Four Seasons Town Centre

DigitalSky

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, keep in mind JC Penney is only 2 stories so if the convention center connected to JC Penney, it'd be the 2nd level connection unless the store added a 3rd level. And yeah I'd include a movie theater in that plan.
JCPenney is actually 3 stories, but has never used its upper level because it's already 217,000 square feet.

Yep. You (and we) did! :)

One big difference between Friendly Center and Four Seasons (and the reason why I doubt 4S will go under)...
Four Seasons has gotten a slew of urban-oriented stores under General Growth, and the apparent relocation of Ann Taylor and J. Crew to Friendly is a definate concern, but both malls will be okay. The only anchor they share is Belk, and even after Belk Four Seasons went through a somwwhat rough sales patch for a few years, it seems to be rebounding.

They're two different kinds of malls, really. Four Seasons is a regional powerhouse and has popular anchors, great visbility, access to the major convention center and hotel, and the big box outparcels like Gander Mountain and Guitar Center, which are big magnets to the area. Friendly also has great anchors but sits in a very upscale neighborhood by Wendover Avenue and works the neighborhood, community and regional shopping center angles very well.

It's good to see both of these shopping centers doing well, despite their ages (Friendly 1956-57, Four Seasons 1974). I imagine these will both still be around when the big box crap on Wendover has outlived it's usefulness.

I thought Four Seasons opened in 1975.

I thought Four Seasons opened in 1975.
It opened in stages between 1974 and 1975. I think JCPenney and possibly Meyer's (current Dillard's) opened before the rest of the mall. Belk, I think, opened in February 1975.

I wasn't around back then, so I don't have a definative answer.

There is actually department store space under the parking lot of the south side of the south side of the mall across from Dillards. It use to be Tallheimers which then changed to Hechts. But Tallheimers closed at the mall before the name changed to Hechts.

It opened in stages between 1974 and 1975. I think JCPenney and possibly Meyer's (current Dillard's) opened before the rest of the mall. Belk, I think, opened in February 1975.

I wasn't around back then, so I don't have a definative answer.

Didnt Dillards use to Ivey's before it changed to Dillards?

Didnt Dillards use to Ivey's before it changed to Dillards?

It was Meyer's through 1974, then Jordan Marsh through the late 1970s, then Ivey's until the late 1980s, then Dillard's. The Four Seasons branch opened just as the transition to Jordan Marsh occurred, so it was never actually a Meyer's; only the downtown store (which closed in 1978 as Jordan Marsh) ever actually bore the Meyer's name.

And yes, JC Penney and Jordan Marsh opened first. Prior to the opening of the rest of the mall, there was a boarded-up interior walkway between them. You could look though the cracks into the rest of the mall. I have a vague memory that the Piccadilly Cafeteria opened a little before the rest of the mall too, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

It was Meyer's through 1974, then Jordan Marsh through the late 1970s, then Ivey's until the late 1980s, then Dillard's. The Four Seasons branch opened just as the transition to Jordan Marsh occurred, so it was never actually a Meyer's; only the downtown store (which closed in 1978 as Jordan Marsh) ever actually bore the Meyer's name.

And yes, JC Penney and Jordan Marsh opened first. Prior to the opening of the rest of the mall, there was a boarded-up interior walkway between them. You could look though the cracks into the rest of the mall. I have a vague memory that the Piccadilly Cafeteria opened a little before the rest of the mall too, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

oh ok I didnt know that. I thought it was always Iveys.

There is actually department store space under the parking lot of the south side of the south side of the mall across from Dillards. It use to be Tallheimers which then changed to Hechts. But Tallheimers closed at the mall before the name changed to Hechts.

Where Rack Room Shoes is now??

Where Rack Room Shoes is now??

Yeah. It was never a full-size store (obviously), just a small clothing-type store like the original Friendly Center store in Greensboro (where Harper's Restaurant is now) and the Parkway Plaza store in Winston. There was some talk of building a "real" store there, but they opted to expand at Friendly instead.

Miller & Rhoads actually had a much bigger store than Thalhimers at Four Seasons. It took up a significant part of the northeast store block on two levels near Belk.

Yeah. It was never a full-size store (obviously), just a small clothing-type store like the original Friendly Center store in Greensboro (where Harper's Restaurant is now) and the Parkway Plaza store in Winston. There was some talk of building a "real" store there, but they opted to expand at Friendly instead.

Miller & Rhoads actually had a much bigger store than Thalhimers at Four Seasons. It took up a significant part of the northeast store block on two levels near Belk.

I have a letter from Four Seasons' general manager from 1993 that stated that Hecht's was coming, but as otherstream said, the deal fell apart.

Miller & Rhoads had a great store on Level 2. I don't remember a whole lot about it, but the mall entrance was covered in white marble with black trim, and they had green signs. Frankenbergers had a store on the opposite end of the mall near JCPenney that was configured in the same way and very nice as well. Thalhimers outlasted both of those stores though.

Wow. Thanks for the info otherstream. Even Four Seasons' own timeline form 1998 says that the current Dillard's was a Meyer's.

There was a similar situation at Hanes Mall. The current Dillard's was supposed to be Ivey's but never opened as one, due to it's aquistion by Dillard's. They put the Ivey's signs up and even placed Yellow Pages ads as Ivey's, but when that wing of Hanes Mall opened in 1990, it was Dillard's, albeit with a very late-'80s Ivey's interior that still survives today.

Miller & Rhoads had a great store on Level 2.

Actually, I'm pretty sure M&R had a two-level store at Four Seasons. It was great, with the marble and all. They also had a separate (but connected) men's department with its own mall entrance, as I recall, that almost looked like they'd expanded into an adjacent space.

I think most if not all of their NC mall locations were two levels, which always looked a little odd since none of them were in anchor positions.

Archived