Augusta Mall

DigitalSky

Seems like somewhere I read they are also planning a hotel at the mall. Is that in the plans anytime soon?

I heard that when the mall expansion was first announced. It was only stated as a possiblilty so maybe they decided not to go with it, or maybe they still haven't decided.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an update on the mall expansion. Originally the the lifestyle addition was slated to be 135,000 sq. ft but now it's slated to be 180,000 sq. ft. which is about 45,000 more than originally planned. Here are a couple of photos.

95993.jpg

95992.jpg

This looks really good. By next summer the Augusta metro will have 3 major shopping malls/Lifestyle centers, (Im including the Aiken Mall) along with all the heavy retail going up in Evans and the Augusta Exchange in west Augusta. The area around the new Lowes/Walmart in North Augusta and Peach Orchard Road in South Augusta seem to be adding new stores/restaurants consistantly too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm behind the times on the mall situation in Augusta. I have lived in Atlanta for 30+ years but I was born and raised about 70 miles SW of Augusta and growing up all our "city shopping" was done in Augusta. I haven't been to Augusta in over 15 years but I remember my mother and I shopping at Regency Mall while there. Is Regency Mall completely closed now? This is hard to believe if it's true. It seemed like such a nice shopping center when I was there many years ago. It sounds like you're saying the placed has just been left there to rot. If so, that's just criminal.

------------------------------

update: Just found the separate thread on Regency Mall. I guess that answers my question. That's too bad.

• 3 weeks later...

The Build-A-Bear Workshop opened today with a ribbon cutting ceremony. My brother works at the mall and he said it was packed. He also said work will begin next month for renovations to the inside of the mall.

I wonder how many of Augusta malls shops will move or put second locations at Riverwatch commons when it opens next year. Im not saying Augusta cannot support two large malls, after all it has added almost 100,000 people since the death of Regency Mall, but we also have to look at all of the other new Power Centers and smaller Lifestyle Centers that are being built in the metro area. Augusta Exchange or Mullins Crossing were not there to compete back in the early 90's. Add The Forum, Marshall Towne Square, and the hundreds of thousands of sq. ft. of retail space getting ready to be built in Evans and we could have a overabundance of retail coming soon.

Look for instance at Greenville SC. It originally had 3 malls, but 1 of them is dead (now a part of a tech school) and the other is on its way out VERY soon. The only mall now is Heywood Mall and while they did just build a new Lifestyle Center on Woodruff road, it looks to be much smaller and with more big-box, power center type stores, (more like an Augusta Exchange with fountains) than the 100 or so planned stores at Riverwatch Commons.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I wonder how many of Augusta malls shops will move or put second locations at Riverwatch commons when it opens next year. Im not saying Augusta cannot support two large malls, after all it has added almost 100,000 people since the death of Regency Mall, but we also have to look at all of the other new Power Centers and smaller Lifestyle Centers that are being built in the metro area. Augusta Exchange or Mullins Crossing were not there to compete back in the early 90's. Add The Forum, Marshall Towne Square, and the hundreds of thousands of sq. ft. of retail space getting ready to be built in Evans and we could have a overabundance of retail coming soon.

Look for instance at Greenville SC. It originally had 3 malls, but 1 of them is dead (now a part of a tech school) and the other is on its way out VERY soon. The only mall now is Heywood Mall and while they did just build a new Lifestyle Center on Woodruff road, it looks to be much smaller and with more big-box, power center type stores, (more like an Augusta Exchange with fountains) than the 100 or so planned stores at Riverwatch Commons.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I think you may find some duplicate stores at the Riverwatch but I think you will find more stores that are new to the area. There are still so many stores that are not in Augusta yet that should be here.

On another note, here's an article about the Build A Bear grand opening that happened last week.

the article

• 2 weeks later...

Macy's Furniture Store will close on July 15. Of course we all know that the top floor will be removed to make way for the lifestyle addition but the bottom floor will be renovated as well. I'm guessing they are going to extend the mall through the bottom floor instead of leaving it as one space for one tenant.

Also Nine West will be coming in a couple of months.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Wow, I see no one has posted what's new about this yet, so I'll do it. Here are some renderings released today for the NEW mall expansion and renovation. I like most of them, except for the inside. I guess I was sort of expecting a fitting interior design more like Perimeter Mall in ATL, but I guess the Open web truss roof prevents that thing from happening. I don't know it may turn out better than it seems to look like here. FTR, I do like those glass-plated handrails.

172503.jpg

Rendering of new interior

172504.jpg

Present Day Construction

172506.jpg

Present Day Food Court Interior

172508.jpg

Rendering of Expansion, now under construction

Looks like Coldwater Creek is also going into one of the new spots at the Mall. I wonder if those stores will have locations at The Villages at Riverwatch too, since they are so typical of Lifestyle Centers. Also, has 9-West reopened their Augusta Mall store yet?

• 2 months later...

Im sure they will put a Banana republic in the Villages of Riverwatch, at least Id think they would. I dont see Augusta having 2 Chicos, Id assume the Surrey Center spot will close. Id also imagine Talbots will open a spot either here on in the Villages, but 2 Talbots would work in Augusta, (at least they do in similarly sized Greenville.) Any news on the Forum development in West Augusta? They promised my Moms neighborhood association they would have a Chicos, but I cant see it happening now.

Archived