. You You have to go up 585 to Valley Falls road and come back, or get off at hwy. 9 and go up to the side entrance (North Campus Blvd). At least that's what it looks like at 60 mph.

Hah, all of you are correct!

Northbound 85 BL options are to get off on Hearon Circle and go up Lone Oak to East Campus Blvd, or keep going up to Valley Falls to access North Campus Blvd.

OR

Exit at Milliken Rd, and use that to access North Campus Blvd

Southbound 85 BL options are:

Exit at Boiling Springs Rd and use the frontage roads to access North Campus Blvd

Exit at 585 and use Valley Falls to access Norht Campus Blvd

Southbound students definitely have the most difficult time accessing campus. I guess that comes with the territory though. All users of 585 (which is probably the majority of students) now have much easier access to campus via East Campus Blvd which has a full interchange.

Changing the subject here, folks, but I don't know where else to ask this question.

Where is Harrell Drive in Spartanburg? There is a beautiful house for sale there, and I am curious about it.

My parents live in Chester, my son is a student at Clemson, my daughter lives in Charlotte, and here I am way out here in Washington State. I am looking to move home this spring and am trying to find a place that DH will like and that's not too far away from any of the family.

Changing the subject here, folks, but I don't know where else to ask this question.

Where is Harrell Drive in Spartanburg? There is a beautiful house for sale there, and I am curious about it.

My parents live in Chester, my son is a student at Clemson, my daughter lives in Charlotte, and here I am way out here in Washington State. I am looking to move home this spring and am trying to find a place that DH will like and that's not too far away from any of the family.

Harrell Drive is out on the eastside. Take East Main to Zion Hill Road and turn left at the Ingles supermarket. Follow Zion Hill approximately 1/2 mile. Harrell will be on your left.

Good clean neighborhood with nice homes.

Harrell Drive is out on the eastside. Take East Main to Zion Hill Road and turn left at the Ingles supermarket. Follow Zion Hill approximately 1/2 mile. Harrell will be on your left.

Good clean neighborhood with nice homes.

Whistle stop is right except, you should turn right on Zion Hill instead of left. Its a great neighborhood.

An interesting letter to the editor today. Its an interesting point, but I wonder how many people would agree?

Probably not your typical Spartan. When people hear "density," all they can imagine is more people, which means a further strain on resources. And without an effective, functional mass transit system in place, it also translates into more congestion, which means more cars on the road. I think if you take some of the buzzwords out that so many seem to have problems with (opting to use terms like "infill" instead), perhaps people will be more able and willing to think the solutions through.

• 2 weeks later...

Spartanburg is home to 3 of the states top 10 private companies. Milliken is once again the #1 company. "Combined revenues for the 100 companies are $19.8 billion, compared with $15 billion last year."

1- Milliken & Co. (textiles)

4- JM Smith Corp. (pharmacutical/distribution)

8- Dearybury Oil & Gas Inc.

Other cities with top 10 companies:

Columbia- 3 (2, Cola; 1, Lexington)

Charleston/N Chas- 2

Fort Mill (Charlotte)- 1

Mauldin (Greenville)- 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is a good article in the LINK about Spartanburg and the happenings around town. It talks about the ever increasing activity around downtown and the new resurgence of life into downtown nieghborhoods like Hampton Heights. The Preservation Trust gets a nice plug for their efforts.

People are moving to town and liking what they see, so they stay.... also, people are moving BACK, which I htink is more important.

I think this article sheds some light on the positive things going on in Spartanburg, but we still need to work on changing the local youth mentality that Spartanburg is not a fun place to be.

There is also a good article about Oscar's, our new tapas restaurant on Main St

After actually reading the article, I think this statement at the end of the article succintly captures what is so alluring about Spartanburg in the eyes of those interviewed:

The conscious effort of handing people in their 20s and 30s the tools to mold city, is resulting in feelings of pride.

In the big "hip" cities these days--Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte, Portland, Seattle, etc.--regular Joes wouldn't really have the opportunities to be movers and shakers like they would in Spartanburg. So 10, 15, 20 years down the road, when looking at the progress of the city, the people interviewed and those like them can say, "I had a direct hand in making that happen," whereas the people flocking to the larger cities are simply enjoying the fruit of others' labor and have a much harder time making something happen themselves.