Must we be logged in at all times...

zenstyle

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard about this tonight from my friends. I told them to check out the site, but they said you can't see the forums unless you are a member that is signed in. Not a very good way to promote growth - but I might be missing some other reasoning too. Anyone know what's up?

hmm...

forum members also ought to know that urban planet is fussy about what email addresses it accepts to register for membership...

i tried to join for about two weeks using either a hotmail or yahoo account, but it rejected me--i first thought it was a glitch in their software, and just tried again after a few days...

i wrote emails to the various contacts provided, and never got a single response over a two-week period, so i figured the hosts were sort of in an absentee landlord mode of operation, lol...

then a lightbulb dawned, and i registered using my true business email addy--voila!, membership immediately accepted...

the first thing i did of course is go to my profile, and switch my email contact to a less personal yahoo account, which the software now accepted...

if anyone wonders why membership doesn't grow and grow, i'm sure its because a lot of others would give up after trying to register with a hotmail or yahoo account (probably gmail too i suspect, but don't know for sure)...

:blink:

ps: of course if prospective members cannot even read these posts to determine whether and how they might wish to join, this message, and none of the others on the forum are going to do any good at all--this is a classic "Catch 22", lol

:w00t:

For now you must be logged into UP to read the GR section. Not all sections are restricted but this section currently is.

We do not allow direct registrations from yahoo or hotmail because we get so many spammers and kids from there. Many sites that have gotten as busy as we are, and who don't want a bunch of troublesome kids, have added this restriction. We may add others if it starts to become an issue.

The help section of UP is always available for viewing and explains all of these restrictions.

We have added over 200 members in the last 4 days so I don't think these restrictions are too unreasonable.

"For now you must be logged into UP to read the GR section. Not all sections are restricted but this section currently is. "

I don't know whether this policy was in effect when I discovered the forum accidentally by doing a google search on some grand rapids downtown building information...--the google links gave me full reading access at that time until I was finally able to join...

Could I ask who determines this current restrictive policy please, GR forum members, GR forum moderators, or UP hosts?

How is this forum ever going to be influential in making Grand Rapids a better place if we can't get Grand Rapids folks interested in urban life and living to read and think about the issues raised here??????????

I would think the most enlightened policy would be the whole world can read, but you have to join to contribute?

:(

I mentioned in the Watering Hole just the other day how much I liked that you didn't have to register here, and voila!! the next day, you had to register, lol.

However, I was on here a couple of times yesterday, and noticed at least 5 or 6 new usernames at the bottom, checked their profile, and saw that they registered that day. Maybe not such a bad thing, and maybe registered users would be more likely to post comments and ideas. I'm sure it also gives the owners of this site the ability to track usage and sell the advertising blocks at the top right (to pay for everything ;)) . It is their website, BTW, not public property. It's pretty easy to register, anyway.

My $.02

Could I ask who determines this current restrictive policy please, GR forum members, GR forum moderators, or UP hosts?

I would think the most enlightened policy would be the whole world can read, but you have to join to contribute?

:(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The admin's of this site make decisions such as this. That would be myself or Neo.

It would be an enlightened policy for sure, but if the whole world came here to read the forum it would break the bank. It does cost money to operate this forum afterall and the restriction is to limit access to those who care enough to register and logon. We do provide this place free of charge to anyone who will take a minute to register and read our rules.

The admin's of this site make decisions such as this.  That would be myself or Neo. 

It would be an enlightened policy for sure, but if the whole world came here to read the forum it would break the bank.  It does cost money to operate this forum afterall and the restriction is to limit access to those who care enough to register and logon.  We do provide this place free of charge to anyone who will take a minute to register and read our rules.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you guys are doing a great job, monsoon and Neo! Thanks for giving us this outlet for positive change ;)

Gary, I don't think it will hinder growth. It lets people see just enough to be curious (you can't show all your cards). I have probably counted at least 6 or 8 new people since yesterday, and that's the fastest growth of new people I have seen since I started here.

Come on new people! Don't be shy, let's hear from ya!

I pretty much constantly montitor that bottom line to see who's in the room and there have been a bunch of new people. I'm not understanding how much one can view without logging on, and I thought those newbies were just our regular lurkers who had to register to be able to continue reading.

"It would be an enlightened policy for sure, but if the whole world came here to read the forum it would break the bank. It does cost money to operate this forum afterall and the restriction is to limit access to those who care enough to register and logon. We do provide this place free of charge to anyone who will take a minute to register and read our rules. "

I do certainly understand the dollar mechanics of number of visitors increasing hosting costs since increased capacity and storage space would certainly be an issue--

In any case, my concern is only that if you have a site with so many positive approaches to urban life and ideas and raising consciousness about urban issues, it certainly has the potential to influence many others in a positive manner---

In many cities, this consciousness-raising is desperately needed (sigh)

Hope you can keep your necessary costs within the constraints of your revenue, like any sound business operation, while still contributing to the common good, lol...

:)

I pretty much constantly montitor that bottom line to see who's in the room and there have been a bunch of new people.  I'm not understanding how much one can view without logging on, and I thought those newbies were just our regular lurkers who had to register to be able to continue reading.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I know that I found this place by googling "Riverhouse" or "Icon on Bond" (can't remember now). I'm sure a lot of people do the same, or hear about it from friends. They can see the topics, which look pretty interesting, but just....can't.....read....posts....guess I have to register. :) It might just be lurkers, which is great as well.

• 2 weeks later...

After several direct requests, we have decided to remove the restriction on viewing the topics.

Power to the People :)

Hooray!

I was getting exhuasted, having my virtual foot jammed in the doorway day after day, so as not to have to log in repeatedly.

I shall now withdraw my poor injured foot, and repair to the chaise lounge, where I can read the posts at leisure.

Hooray!

I was getting exhuasted, having my virtual foot jammed in the doorway day after day, so as not to have to log in repeatedly.

I shall now withdraw my poor injured foot, and repair to the chaise lounge, where I can read the posts at leisure.

I just leave my account logged in/remembered..

It'd be nice if you could force login on picture threads, just so bandwidth isn't used sucking pictures across for casual lurkers... But I'm not sure you can do that with this BB system...

Archived