Spartan

Spartanburg Off-Topic

I would buy some Spartanburg Peaches paraphernalia!

@westsider28 I'm looking into the de-archiving process for that thread. It's an automated thing and apparently I can't easily undo it myself. Keep posing here for now, and I'll move all the posts over there when I get it sorted out.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 6:05 PM, westsider28 said:

Here's an article about how the recent Duncan Park stadium renovations helped land a CPL team.  The franchise is relocating from Gastonia, who got a new Atlantic League team.  The new Spartanburg team plans to make more upgrades to the ballpark that will boost attendance numbers and help the team serve larger crowds, like creating group areas down the lines with tents and tables.  Beginning in November, the franchise will ask for the community's help in naming the team through its soon-to-be-created social media channels.

What do you think the team name should be?  I'd like to see a throwback, like Peaches.  Good mascot/merch/activity potential around that name, too.

The website where you can submit your team name suggestion is now live here - https://baseballsc.com/

Submitting also gets you a free ticket to a game!

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 6:05 PM, westsider28 said:

Here's an article about how the recent Duncan Park stadium renovations helped land a CPL team.  The franchise is relocating from Gastonia, who got a new Atlantic League team.  The new Spartanburg team plans to make more upgrades to the ballpark that will boost attendance numbers and help the team serve larger crowds, like creating group areas down the lines with tents and tables.  Beginning in November, the franchise will ask for the community's help in naming the team through its soon-to-be-created social media channels.

What do you think the team name should be?  I'd like to see a throwback, like Peaches.  Good mascot/merch/activity potential around that name, too.

@Spartan Can you un-archive the Duncan Park Stadium Renovation thread?  Seems like that's a better place to talk about this.

Sorry, I posted in the admin's forum in October and then totally forgot about this! Neo is going to un-archive the thread. I'll move the content over there once that happens.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, westsider28 said:

Spartanburg County has finally hired a communications manager and has established social media presences on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.  It's about time.

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/local/2021/01/28/spartanburg-county-communications-manager-boost-social-media-presence/6695792002/

Well, he didn't last too long!  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Historyguy said:

Well, he didn't last too long!  

Spartanburg sure knows how to pick them. Lol. He must have been celebrating landing the new job. He isn’t now though. :D 

Edited by gman430

The CPL team name is: Spartanburgers.  While I'm surprised Peaches wasn't even a finalist, and I preferred Sluggers of the finalists, I think this name has the potential to grow on me.  I know that lower-level baseball team names are often goofy/ridiculous, and this fits the bill.  Not sure about the hot-pink color, but whatever.  I bet kids will love the name/branding.  The team expects to launch merchandise sales in March.

826595473_Spartanburgers-Diner-Wordmarkcrop.jpg.660951757572317b258050bab11eec88.jpg

1058643281_Spartanburgers-Burger-Mascotcrop.jpg.477617d3b1e64ec41b00082bdffd4e59.jpg

I don't mind the ridiculous nature of lower league baseball teams, but I've always hated this term , mostly because it sounds dumb, but also because of the culturally grey terminology surrounding the demonym of Spartanburg. I know in my life I've heard "Spartanburgian," "Spartanburger," and my personal favorite, "Spartan" (obviously). But colloquially I've always felt like we avoid the term relative to other cities. Living in Charlotte, we use the term "Charlotteans" a lot more, and dutifully roll our eyes at references/jokes about the word "charlatan." Tangentially, my other thought is that I'm not a fan of the "BURG" merchandise. That's the least original part of the name. I could never buy it and wear it in Charlotte because people would assume its a reference to Mecklenburg County.

To my mind, "Spartan" is the more accurate term, because that's what the soldiers in the Spartan Regiment would have likely called themselves. But I suppose Spartanburger is a natural successor since cities ending in "burg/burgh" tend to use "-er" as their demonym (ie: Pittsburgh = Pittsburgher, Hamburg (Germany) =  Hamburger). I feel like this team name will probably lead to more alignment around the term Spartanburger as awareness in the community increases. But it still feels awkward to me.

My only question is how the team will style themselves. The "Spartanburg Spartanburgers" is weird. Hopefully they just stick with "Spartanburgers" and call it a day.

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/02/18/spartanburg-coastal-plain-league-baseball-team-name-spartanburgers/4490987001/

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The CPL team name is: Spartanburgers.  While I'm surprised Peaches wasn't even a finalist, and I preferred Sluggers of the finalists, I think this name has the potential to grow on me.  I know that lower-level baseball team names are often goofy/ridiculous, and this fits the bill.  Not sure about the hot-pink color, but whatever.  I bet kids will love the name/branding.  The team expects to launch merchandise sales in March.

826595473_Spartanburgers-Diner-Wordmarkcrop.jpg.660951757572317b258050bab11eec88.jpg

1058643281_Spartanburgers-Burger-Mascotcrop.jpg.477617d3b1e64ec41b00082bdffd4e59.jpg

I'll buy merchandise just for the branding. It's humorous and fun! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The Spartanburg County Library has added a new (to me at least) section of historic aerial images of downtown to their digital collection.  Lots of views (and time periods) I've never seen before.  Very interesting!

Fantastic historical resource.  Its fascinating how dense downtown was in 1956!

• Like 1

The one thing that strikes me while looking at these photos is that Spartanburg has wasted a lot of space for surface  parking lots  over the years.

Edited by djh1963

12 hours ago, djh1963 said:

The one thing that strikes me while looking at these photos is that Spartanburg has wasted a lot of space for surface  parking lots  over the years.

yup

On 3/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, roads-scholar said:

Fantastic historical resource.  Its fascinating how dense downtown was in 1956!

Thanks for sharing. I've seen a lot of historic photos, but never any of these!

20 hours ago, djh1963 said:

I'm 63 years old and have lived and worked in Spartanburg most of my life.  These photos bring back mostly good memories.   One of the most striking changes has been the area now referred to as Renaissance Park.  Most of this area was industrial with warehouses and a railroad spur servicing it.