Richmond Schools and Education

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Chesterfield's student population continues to grow...

"According to Chesterfield County Public Schools' latest enrollment numbers, classrooms swelled by another 1,097 students this year. The increase brings the total number of county students to 56,750, which includes 336 students who attend governor's schools. As of September 19, Henrico County Public Schools had 46,902 students including the governor's schools. Henrico has the second largest public school system in the Richmond metro........

....New schools are in the building pipeline, thanks to last year's successful bond issue. Cosby High School opens in the fall of 2006 followed by two elementary schools in 2007

• 1 month later...

Looks like my old stompin' grounds are a brewin' with controversy... should cellphone towers be allowed on school property? They plan to install these towers in an interesting way... they would also double as light poles for Monacan Stadium's floodlights. GO CHIEFS! :yahoo:

Kevin Page and his neighbors are asking Chesterfield County leaders, "Can you hear me now?"

They are concerned about a proposal by Omnipoint Communications to put two cellular towers at Monacan High School.

Page and others are worried about the possibility of long-term health risks for the more than 1,600 students who attend Monacan and neighboring Gordon Elementary School......

If approved, the Monacan towers, at a height of 115 feet, would take the place of the two existing light poles near the football field, one on either side of the grandstands. Currently, the light poles are about 100 feet high.

The metal towers would have flush-mounted antennas, as well as new lights.

Cell Phone Towers proposed on school property in Chesterfield...

• 4 months later...

ONLY 4 posts in this thread dating from last year? After all the debating going on elsewhere, we don't even mention the dismal failure that is Richmond Public Schools?

If I could ever convince She Who Must Be Obeyed (an RPS Middle School teacher) to post here and/or RCW...

ONLY 4 posts in this thread dating from last year? After all the debating going on elsewhere, we don't even mention the dismal failure that is Richmond Public Schools?

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but UP isn't really a place for discussing the social and administrative ills that plague the RPS school system. It's more oriented towards urban development. It could go in the Richmond coffeehouse though?

Definitely... and I didn't mean to come across the wrong way or anything. It's just that I enjoy it here because sometimes one can only take so much of the bickering on RCW. And while the discourse there has a place, sometimes it's nice to talk about the good things...

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond school on list of Public Elites

The Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for Government and International Studies in Richmond made the 20 school list of public elites this month, according to Newsweek in conjunction with its release of the best high schools in America. The public elites were separated from the rest of the list because their high performance would have skewed the list. The school draws some of the brightest students in the region.

Good job smart kids! :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

5 Richmond Area Schools Make Newsweek's Best List

Five of the country's best public high schools are in the Richmond metropolitan area, according to a Newsweek report.

The five are James River, Midlothian, Clover Hill and Monacan in Chesterfield County and Atlee in Hanover County.

Of the 27,000 eligible U.S. high schools, 1,358 -- about 5 percent -- made Newsweek's list. James River ranked 205th, Midlothian 457th, Clover Hill 893rd, Atlee 937th and Monacan 1,022nd.

Ahem, and one of which I attended :tough:

• 8 months later...

Bad and Good News...

Let us start off with the bad. Budget cuts for Chesterfield County Schools (nbc12 article):

http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=9823204

On a more positive note, Henrico County Schools will not make any budget cuts (inrich.com):

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-055604/203564/

IMO it is absolutely irrational to make budget cuts in education, especially in a jurisdiction that is seeing an increase in population.

Well maybe people will stop crowding into Chesterfield for a little while...

...and hopefully back into the City.

Chesterfield County will continue to grow. Budgeting for education needs to be online with population growth. It seems like many jurisdictions do not understand that concept.

Bad and Good News...

Let us start off with the bad. Budget cuts for Chesterfield County Schools (nbc12 article):

On a more positive note, Henrico County Schools will not make any budget cuts (inrich.com):

IMO it is absolutely irrational to make budget cuts in education, especially in a jurisdiction that is seeing an increase in population.

I will tell you what I see. Chesterfield School Super over-budgeted. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see this coming. The Chesterfield School Chief just played an old Richmond Schools play; bury your head in the sand, keep funding programs that are not needed and act all surprised and panic when you get $54million less than you pipe-dreamed for. Then, to keep your job safe, you organize a bunch of teachers by using the bully union, and a few kids that are up way past their bedtime, and come down to the planning commission meeting and shed a few tears. Yep, play up the English as a second language program, blah, blah, blah. Hey, I hear Carol Wolf is free. Maybe she can go down there and lend a hand. No one played the "damsel in distress" better than her. "Please! Not the children!!". Of course, the local media hacks eat that crap up and make the poor ol' superintendent look like the local hero when actually he is an idiot.

I can't wait to see Richmond's drama in a few months.

Bad and Good News...

I will tell you what I see. Chesterfield School Super over-budgeted. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see this coming. The Chesterfield School Chief just played an old Richmond Schools play; bury your head in the sand, keep funding programs that are not needed and act all surprised and panic when you get $54million less than you pipe-dreamed for. Then, to keep your job safe, you organize a bunch of teachers by using the bully union, and a few kids that are up way past their bedtime, and come down to the planning commission meeting and shed a few tears. Yep, play up the English as a second language program, blah, blah, blah. Hey, I hear Carol Wolf is free. Maybe she can go down there and lend a hand. No one played the "damsel in distress" better than her. "Please! Not the children!!". Of course, the local media hacks eat that crap up and make the poor ol' superintendent look like the local hero when actually he is an idiot.

I can't wait to see Richmond's drama in a few months.

Many jurisdictions made the mistake of over-spending when property assesments were rapidly increasing. Now that property values have of come down, the spending is still there. OOPS!!! "..we have a budget gap. Let us start our spending reduction with education..."

:angry:

Many jurisdictions made the mistake of over-spending when property assesments were rapidly increasing. Now that property values have of come down, the spending is still there. OOPS!!! "..we have a budget gap. Let us start our spending reduction with education..."

:angry:

"Henrico schools plan no budget cuts"

Now I am not saying that they are perfect, but hey, you have to admit, that's pretty tight management of your tax dollars right there. I don't expect Richmond to have as much of a disparity between school budget and actual funding as Chesterfield schools did, but the 'pain' will surely be there. It always is when it comes to the annual begging session.

I totally understand the frustration of watching munipal spending go out of control with the "new found wealth" of over-inflated property values, as did many others. What can we do? No one seems to have a conservative spending bone in their body. It's like watching kids with the Halloween loot after trick or treating.

I would think that RPS could begin to pre-act by biting the bullet and closing Chandler Middle School. Wilder tried to get them to do this for years. But what did he know? He was just a crazy old man. Right? When I heard that RPS may have to close Chandler, the first thing that came to mind was Wilder saying the exact same thing over 2 years ago. RPS is going to have to tighten-up a bit and hopefully come out better than Chesterfield.

• 6 months later...

Richmond universities ranked fairly well in US News and World Report.

Once again, VCU is Number one in Sculpture, and its Fine Arts Department ranks fourth in the Nation. The University's nurse/anesthesia program is ranked in first place.

Among Liberal Arts schools, The University of Richmond ranks 30th.

From today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loc...-220007/287408/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived