Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The Spartanburg County Library has added a new (to me at least) section of historic aerial images of downtown to their digital collection.  Lots of views (and time periods) I've never seen before.  Very interesting!

Fantastic historical resource.  Its fascinating how dense downtown was in 1956!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, djh1963 said:

The one thing that strikes me while looking at these photos is that Spartanburg has wasted a lot of space for surface  parking lots  over the years.

yup

On 3/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, roads-scholar said:

Fantastic historical resource.  Its fascinating how dense downtown was in 1956!

Thanks for sharing. I've seen a lot of historic photos, but never any of these!

20 hours ago, djh1963 said:

The one thing that strikes me while looking at these photos is that Spartanburg has wasted a lot of space for surface  parking lots  over the years.

I'm 63 years old and have lived and worked in Spartanburg most of my life.  These photos bring back mostly good memories.   One of the most striking changes has been the area now referred to as Renaissance Park.  Most of this area was industrial with warehouses and a railroad spur servicing it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, djh1963 said:

Apperantly Jennifer Evans is leaving Spartanburg for Orlando. https://www.facebook.com/unitedarts

Wow.  That's an impressive new position.

Spartanburg will certainly miss her leadership.  She played a huge part in expanding cultural offerings in our community.  It will be a big task to find a replacement who can fill her shoes.

Statement from Chapman Cultural Center

Google Maps updated their satellite imagery for Spartanburg today.  It looks like it's from late-January / early-February 2021.  Previous imagery was from 2019.  Lots of new construction can be seen.  For a map nerd like me, this is exciting.  :D 

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Google Maps updated their satellite imagery for Spartanburg today.  It looks like it's from late-January / early-February 2021.  Previous imagery was from 2019.  Lots of new construction can be seen.  For a map nerd like me, this is exciting.  :D 

Right on the money, Google Earth says January 28, 2021.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Check out the number of red clay housing developments - they're all over!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took a Google Map stroll from  the West Main at Forest Street location roads-scholar just posted toward town. Isn't there a buried creek near Wakefield Buick? Wouldn't it be great to daylight it and have some kind of water feature in that vicinity?

Edited by BorninSparkleCity
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BorninSparkleCity said:

Took a Google Map stroll from  the West Main at Forest Street location 585 just posted toward town. Isn't there a buried creek near Wakefield Buick? Wouldn't it be great to daylight it and have some kind of water feature in that vicinity?

I think it is part of the same creek that they uncovered for the butterfly greenway near the farmers market. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Butterfly Creek runs underneath Wakefield Buick. 

What'd like to see is a few of those vacant parcels on Walker turned into a public park. Then dam up Butterfly Creek somewhere near Henry St and create a good sized pond between Henry and West Main and make a nice park out of an area that is unbuildable for development.

• Like 4