Augusta Mall

DigitalSky

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny you mention that. My husband was in Augusta tonight and had a look at the site that you speak of. Firehouse Subs had their soft opening this afternoon and he got to meet the franchisee for FH Subs. Looks like we're a day late once again. That's okay, we'll find somewhere to go.

Why doesn't this town have a Banana Republic? Not that I"m a huge fan or anything (okay I am a huge fan!!!).

And the Starbucks in the old Pier One building in front of the mall is good. I've been going there every morning. I'm addicted to corporate coffee. Sue me.

Im glad to hear that area is bouncing back (the mall area). You know, after the Villages are built there will be 5 areas in Augusta that are booming with retail. The Mall area, Augusta Exchange/Wheeler rd area, The Villages, Evans, and the Knox Rd. area of North Augusta.

Richland Ave. in Aiken will also become a new major destination once the new Walmart Supercenter opens there and all of the associated development that comes with it. This will also be the closest shopping to all of the new homes in Graniteville, so expect this to be a primary retail corridor in 5-10 years. In fact, I think Richland could theoretically become more significant that Whiskey Rd, because a) there's room to expand to 3 lanes, b) more thru-traffic to Augusta (on Richland) than to New Ellenton and SRS (on Whiskey), c) proximity and easy access to downtown Aiken, northside Aiken, USCA, and the valley, and d) potential to plan better to prevent the choking traffic and stoplights every 50 feet that is the current Whiskey Rd.

^ I don't think there's more traffic, it just moves MUCH slower. The problem is more the layout of the road than the traffic count... Businesses were built closer to the road back when that was the thing to do, so expandability is an issue. There are too many curb cuts and not enough connectors between businesses and side streets. There just aren't enough options (yet) to get off of Whiskey and head towards residential areas. I think planners will be surprised at how well the new businesses on Richland will do. I suspect it will be a draw not only for the Northside and Graniteville, but also for some southsiders who just want to avoid Whiskey...

• 2 weeks later...

williams & sonoma, & dicks sporting goods are nice stores, but im sure village of riverwatch can get a market not in augusta to. Its going to get built because evans, martinez, n.aug, & aiken arent going anywhere. This is their main target plus we knew augusta mall had taken most of the upscale markets first but theres so many stores not in augusta. Also i heard from a family member who works at the mall that augusta mall may not get banana republic but riverwatch might. So u never know augusta mall probably got most of the upscale like williams & sonoma, & coach but mid level stores like banana republic, or a forever 21 my sister likes this store for some reason probably will get gobble up by riverwatch. This will be very surprising if augusta mall turns out to be the upscale mall compare to the village which i think most ppl thought would be the upscale mall.

I think Augusta is large enough now to support 2 large malls now so even if Riverwatch gets built it may get some of the same stores. I dont find it too odd that a city with half a million people, possibly 600,000 by the time Riverwatch opens.. should have two major malls with semi-upscale shops, along with other moderately priced stores (Dicks, etc)

And yes...Dicks was supposed to go into one of the outparcels for the Villages of Riverwatch. I still think its a go though. Wish they would hurry up with the plans though..this dry weather is perfect for construction!

yea nbc augusta has a article to confirming these stores but it says augusta mall will be getting 40 big name new stores, i thought only 10-15 stores & 2 resturants i guess it expanding alot more than expected. The stores confirmed are ann taylor loft, chico, cold water creek, white house black market, dicks sporting goods, banana republic, williams-sonoma, p.f. changs, & J. Jill. Some stores that are expanding are radio shack, motherhood maternity, & charlotte russe. The mall will build a new food court & children's play area, also the coach store will be even bigger now. Intresting if augusta's coach will be the size of a department store i was thinking it would be a smaller one with a limited selection to choose from i guess not. The mall opens Nov 8 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the latest article in the Augusta Chronicle, the interior of the mall will add several more new stores including Sketchers, Aerie, The Buckle and Hollister.

Some more new stores mentioned for the outside area are Barnes and Noble (already announced), The Walking Co., Mcalister's Deli, (I was wondering yesterday when Augusta was going to get one of these!), and The Chop House.

The Mall is also looking at opening a new Hotel. To tell you the truth, Im glad this area is getting all of these new stores. The Wrightsboro road area had the potential to become the areas next Gordon highway if it werent for the expansion of the mall. Now the road is booming with growth!

• 1 month later...

Archived