Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

First time in a good while drove past the Startex mill on the way to Cowpens. The amount of litter between Spartanburg City limits and Cowpens is appalling. I have lived in two other states and visited about twenty or so more.  Spartanburg County has the worst litter problem that I have encountered.   The county and city needs to do a better job of cleaning our roads. We have had some statewide ant-litter campaigns, but need to do more. It is embarrassing, stupid and costly. 

3 minutes ago, drexel said:

First time in a good while drove past the Startex mill on the way to Cowpens. The amount of litter between Spartanburg City limits and Cowpens is appalling. I have lived in two other states and visited about twenty or so more.  Spartanburg County has the worst litter problem that I have encountered.   The county and city needs to do a better job of cleaning our roads. We have had some statewide ant-litter campaigns, but need to do more. It is embarrassing, stupid and costly. 

The Chamber started Keep OneSpartanburg Beautiful somewhat recently, but so far it just seems to be occasional clean-ups and social media postings.  It's only addressing the symptoms, not the root cause.  Clean-ups can't keep up if littering keeps happening at a high rate.  What we really need are changes to laws, including higher fines for littering and limiting disposables from stores/restaurants.

And in the end, it's going to take a culture change, which is very difficult these days.  Littering is a selfish act with no regard for the greater community, and unfortunately selfishness seems to be at an all-time high.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 5:13 PM, westsider28 said:

The Chamber started Keep OneSpartanburg Beautiful somewhat recently, but so far it just seems to be occasional clean-ups and social media postings.  It's only addressing the symptoms, not the root cause.  Clean-ups can't keep up if littering keeps happening at a high rate.  What we really need are changes to laws, including higher fines for littering and limiting disposables from stores/restaurants.

And in the end, it's going to take a culture change, which is very difficult these days.  Littering is a selfish act with no regard for the greater community, and unfortunately selfishness seems to be at an all-time high.

I share your disgust with all the litter - its an embarrassment.  

Recently I participated in a volunteer litter pickup.  It was an eye-opening experience.   Everything from car parts to styrofoam cups to bags of household garbage had been tossed along the side of the road.  We collected hundreds of bags of litter in just three hours!  Yesterday I drove through Arcadia (an area I grew up near) and was blown away with the sheer volume of litter beside the road.  

Growing up in the 1960's Americans were bombarded with TV commercials admonishing us not to be "litter bugs".  Maybe we need more of that.  Maybe we need to get serious about enforcement of existing litter laws.  Maybe our public officials need to speak out more.  Maybe the news media ought to bring it to our attention.  Simple volunteer litter pickups is not enough.  It will require a culture change.

I travel a lot and see litter everywhere. Its not just a Spartanburg problem BUT it does seem worse here.

Edited by roads-scholar
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Keep OneSpartanburg Beautiful is definitely ramping up the litter pick-ups.  I've seen them post about at least 4 upcoming.  However, as someone who has been involved in a volunteer organization, frequent volunteer-staffed work is often unsustainable.  Unless you're really good about casting a wide net in the community, you generally get a small-ish core group of reliable volunteers who eventually get burned out.  It also gets frustrating picking up someone else's trash in the same areas over and over.  Still think we need more prevention efforts...

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

Wasn't sure where to put this, but here is the Draft of what the City plans to spend their $16.5M of federal ARPA funds on:

Boost supply of affordable rental units - $3.5M

Boost homeownership - $2M

Fixed-income homeowner assistance - $1M

Homeless services - $750k

Hello Family (previously approved) - $1.5M

College and Career Transitions - $1.5M

Implementation Capital for Highland Transformation Plan - $1M

Neighborhood enhancements in qualifying census tracts - $750k

Modernized Policing Technology - $1.5M

Modern fire department headquarters - $3M

7 hours ago, camtology said:

Does anybody have any updates on the transportation investigation or board that was announced sometime around a year-ago, would love to hear about what data has been collected so far

The downtown transportation study is still in progress.  In fact, I saw many temporary traffic cameras and other monitors around downtown just this evening.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The City of Spartanburg has launched their new website!  It's built on the CivicPlus platform which is what the County, City of Greenville, and many others use.  I haven't explored it yet, but it should be more organized and easier to navigate, particularly when it comes to finding meeting agendas and minutes (and other documents).

23 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The City of Spartanburg has launched their new website!  It's built on the CivicPlus platform which is what the County, City of Greenville, and many others use.  I haven't explored it yet, but it should be more organized and easier to navigate, particularly when it comes to finding meeting agendas and minutes (and other documents).

I noticed on small error but its inconsequential for most people.  City has been notified.  

• 3 weeks later...

Billy Idol is coming to the Memorial Auditorium on Saturday, April 29.  The new director has been doing a great job attracting shows, IMO.  We've had more and better shows in 6 months than the last several years combined.  Air Supply, Grace Potter, Alice Cooper, and 38 Special are coming.  We've already had Sister Hazel and Cravin' Melon, Buddy Guy, Zach Williams, and Shen Yun.  They've also been utilizing "The Hall" (basement) for smaller shows with a more flexible setup (like standing room).  Hopefully we continue to get more shows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Billy Idol is coming to the Memorial Auditorium on Saturday, April 29.  The new director has been doing a great job attracting shows, IMO.  We've had more and better shows in 6 months than the last several years combined.  Air Supply, Grace Potter, Alice Cooper, and 38 Special are coming.  We've already had Sister Hazel and Cravin' Melon, Buddy Guy, Zach Williams, and Shen Yun.  They've also been utilizing "The Hall" (basement) for smaller shows with a more flexible setup (like standing room).  Hopefully we continue to get more shows.

Saw Judah and the Lion (adult alternative) last night at the Orange Peel in Asheville. That venue is about the size of 'The Hall' at our Auditorium.  Agree that the new management is doing a much better job. But having so many young/college kids living here the Auditorium could have more current/newer music. Love the old stuff, but we should be able to support both. Sister Hazel was great a couple of months ago in Hall/lower arena.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 6:22 PM, westsider28 said:

This sucks,  of all the beautiful places in Spartanburg to use for the photo they use the black lives matter sign in the street. Disgusting!

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, spartanburgh said:

This sucks,  of all the beautiful places in Spartanburg to use for the photo they use the black lives matter sign in the street. Disgusting!

The photo you  reference  is of a clock tower, correct?  I believe that was the subject of that photo more so than the sign. If you are trying to start a discussion on BLM, this is not the place for that. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, hub-city said:

Cliff notes?  I know you can’t quote the article, but I don’t subscribe to the HJ anymore so I can’t see the main idea.

Basically that the Auditorium new management is bringing in more entertainment than in the past few years.  Also more variety and using the Hall as much as possible. The Hall/lower arena can hold up to 2,000 people.    

8 hours ago, drexel said:

Basically that the Auditorium new management is bringing in more entertainment than in the past few years.  Also more variety and using the Hall as much as possible. The Hall/lower arena can hold up to 2,000 people.    

I met the auditorium manager yesterday.  He has 40+ years experience managing venues bigger than SMA and he knows the business like he knows the back of his hand.  Spartanburg is lucky to have him.

He mentioned a few things of note:

• the auditorium will soon announce a Broadway series.
  • a new website will be launched soon.
  • large and small booking agents have taken notice of the auditorium.
  • future bookings for both the theater (upstairs) and arena (downstairs) are way up.  Downstairs has a new stage and sound system for smaller acts. 
  • a new roof is planned next year.
  • the auditorium is looking to add more staff as business is demanding it.  
  • the auditorium is working with the county to ensure the property across the street (currently the county administration building) is redeveloped to complement the auditorium.
Edited by roads-scholar
I'm
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 3:01 PM, NotNotSanti said:

Such a great informational post! Thanks, SBR.

Also, saw that Holliday Brewing in Inman requested their alcohol permit. Anyone know how close they are to opening?

On 5/16/2023 at 11:53 AM, roads-scholar said:

I met the auditorium manager yesterday.  He has 40+ years experience managing venues bigger than SMA and he knows the business like he knows the back of his hand.  Spartanburg is lucky to have him.

• future bookings for both the theater (upstairs) and arena (downstairs) are way up.  Downstairs has a new stage and sound system for smaller acts. 
  • the auditorium is working with the county to ensure the property across the street (currently the county administration building) is redeveloped to complement the auditorium.

Broadway Series would be absolutely awesome!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 11:53 AM, roads-scholar said:

I know this is a stretch, but as someone who drives this road almost daily I would love for this part of church street to become 2 lanes instead of four. Cars are just going way to fast for an event venue that holds a couple thousand people to effectively move. I would be interested to see what they could do with the lot that is now the county gov building to help visitors

• Like 1

I have heard rumors of a convention facility here too. There would be a skybridge to connect to the existing auditorium.  This conflicts with

the rumors of the grain district convention facility.   Maybe there will be a ball park in the grain district and convention facility across from

the Auditorium? 

• Like 1