Flip this House

Chickenwing

Huh. It never ceases to amaze me how people throw so much money away on status symbols. I agree with you, NYT; if you're going to sink that much of your money into a home, it better be a top-knotched place with top-knotched furnishings. I definitely won't settle for any mediocrity in the building techniqes used.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a similar note, I heard a few months ago that a custom home developer is planning a large stone castle on one of the highest peaks in the Cliffs Valley. I'm not at liberty to say the developer's name, but I know his work, and it will be a spectacular showpiece for the Cliffs communities when complete. B)

Well? Did you meet any of the Trademark Team?

No, I didn't. I'm not sure I would recognize them since I've never seen the show. Although I do have it set up to tivo from here on. I did go to the web site to see who the principals are, but don't recall seeing any of them last night.

There were two ladies with small video cameras roaming around taking footage for the show. As we were leaving, one was conducting an interview in front of the water feature, but I'm not sure who it was that they were interviewing.

My question is, did they do a termite inspection first?

I watched the four-episode marathon last Saturday. There were two houses that they did extensive renovations to, and THEN discovered termites. I understand that these houses are often bought at auction, and a pre-purchase inspection is maybe not possible. But I couldn't believe they did work on them without having an inspection first.

I also found it hard to believe that they turned a 2 BR house (in Gville) into a 1 BR. Didn't they watch that episode of "The Apprentice"?

The show is quite entertaining, but I agree that people must be buying these houses for the status symbolism.

My question is, did they do a termite inspection first?

I watched the four-episode marathon last Saturday. There were two houses that they did extensive renovations to, and THEN discovered termites. I understand that these houses are often bought at auction, and a pre-purchase inspection is maybe not possible. But I couldn't believe they did work on them without having an inspection first.

I also found it hard to believe that they turned a 2 BR house (in Gville) into a 1 BR. Didn't they watch that episode of "The Apprentice"?

The show is quite entertaining, but I agree that people must be buying these houses for the status symbolism.

A bit of clarification here that might help: these properties bought at auction, are bought at the foreclosure auction, which is completely different from a normal auction. Because the bank is foreclosing on the property, and therefore does not have possession yet, then they cannot open it for prior inspection. That is certainly one of the caveats of buying at the foreclosure auction. Another is that you ALWAYS do a title search so you can find out about any other liens that may be on the property.

The other types of real estate auctions normally have pre-sale inspection times.

On a similar note, I heard a few months ago that a custom home developer is planning a large stone castle on one of the highest peaks in the Cliffs Valley. I'm not at liberty to say the developer's name, but I know his work, and it will be a spectacular showpiece for the Cliffs communities when complete. B)

I wonder if you are thinking of a house that is already under construction there (and has been for a long time)...indeed, an impressive piece of architecture and could be described as a stone castle.

I heard through the grapevine that Richard and the Trademark team were spotted having lunch at the Esso in Clemson b/c they were doing a project there. They ended up going over to the campus to speak candidates in the graduate real estate development program. It was a big hit.

BTW, it was just this past Wednesday that this happened. I'll see if I can find out where the house is..

Went by the Trademark house on Park Dr. today, still has a for sale sign, I wonder why it is not in MLS. Anyway, in real life it looks much smaller than on TV. But it looks like a cute little house, I could live in it. Here is a picture I took today.

Trademark_ParkDr.jpg

I cannot say enough good things about Tivo. It absolutely changes the way you watch tv.

I hear ya! :thumbsup: Of course, I call it DVR, since I have Dish Network, but it's all the same in the end. There is nothing else like it in the technologically practical home. B)

Great shot of that house, Brad Toy! :)

Did anyone else catch tonights episode featuring the Cliffs at Glassy house? Pretty impressive...Ive seen that house before and it definitely needed some work. If I remember correctly, the previous owner drove off of Glassy Mountain one day, after having a heart attack??

Did anyone else catch tonights episode featuring the Cliffs at Glassy house? Pretty impressive...Ive seen that house before and it definitely needed some work. If I remember correctly, the previous owner drove off of Glassy Mountain one day, after having a heart attack??

Haven't seen it yet. But it's Tivoed!

I didn't think they would get this episode on airt so quickly. I missed it becuase Iw as taking my sister to the airpoort in Atlanta. But I heard that they found like 137 rats in the house and mold that made the crew sick. Apparently the house had been vacant for like 5 years.

I haven't watched it yet, but I have it on Tivo.

I attended the open house and if youv'e read my previous post, I was not impressed. It will be interesting to see what kind of work the house needed in the "before" stage. :sick:

I saw the episode last night. It is an interesting and entertaining show, and this episode was no exception.

Brad is right, there were 137 rats and mold issues. Richard, the 'star' of the show, saw the rat droppings before starting the work. As the work got significantly underway, they 'discovered' the infestation was still active. I am beginning to think their 'stupid' mistakes are done on purpose. There would have been a lot less drama if the rats hadn't made an appearance. After getting burned on termites at least TWICE, you would think they would inspect every house they do for termites, rats, etc. BEFORE they start work.

Like all their projects, there is a huge rush to finish. They paid arounf 550k for the house, and might nearly have been as well off just razing the house and starting over. But, that wouldn't be episode-able I guess.

The house does make a tremendous transformation. I do agree with NYT though, this house is $2.4mm, GE profile appliances don't cut it.

Only someone with money to burn would buy this house, unless they just want the 'prestige' associated with it being on TV.

The developer has just under $1mm in the house, and they are asking 2.4 mm. A full offer will mean they (Trademark) will donate $600k to the symphony.

The developer has just under $1mm in the house, and they are asking 2.4 mm. A full offer will mean they (Trademark) will donate $600k to the symphony.

While I would love to see that money go to the symphony, there are much nicer houses at the Cliffs for a lot less money.

They did show the house to two professional athletes during the episode, and Richard claimed a few times that Glassy is home to a lot of sports celebrities--which I wasnt aware of before. Anyone know who any of them are?

Archived