Easley-Powdersville Developments

goodbye

I would be suprised to see Publix locate another store in Easley. While it is true that they will locate in locations like that, Easley is just not large enough.

Also, I thought that the intersection required to access Saco Lowell Rd (Prince Perry Rd)required raising 123 up so that the bridge won't have to have that arch in it? Or does he mean a new bridge altogether?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be suprised to see Publix locate another store in Easley. While it is true that they will locate in locations like that, Easley is just not large enough.

Also, I thought that the intersection required to access Saco Lowell Rd (Prince Perry Rd)required raising 123 up so that the bridge won't have to have that arch in it? Or does he mean a new bridge altogether?

I would not be terribly surprised to see another Publix in Easley - at least not on that side of the city. Powdersville would be Anderson county's second largest municipality at 20,000 residents, if it were to incorporate today. Easley is considerably larger than that, so there should be plenty of people living in those two suburbs to support multiple Publix stores, IMO. I am actually surprised Powdersville has not gotten one yet.

Easley is large enough to support 3 Bi-Los and 2 Ingle's.

It will be a new bridge altogether. The arch bridge is not a good place to be when you're in a line of traffic waiting for the signal to turn green. Raising US-123 would be extensive, but lowering the Norfolk Southern line a couple feet can be easily done.

My point exactly. Easley isn't that big, so why does it need another Publix when it already has all of that?

I think that lowering a railroad line would be just as difficult as raising the road.

You may be underestimating the actual size of Easley-Powdersville. You can travel miles off of the beaten path and continue to discover large new subdivisions in the "country."

I have been all around Easley and Powedersville, and I am well aware of what is there, and what isn't. Powdersville can probably stand another grocery store, period- Be it Publix or whatever else. I just don't think that particular part of Easley is well suited for a Publix, being that another one is so close.

Publix can do well with a store on Easley's east side, specifically on Powdersville Road nearby the Rock Springs Road intersection. Powdersville Road has become the alternative to light retailers and restaurants and several professional offices. Why drive out to US-123 if you have a store off the major highway?

I haven't been to Easley in years, so I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I didn't even know Easley had a Publix and where is this Saco Lowell site anyways? :dontknow::lol: How far is it from Rocky Springs Baptist Church, I think that's what it's called? It's that huge church on the left side of Highway 123 when you go into Easley.

I haven't been to Easley in years, so I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I didn't even know Easley had a Publix and where is this Saco Lowell site anyways? :dontknow::lol: How far is it from Rocky Springs Baptist Church, I think that's what it's called? It's that huge church on the left side of Highway 123 when you go into Easley.

yes u r correct about the location of the church and the plant is just a stones thrown down and across hwy 123.

• 4 months later...

The Publix is on the other side of Easley towards Clemson on 123 from that church.

I saw the developer's site plan at the Southeast Conention in Atlanta recently, and it is impressive. It looked like two major anchors book-ending either side of the site, with probably another 7-8 junior anchors north of 15,000 square feet, a good amount of shop space and at least 6 or so outparcels.

It's really going to be something else seeing the developer put up that bridge over the RR.

Please specify, if possible, more of these two bookend major anchors. How much square footage do they have? What kind of tenants are they targeting?

The .pdf that had previously been posted here (and later unpublished) didn't necessarily show bookends. There was one large 180,000+ sq. ft. anchor at one end, a stip in between, and another 65,000+ sq. ft. anchor oriented differently at the other end, but stand-alone in the parking lot. I'm pretty sure that it was said in the earlier post that these two anchors were going to be a Wal-Mart Super Center and a Kohls.

I've been searching my history/cache for the darned document and I cannot find it. It's out there on the internet somewhere, I'm sure, if you search for "Easley Town Center" or "Cedarwood Development."

I've been searching my history/cache for the darned document and I cannot find it. It's out there on the internet somewhere, I'm sure, if you search for "Easley Town Center" or "Cedarwood Development."

OK... I wish I had thought of this earlier. Doh! Go to http://www.cedarwooddevelopment.com/ and look under projects-->new commercial projects-->easley town center-->site plan. :thumbsup:

Or, if you prefer instant gratification, you can CLICK HERE.

I remember the old Saco-Lowell building and land from when I was living in Greenville and traveling to Pickens. Does anyone know what business was conducted there? It looks like it could have been a textile plant but the developer mentioned industrial contamination as a problem. It doesn't seem like textile manufacturing would have produced much soil contamination with the exception of dye spillage.

I remember the old Saco-Lowell building and land from when I was living in Greenville and traveling to Pickens. Does anyone know what business was conducted there? It looks like it could have been a textile plant but the developer mentioned industrial contamination as a problem. It doesn't seem like textile manufacturing would have produced much soil contamination with the exception of dye spillage.

To my knowledge, Saco Lowell was a textile company. I believe they were/are based in Maine.

I am glad to hear of the redevelopment of the vacant Saco Lowell plant site. it will add greatly to the shopping/dining options in that suburban area. It will be interesting, however, to see if it remains in good shape over the years. A new cinema there would have helped as well, IMO.

I have heard rumor of new restaurants along hwy 153 in Powdersville recently. One of the names is Ruby Tuesday.

BTW, has anyone else been by the "new" Bi-Lo in Powdersville? It looks completely different on both the exterior and the interior. It could be their new prototype design.

There are also rumors of a new Spinx station with a restaurant at the River Road exit over I-85, plus a possible hotel/motel there as well. A recent auction turned over a fair amount of land at that location.

Former textile mills are notorious for not only soil, but also ground-water contamination. The typical contaminants of concern are chlorinated solvents used during the textile finishing process. You can generally dig up the affected soil contamination, but once it impacts the ground-water, all bets are off. It can take decades to obtain closure at these types of contaminted sites. The good thing is (in my experience) SC DHEC is fairly proactive in promoting development, so they typically will work with the environmental contractor and developer to allow for construction and development to continue while the site undergos remediation. :thumbsup:

I have heard rumor of new restaurants along hwy 153 in Powdersville recently. One of the names is Ruby Tuesday.

BTW, has anyone else been by the "new" Bi-Lo in Powdersville? It looks completely different on both the exterior and the interior. It could be their new prototype design.

Ruby Tuesday in Powdersville... that solves the problem in where to eat there.

Powdersville Plaza Bi-Lo's new look is okay, nothing fancy. They are awaiting more sign features for the outside (i.e. The Drugstore at Bi-Lo).

Should we expect JCPenney to follow suit leaving Town & Country Plaza behind Belk? Besides Staples, that shopping center is dead.

Could be. JCP has been doing the off-mall format with good success. This past year they opened the off-mall format in Mt.Juliet, Tn. (Nashville burb) and in Ft.Worth, Tx. as prototype stores. The Ft.Worth store had a Sephora shop in shop, front and center in the store entrance. Both of these formats are being rolled to new 2007 stores.

Archived