Easley-Powdersville Developments

goodbye

It seems like development in Easley is moving toward Greenville and I-85 along US 123 and US 153. That makes sense, as that is the "prosperous side" of Easley. Most of the nicer subdivisions seem to be on that side of town, toward Powdersville and I-85.

While the Easley Town Center is not going to be amazing (it appears that many stores currently in Easley will simply relocate there), it is a quality development that will replace an old eyesore of a textile mill. If they can figure out how to work around the train track and road problems, I think it can work.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything on Easley's southern or eastern sides are prospering. It is the northern (towards Dacusville) and western (towards Pickens) sides that are struggling; they are mostly lower class communities. The City of Easley should initiate soem changes to revitalize and grow those areas.

The plan has the master design for the roads around the development. The end result will not resemble what you see, but it gives ideas what needs improvements.

Once Easley Town Center grows. traffic on Prince Perry, Saluda Dam and Latham roads will pick up. This is where extending SC-153 northward becomes necessary.

Anything on Easley's southern or eastern sides are prospering. It is the northern (towards Dacusville) and western (towards Pickens) sides that are struggling; they are mostly lower class communities. The City of Easley should initiate soem changes to revitalize and grow those areas.

If the "Northwest Connector" (new road connecting White Horse Road between Berea and Travelers Rest and 153 near the 123 Exit) takes place you might start to see some growth. I'd love a better route to Easley from the Northern Greenville area. As it is I take my own version of the "northwest connector" which is to take 135 and then 183 or Lenhart/Jameson Road to 183. The closest thing connector road is "old Hunts Bridge Road but looking at it on Google Maps it's quite a joke my modern standards because of the curves and cutbacks. It eventually winds up in Dacusville but Dacusville kind of scares me. I'm usually extremely good with directions but tend to get turned around in Dacusville more than anywhere else. It's like a Twilight Zone town that you can't leave because it seems to fold back on itself. There really needs to be a better route between Easley and Travelers Rest.

How long hasve you known about the "northwest connector"?

An extreme idea is to extend I-185 northward to Travelers Rest along the eastern side of the Saluda River, possibly called Saluda River Parkway. The limited access toll road would have exits at SC-81, US-123, SC-124, SC-183 and end at US-25/White Horse/Old White Horse roads.

Old Hunts Bridge Road, or Pickens County's Hunts Bridge Road, is definitely not a fun drive. It is extremely curvy around the Saluda River, ditto SC-186 in Greenville County.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got excited when I saw "Town Center" but I must say that I'm highly dissapointed. This looks like it won't be anything more than a glorified strip-mall. I really wish Easley would takes steps to improve 123, or at least stop making it worse. Have you seen the new water tower?

Hopefully I can find some solace in downtown at somepoint.

I got excited when I saw "Town Center" but I must say that I'm highly dissapointed. This looks like it won't be anything more than a glorified strip-mall. I really wish Easley would takes steps to improve 123, or at least stop making it worse. Have you seen the new water tower?

Hopefully I can find some solace in downtown at somepoint.

Yes, i've seen the new water tower even though it isn't complete yet. Hopefully it will look better once it's painted with a big "E." I know exactly what you mean about Easley Town Center, Spartan. I was hoping they would of designed it to look more like the Shops at Greenridge, but a glorified strip-mall is expected with a Wal-Mart Supercenter going there. :sick: This sort of goes with this, but has anybody ever tried to count the number of cash checking stores on Highway 123 in Easley? They really need to pass an ordinance or something like the city of Greenville did to restrict these, because they are absolutely everywhere. :sick:

They should blow up Easley and start over. What kind of moron puts a huge, unsightly water tower on the main road through town (US 123)? Plus, if you go through downtown Easley it is dead. They recently built some new "offices" near the train tracks where an antique place used to be, and they look AWFUL. They remind me of a building from old western movies, minus the tumbleweed. Why anyone would allow that to be built is beyond me. If you have seen it, you know what I am talking about (and if you haven't, it's worth a trip just to see it!).

They should blow up Easley and start over. What kind of moron puts a huge, unsightly water tower on the main road through town (US 123)? Plus, if you go through downtown Easley it is dead. They recently built some new "offices" near the train tracks where an antique place used to be, and they look AWFUL. They remind me of a building from old western movies, minus the tumbleweed. Why anyone would allow that to be built is beyond me. If you have seen it, you know what I am talking about (and if you haven't, it's worth a trip just to see it!).

:lol: I don't know why, but the way you started that post "they should blow up Easley" reminds me of Ben Stiller in Meet the Parents where he gets on the plane and says "bomb, bomb, bomb....bombomb, bomb, bomb" to the flight attendant. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Way back in the '50's and early 60's there was an old "country store" in Powdersville that sold a type of locally produced salt-cured ham that very closely resembled prosciutto. It was delicious. I have never seen it again anywhere else.

My only memory of Powdersville.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple of new Powdersville developments being built right now. Pics I didn't take include a new Ace Hardware under construction currently along Highway 81 near Highway 153 and a fairly large medical office complex also under construction currently along Highway 153 near Highway 81. New Powdersville Library followed by site of the future Pinnacle Bank. Both are being built almost right next to each other along Highway 81:

Picture028-1.jpg

Picture027-2.jpg

Archived