Louisville Gateway city to the South

Louisvilleslugger

Is Louisville considered the gateway city to the South  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is Louisville considered the gateway city to the South

• Yes it is the Gateway city
    • No it isn't the Gateway city

People posting on topics they nothing about is kind of silly. I say that it is more midwestern because of the industrial feel to the town and the way the homes are built. Maybe it was just the area of town that I visited, but the styles of the homes reminded me of St. Louis. Yall talk just as silly as we we talk though. I guess that should count for something. :D

Louisville is Southern city on the boarder of the North and South that naturally has midwestern influence (and no industry is not a exclusively northern influence New Orleans, Birmingham, ect.) In the real city of Louisville the Architecture varies from The Victorian style homes of old Louisville to the Shotgun Houses of West Louisville. So you tell me if that's Southern or not (excluding eastern J-County filled with out of towners).

And you are one of those ignant people I was talking about. You haven't gone into our History, culture GEOGRAPHY or nothin.

And yes I do post that my cities Southern because it makes no since at all to just say it's midwestern and that's it. I mean it was the second Largest city in the South at one time (after New Orleans) and it had one of the highest slaveowning population in the country. And like I said you are gettin the term midwestern confused with river cties/boarder cities and St. Louis is somewhat (boarder city of the North and South).

I mean you are basically grouping Louisville with Minneanplois over New Orleans in terms of culture, Geography, History, architecture, Which obviously shows you know nothing about my city accept what has been posted by people who know nothing about my city. :thumbsup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Why? Once is enough. I don't really see why you're reposting it either.

It seems like some of them just read some of my recent post rather than read my very first one. Now I tried to repost your earlier post b/c that made since, but some ignant idiot who obviously knows nothing about Louisville is just acting childish and saying that your statement isn't true. :wacko:

Louisvilleslugger, if you could, please stop calling other folks ignorant, childish, etc. It does not make you look very well in the eyes of others and is inflammatory. You have every right to argue all you want about this subject, but name calling is just not going to cut it very long.

Everyone can disagree. You need to realize this and try not to get so worked up about it, it will make you experience on the forum much more enjoyable to keep that in mind.

Louisvilleslugger, if you could, please stop calling other folks ignorant, childish, etc. It does not make you look very well in the eyes of others and is inflammatory. You have every right to argue all you want about this subject, but name calling is just not going to cut it very long.

Everyone can disagree. You need to realize this and try not to get so worked up about it, it will make you experience on the forum much more enjoyable to keep that in mind.

My bad, I guess I was getting a little out of control.

Louisville is Southern city on the boarder of the North and South that naturally has midwestern influence (and no industry is not a exclusively northern influence New Orleans, Birmingham, ect.) In the real city of Louisville the Architecture varies from The Victorian style homes of old Louisville to the Shotgun Houses of West Louisville. So you tell me if that's Southern or not (excluding eastern J-County filled with out of towners).

And you are one of those ignant people I was talking about. You haven't gone into our History, culture GEOGRAPHY or nothin.

And yes I do post that my cities Southern because it makes no since at all to just say it's midwestern and that's it. I mean it was the second Largest city in the South at one time (after New Orleans) and it had one of the highest slaveowning population in the country. And like I said you are gettin the term midwestern confused with river cties/boarder cities and St. Louis is somewhat (boarder city of the North and South).

I mean you are basically grouping Louisville with Minneanplois over New Orleans in terms of culture, Geography, History, architecture, Which obviously shows you know nothing about my city accept what has been posted by people who know nothing about my city. :thumbsup:

Have it your way man. Louisville can be southern ALL DAY LONG. I'm leaving this topic alone because you are really into this. Everything that I posted, I made sure to let you know it was IMO (in my opinion). As you can see, I said that the city has an industrial feel to it. Being from the south, I know how the south feels. A lot of the south has an agricultural feel to it. I can't explain it, you would have to be from the REAL south to understand it IMO. :whistling:

Thanks though for motivating me to learn more about the lovely city of Louisville. I'll plan a visit real soon. I'll make sure I don't stay too long though, wouldn't want anyone up there to catch this ignorance that I seem to be plagued with :P

Sorry for spelling it the right way, I guess that was ignorant of me too.

Have it your way man. Louisville can be southern ALL DAY LONG. I'm leaving this topic alone because you are really into this. Everything that I posted, I made sure to let you know it was IMO (in my opinion). As you can see, I said that the city has an industrial feel to it. Being from the south, I know how the south feels. A lot of the south has an agricultural feel to it. I can't explain it, you would have to be from the REAL south to understand it IMO. :whistling:

Thanks though for motivating me to learn more about the lovely city of Louisville. I'll plan a visit real soon. I'll make sure I don't stay too long though, wouldn't want anyone up there to catch this ignorance that I seem to be plagued with :P

Sorry for spelling it the right way, I guess that was ignorant of me too.

Actually you didn't make sure to put in my opinion in your post, Just so you know :thumbsup:

Dude I've been all over the South, all my family lives in the South, and "I" lived in the deep South for "4" long years, So I think I know what the real South is and Louisville is the real South (Not to say it doesn't have midwestern influence).

And dude you're just saying stuff about my city that makes absolutly no sense, And I think you know that.

I have said this elsewhere, but I do think Louisville is one of the gateways to the South, but it is different from the rest of Kentucky. Although most of Kentucky is decidedly Southern Baptist, Louisville is strongly Catholic and also strongly Jewish. Indeed, the mayor of the Louisville Metro is Jewish, and he is a liberal Democrat. I lived there for a little over a year, and loved it. The area is very liberal, IMO, and is the total antithesis of the rest of Kentucky. Louisville is a seperate "state" from the rest of Kentucky. To compare Louisville with the rest of Kentucky is to compare Chicago with the rest of Illinois.

The Louisville Metro has an anti-discrimination ordinance which bans harrassment, discrimination, and the like against gay people, among others. It was, however, passed along party lines (I won't bother to mention which party members of the metro council voted against it). The prevailing attitude in most areas east of I-65, and also the Old Louisville neighborhood is very progressive. Jefferson County (in which the Louisville Metro is located) is the only county in Kentucky that voted Democratic in last year's presidential election.

I have said this elsewhere, but I do think Louisville is one of the gateways to the South, but it is different from the rest of Kentucky. Although most of Kentucky is decidedly Southern Baptist, Louisville is strongly Catholic and also strongly Jewish. Indeed, the mayor of the Louisville Metro is Jewish, and he is a liberal Democrat. I lived there for a little over a year, and loved it. The area is very liberal, IMO, and is the total antithesis of the rest of Kentucky. Louisville is a seperate "state" from the rest of Kentucky. To compare Louisville with the rest of Kentucky is to compare Chicago with the rest of Illinois.

The Louisville Metro has an anti-discrimination ordinance which bans harrassment, discrimination, and the like against gay people, among others. It was, however, passed along party lines (I won't bother to mention which party members of the metro council voted against it). The prevailing attitude in most areas east of I-65, and also the Old Louisville neighborhood is very progressive. Jefferson County (in which the Louisville Metro is located) is the only county in Kentucky that voted Democratic in last year's presidential election.

Yes Louisville does have a diverse population, But so do every other major Urban area in the country(that's what brings the different religons to Louisville). Also just like other cities that are the largest in their rural Southern states they are all different from that state (Birminham is refreshingly different from the rest of Alabama in the Urban sense and was also listed as the most liberal city in the country).

And doesn't every other city have an anit-discrimination ordinance (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Also almost every major Urban area in the country (including the South) voted blue. And alot of that goes back to old stereotypes about the South, There are alot of Southern cities are much more progressive than Louisville when it comes to development.

But when it all comes down to culture even Catholics are bound with Kentucky's Southern culture and on the other side of the bridge in Southern Indiana, And unlike Northern cities the vast MAJORITY of Louisville's population in Southern Baptist. But aside from characterics found in ALL major Urban areas (diversity and Democratic votes) Louisville is much more bound with the South than the North/midwest.

Yes Louisville does have a diverse population, But so do every other major Urban area in the country(that's what brings the different religons to Louisville). Also just like other cities that are the largest in their rural Southern states they are all different from that state (Birminham is refreshingly different from the rest of Alabama in the Urban sense and was also listed as the most liberal city in the country).

And doesn't every other city have an anit-discrimination ordinance (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Also almost every major Urban area in the country (including the South) voted blue. And alot of that goes back to old stereotypes about the South, There are alot of Southern cities are much more progressive than Louisville when it comes to development.

But when it all comes down to culture even Catholics are bound with Kentucky's Southern culture and on the other side of the bridge in Southern Indiana, And unlike Northern cities the vast MAJORITY of Louisville's population in Southern Baptist. But aside from characterics found in ALL major Urban areas (diversity and Democratic votes) Louisville is much more bound with the South than the North/midwest.

To say that Louisville is UNLIKE the rest of Kentucky is a bit of a stretch. Just look at Owensboro my friends. It may be smaller, but the cultural aspects of both cities is similar. Strang Catholic and Jewish backgrounds with the old river city urban feel to them. Trust me, I am a born Kentuckian who spent the first twenty years of my life in Central City, KY.

^Same holds true for Covington, and to a certian degree Paducah too.

Absolutely. You could even say the same for places like Maysville and Henderson/Evansville, IN. It really is where the Midwest touches the South that you see the kind of dispairity like you do in Kentucky.

Archived