Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just getting around to reading this... but I know developers and companies coming from out-of-market find it surprising, and in some cases shocking, that we have so many areas in the Upstate without zoning in place.

One influential member of the county council is a land developer. Not unusual for Spartanburg or many other local governments but a factor nonetheless.

Others on the council or planning commission are also involved with land development or real estate, are they not?

Members of the council are a fairly diverse group. Jeff Horton, the council chairman, for example is into insurance and investments. O'Neil Mintz sells scrap iron. I could go on but I think you get the point.

However, the longer the tenure of local politicians the more they're susceptible to the appeals of developers.

• 2 weeks later...

This was posted in the Anderson Forum... I thought some of you might be interested in voting ;)

On South Coast League's site, their current fan poll is "Where would you like to see SCL expand?" Altanta Metro Area, Tallahassee, FL, Spartanburg, SC, Valdosta, GA, or all of the above are the options. The poll does not mean the league will guarantee expansion teams to those localities, but they are great locations for future teams.

I like to see Spartanburg get a team, as it can provide healthy competition with the Joes.

This isn't really relevant to anything, but I thought this was a great article about what this guy is doing for the community. He's creating a city-wide scavenger hunt. Its also interesting that he's using the bus to get around for many of his activities. Its almost unheard of in Spartanburg to use the bus unless you have to. Its great so see someone taking an initiative like this.

This isn't really relevant to anything, but I thought this was a great article about what this guy is doing for the community. He's creating a city-wide scavenger hunt. Its also interesting that he's using the bus to get around for many of his activities. Its almost unheard of in Spartanburg to use the bus unless you have to. Its great so see someone taking an initiative like this.

Spartan, you do a terrific job participating in this forum. Keep up the good work!

That's great! I like the idea of this and fact that he's tying in the bus system. This could really yield some great things for Spartanburg.

• 2 weeks later...

Spartanburg is the only city in the state to make the list of the Top 25 Cities to live and go to school from RelocateAmerica.com. Its a pretty good write up on what Spartanburg has achieved in redeveloping its downtown, and what the area in general has going for it. It speaks highly of the community, the economy, the arts scene, and of course the schools. This is great publicity for Spartanburg.

http://www.relocateamerica.com/south-carol...ies/spartanburg

Spartanburg is the only city in the state to make the list of the Top 25 Cities to live and go to school from RelocateAmerica.com. Its a pretty good write up on what Spartanburg has achieved in redeveloping its downtown, and what the area in general has going for it. It speaks highly of the community, the economy, the arts scene, and of course the schools. This is great publicity for Spartanburg.

http://www.relocateamerica.com/south-carol...ies/spartanburg

Thank you Spartan for posting this link. I knew it wouldn't be long before the Sparkle City started getting some good press!

Here's another weird artsy thing for Spartanburg: A couple is going to live their lives downtown for a week: in public. "They will eat, drink, sleep, perform, paint and blog in front of anybody who walks by on Main Street... The goal, the two said Monday, is to promote downtown and its fledgling art scene, and to show in a unique way what urban life in downtown Spartanburg is like."

They say the biggest obstacle is the lack of a grocery store downtown. They do get to leave for meals if they want to... but they have to stay on Main Street between Spring St and Converse St.

Article