Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

That is pretty amazing please keep me posted. This would make an amazing story. We would love to be the ones to tell it. Let me know as soon as you can do an interview.

Whoever you work for will definitely not be the only source to tell this story. This will be something everyone will be talking about in detail as they read it in their local paper, or see it on their local TV news station, or find it somewhere on the Internet.

Congratulations. Is your background in research or something science-related?

Thanks! I'm still in major disbelief, to be honest. It doesn't feel like I'm going. I'm still waiting on the catch, even though I already know what it is. I'm just happy to have my wife's blessing. The first 10 hours after telling her, I didn't have her blessing AT ALL. I owe her BIG TIME. :yahoo: hehe

• 3 weeks later...

This is hilarious.

Jim Harper, a city BZA member, has lodged a complaint with the state Department of Revenue to block the issuance of a liquor license to Hooter's. Here's the funny part though.... he says he didn't know that the reason Hooter's annexed was to get the license. Apparantly he doesn't know much about how things work in this state.

Apparantly this guy has never been to the westside of town.

One of his reasons is that its located too close to the mall to sell liquor because he mall is a place for teens and families. He must not know about all of other restaurants inlcuding Olive Garden, Hops, Red Lobster, O'Charley's, Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's, etc. all of which are located nearby. Not to mention the ABC store right behind the place. And Garfields, which is IN THE MALL.

Another is that a kid got shot at a notoriously bad nightclub not far away. Obviously thats related to a well established restaurant chain. [/sarcam]

This guy must be an idiot.

I think he needs to be removed from the BZA immediately, if this is his idea of looking out for the community. There are far more pressing issues for Spartanburg to be concerned with.

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...amp;SectionCat=

This all seems so familiar... Oh yeah. I think I read this in a children's story once. Let's see if I can remember it...

See the Hooter's owner(s).

See the Hooter's owner(s) bring revenue in taxes to the city. :good:

See the Hooter's owner(s) get denied a liquor license because it would be bad for the community. (Just nevermind the fact that the city had a majority vote to annex the location so that Hooter's could obtain a Sunday Liquor License.) :shok:

There was a follow up story too. It went like this:

See Bill.

See Bill run. :scared:

See Bill go have a drink at the mall because Hooter's was denied a liquor license for their proximity to the mall. :alc:

I rode through Spartanburg on my way back from Artisphere in Greenville this evening, and had a chance to drive by Barnett Park. Even though I didn't get out to explore it, from what I could see, I made two observations: 1) it's entirely too passive of a park (I think this was discussed at some point); there looks to be too much open space and nothing that makes the place interactive (which a large water feature would do, a la Finlay Park in Columbia) and 2) there's nothing really around the park (i.e., residential, office, etc.) in order to ensure that it's used on a continual basis. Parks should really be a walk-to destination instead of a drive-to destination.

How accurate would these assessements be?

Somewhat accurate. However, there is a large water fountain that is quite popular in the summer at the corner of Converse and St John. There is also a neighborhood directly behind it (North Dean) that could stimulate more use, but its not a very well maintained neighborhood.

This isn't a "passive" park in terms of the true definition of such a thing, but it is definitely not a destination park, like Finlay in Columbia. I don't think it was designed to be, either. It was originally a way to get a community gathering place an clean up a little bit of blight too. (someone correct me if thats not right)

The problem that you identified is that Barnet Park is not well connected to the rest of downtown at this point. Its only 2 blocks away from Main St and 3 or so from Morgan Square, but the land between these areas is not condusive to walking or even biking at this point (though I expect that part will change).

Since you don't really see Barnett as a destination park, would you advocate that the city A) create an actual destination park from scratch, much closer to center city or B) just wait until the park becomes more integrated into downtown and upgrade it accordingly?

I think downtown Spartanburg would see more activity overall if Barnett were truly a center city park. But the exciting part is seeing more of downtown creep towards that area.

Both. I think there are better places for a park in Spartanburg, and that could be more useful and be more of a draw to downtown. The land just west of the tracks on Main St acxcross from Wakefield Buick is a perfect place for such a large park with a creek that could be damed for a pond/lake with a fountain. There are many possibilities.

However, the day that Barnet acutally becomes a destination park is the day that the rest of downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods are revitalized to their fullest and people want to be downtown. Its a good location geographically, uts just not connected very well, physically.

It was a part of the downtown Master Plan, and so far as I know is incorporated into that. I also saw ideas for a dog park, and other pocket parks around downtown. But I haven't seen anything about the Master Plan- I had hoped we would see something by now (they talked about a booklet or something).

• 2 weeks later...

Spartanburg is going to be a stop on the PBA Tour in December. ESPN will have live broadcasts from Spartanburg. Qualifying rounds will be Dec 12-15 at Shamrock Lanes on East Blackstock Road, and Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium (SMA) will host the nationally televised finals Dec. 16.

"Since Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium has no bowling facilities, the PBA will construct regulation bowling lanes and an arena with seating for spectators. About 2,700 tickets will be sold for the five-day event."

I'm not really much on professional bowling, but this is a really cool thing for Spartanburg to have. For a city this size, we well go the extra mile in attracting random sporting events like this. This will be some good exposure for Sparkle City.

Here's an article about the affordability of the Spartanburg housing market. According to the National Association of Home Builders' housing market index, Spartanburg has the seventh most affordable housing market in the Southeast and the 43rd most affordable in the nation, making the area a place where 73 percent of homes in the last quarter of 2006 were considered affordable to those with median incomes.

Does anyone know what happened to the City Connector newsletter? the City published its "first" one year ago, and they specifically said in that issue that it would be a quarterly publication. Since then I have neither seen nor heard of this newletter. I thought it was an interesting concept, and I rather enjoyed reading it, since it had a lot of project updates, and it was a good way to keep everyone informed about what was going on in the City. Anyone know what is going on there?

• 1 month later...

Didn't know where to post this, but I wanted to share my thoughts on Red White and Boom.

I went last night to the event at Barnet Park. It was a great crowd. The facilities were nice and I thought it was very well put on. :thumbsup: I was a little dissapointed that the admission was $15. I'm used to events being free or atleast cheaper than $15. But, in the end, my expectations were met and surpassed. It was worth it. Also, the fireworks were spectacular. Well done, Spartanburg.

And it was great to see Spartanburg really jumping. I had forgotten that the Miss South Carolina stuff was going on and this made the downtown area very busy. :shades: