Easley-Powdersville Developments

goodbye

I was in the Bi-Lo in Powdersville today and noticed the nice new TV monitors above the checkout lanes. They were playing News Channel 7 news and weather updates. This is a great concept and one that will very likely spread around the Upstate. I do some work for WSPA-TV in Spartanburg and I know they are planning to do a similar thing for Spinx stations with monitors at the pump. In the recent past and currently, they have been playing Fox News Channel and CNN. I like the local news idea a whole lot more. :thumbsup:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retail shops on the way for Easley

The Greenville News (SC)

2006/2/24

A brief mention was made of the former Saco Lowell plant. Plans call for demolishing the existing buildings and constructing a shopping complex similar to Greenville's Cherrydale Pointe.

With Easley's east side and Powdersville growing, having a retail central along US-123 would be great rather than driving to Cherrydale Pointe and/or Woodruff Road in Greenville to shop.

While I am unaware of which retailers are interested in the site, I do know which retailers are not yet in Easley: Dick's Sporting Goods, Kohl's, Michael's, Old Navy, Petco, Petsmart, Ross Dress for Less, Stein Mart, Target, The Sports Authority, and TJMaxx.

Prince Perry Road, the road that leads into Saco Lowell, is under consideration for bridge replacement eliminating the two lane arch bridge for a flat multilane bridge.

The entire US-123/Prince Perry Road/Rock Springs Road interchange needs major adjustments. I do not like having to turn onto Prince Perry Road as the arching bridge strains my car. As for Rock Springs Road, about three blocks are part of Rock Springs Baptist Church.

Improving the interchange is a hassle. The arch bridge is there to provide clearance room for trains underneath. A flat bridge there in the present state would make it impassable for trains. If the railroad was located northward in a deeper bed, building the flat bridge will not be a problem.

That arched bridge is very unsafe. Many serious accidents have occured at that intersection over the years, because people weren't being careful as they passed over the crest and went into the intersection.

When approaching the bridge towards US-123, you have little to no visibility of the intersection ahead of you. Prince Perry and Rock Springs Road lack turn lanes and turn signals to turn left onto US-123 towards Easley or Greenville.

Is US-123 close to traffic capacity in the immediate area?

• 3 weeks later...

There are about 26 buildings getting ready to go up on 153 just as you come off of 85 on the left (towards Easley) as a Medical Park or Office Park, not sure which. Also something new coming up beside Burger King right at 85/153 and don't forget the Sports Medical facility...

Looks like there is plenty going on for Powdersville area. - And I hear that Toyota of Easley is getting ready for expansion but are having some legal difficulties with the neighbors and that has put a hold up on it until the judge makes a decision.

There are a few two-story offices on 153, just up the road toward the intersection with Hwy 81. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more in an office park along the interstate.

Pizza House has opened in the Brookside shopping center/attractive strip mall on 153.

There are a few two-story offices on 153, just up the road toward the intersection with Hwy 81. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more in an office park along the interstate.

Pizza House has opened in the Brookside shopping center/attractive strip mall on 153.

Thats why I was thinking 2 is possible. That place you are talking about is certainly an anomaly in Powdersville. I hope to see more things like that though. In fact, I hope that this new office park is 4 stories. I just don't expect it. you have to be realistic.

• 1 month later...

The new Bojangle's is progressing. The structural framing is complete. Work is underway in the walls and roofing. Does anyone think it will be open by August?

Cici's Pizza on US-123 at Centerpoint closed some weeks ago. Though I never liked going there much, they had a better pizza buffet than the South Pendleton Street Pizza Inn.

• 2 weeks later...

Wal-Mart locating eastward of Easley puts it in a prime location as infill continues towards Powdersville.

Locating at the fomer Saco Lowell site in a concern with the railroad beside US-123 and the haphazard crossing and Prince Perry overpass. If it goes up across the street, it would be an ideal site. Perhaps Rock Springs Road can be rerouted around the church property so it would not interfere with church traffic.

what would become of the current Wal-mart on South Pendleton Street if it does relocate? Something like Kohl's or Target will have no trouble going in.

• 3 weeks later...

Article: Easley parking woes irk shopkeepers

The Greenville News (SC)

2006-6-23

With the parking ordinance now in effect, it will be interesting to see what becomes of Easley High School's parking situation. Being a hugely populated school and more students parking, parking spaces become limited. Instead of paying a fee and driving around the lot looking for a space, the student body parks two blocks away at Olde Market Square taking up spaces for local shops. The solution may be limiting parking to the high school and selling permits on a first come, first serve basis.

Mroe streetside parking would be useful. If eastbound SC-93 traffic can be diverted onto First Avenue, some diagonal parking would do well along a westbound traffic Main Street.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Cherrydale Pointe like center, I would imagine to see the likes of Pier One, TJMaxx, Old Navy and Goody's to take up shop. I would not mind seeing a Publix in the center hoping Walmart builds its supercenter across the street.

Don't forget that there is a fairly new Publix in Easley (built within the last couple of years), just a few miles down US 123. There is also a Home Depot there. I doubt Publix would put a second location at this new retail development, but maybe they feel that the two stores would draw from different areas of town.

I also recall that Easley currently has a Wal-Mart 4-5 miles down the road just off of US 123. If they build a SuperCenter closer to this new development, will the current location close? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Center Pointe, where Publix is located, is is approximately 2.4 miles away from the Saco Lowell site. Most grocers spread stores 2.5 to 3 miles apart to have enough locations convenient enough to reach their customers. I doubt it would hurt Publix to have a second location in town. Saco Lowell will become a highly dense populated area within five to ten years.

It is usually typical for Walmart to close existing stores when they are replaced by a supercenter. When Walmart opens its Easley supercenter, the South Pendleton Street location will likely close.

Archived