Augusta Mall

DigitalSky

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was going to say the same thing stevenrocks. i haven't been to that mall in 10 years. is it still doing well?

on a different note, the trees really cover up all of the residential areas. it looks like nothing is there, but there are subdivisions everywhere. i guess that's a good thing. not like alot of the new clear cut residential developments today.

The funny part about how the mall looking late 60s/early 70s is that it was built in 1978  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course, Augusta is behind the times on everything so that would make sense. The interior of Augusta Mall is more 80s than 60s (i.e, more natural lighting, industrial-looking fixtures, the Disney-eque food court).

Augusta Mall was the winner in Augusta. Not too far to the east sits a four-anchor, empty fright once known as Regency Mall. Augusta Mall originally just had Rich's and Davison's. The Davison's (now Macy's Furniture) may look 60's from a distance, but actually is very modernist 70's up close. The Rich's (now Macy's) looks very typical of the early 70's designs, though it oddly more closely resembles the now demolished Davison's at Cumberland Mall in Atlanta than the typical Rich's designs used in the era. Regency and Augusta Malls opened within days of each other in a mall race, but Regency was doomed from day one lacking good location, the two key Georgia anchors of Rich's and Davison's and the crime problems that finally killed it for good.

Augusta Mall really became powerful when it gained J.B. White (now Dillard's) from Regency Mall, resulting in a pretty solid midscale anchor lineup by 1998. It was that year that Sears and J.B. White both added anchor slots to the mall. However, the mall's survival can be reasonably based on the fact that there are no others left in town. It should be noted that renamed anchors J.B. White and Davison's both were originally in downtown Augusta prior to the opening of the two malls.

Of course, Augusta is behind the times on everything so that would make sense. The interior of Augusta Mall is more 80s than 60s (i.e, more natural lighting, industrial-looking fixtures, the Disney-eque food court).

I really wish I'd been around when Augusta still had department stores and serious shopping downtown. The Whites building is still one of my favorites downtown, mainly because I love the water tower on top of the building. Supposedly it's been in condo conversion for a while, but I haven't heard of any activity lately.

I really wish I'd been around when Augusta still had department stores and serious shopping downtown. The Whites building is still one of my favorites downtown, mainly because I love the water tower on top of the building. Supposedly it's been in condo conversion for a while, but I haven't heard of any activity lately.

I am just old enough to remember the last days of Augusta's old shopping district downtown in the 1970s-- White's, Davison's, Penny's, the 'upscale' Cullum's, Ruben's, Rosenthal's, Sky City, Schneider's music-- vibrant retails was all up and down Broad St. The city seemed to have more of a cosmopolitan air then than it does now too, with big Delta jets arriving at Bush Field and a more visible civic-minded upper class (the old Hill crowd vs. today's gated Westlake crowd). Even then though, pre-mall, downtown was losing out to Daniel Village, National Hills, and the Sears on Walton Way.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this on the News. Augusta Mall IS GETTING A COMPLETE NEW MAKEOVER, to be smiliar to the New Riverwatch lifestyle center Development. And an 135,000 sq ft Open air expansion plan with about 20 more stores. Also similar to the renovention plans for Cumberland Mall in ATL.

mall.jpg

EXPECTED COMPLETION: SPRING 2007, in time for Augusta Mall's 30th Anniversary

Thats awesome. I guess it thought it better do something to be able to compete with the new one out on Riverwatch parkway. I think both Malls will do fine, as there is plenty of growth in South Augusta/West Augusta to support the Augusta Mall, and Evans, Columbia County and North Augusta to support Riverwatch. Too bad something cant be done to the Regency Mall. I drove by there about a month or two back and there are TREES growing out of the side of the mall!!!!

Thats awesome. I guess it thought it better do something to be able to compete with the new one out on Riverwatch parkway. I think both Malls will do fine, as there is plenty of growth in South Augusta/West Augusta to support the Augusta Mall, and Evans, Columbia County and North Augusta to support Riverwatch. Too bad something cant be done to the Regency Mall. I drove by there about a month or two back and there are TREES growing out of the side of the mall!!!!

Yeah, that is terrrible that Regency is not being revived. I guess the interstate access is king to these types of developments. I hope they really find use for that property soon

Well, it seems that both the Augusta Mall and the new Riverwatch place will be UC at the same time...if all goes as planned. Another mall war like bakc in the 70's when Regency Mall and Augusta Mall both opened in the same week. I wonder what high-end stores will be there?

• 1 month later...

Well, it seems that both the Augusta Mall and the new Riverwatch place will be UC at the same time...if all goes as planned. Another mall war like bakc in the 70's when Regency Mall and Augusta Mall both opened in the same week. I wonder what high-end stores will be there?

I think Augusta is ready for high end.

Also, I think the Dillard's store at Augusta Mall is the most beautiful Dillard's in the chain str0457.jpg

I think Augusta is ready for high end.

Also, I think the Dillard's store at Augusta Mall is the most beautiful Dillard's in the chain

Yes I agree it is the best one IMO, in Augusta Metro and out of all the ones I've seen in GA. It was only about a year I think that this store was a J.B. White before it changed. BUt originally this was a J.B. White. In fact all of Augusta's Dillards were once J.B. White's. Does anyone remember if the store was bought out by Dillards, or did J.B. Wite just change the name and expanded their stores?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The mall renovations and expansion is expected to begin in July starting with the levelin of part of the old Macy's in order to make room for two major retailors, new restaurants and specialty stores. Construction for the new Starbucks' will begin in a couple of weeks.

Archived