~club scene w/ sith lord djs

mrknowitall

is there a downtown bar or a club that plays newly released music?

these mix-cd dj's suck....stop buying your music off the net pre-mixed.

your killing the art.

its so painful to go out in gr. is it the people who are afraid of new music and would walk of the dance floor? or those sith-lord mix-cd playing wanna-be dj's who are just to lazy to play new stuff.

i see them dancing around in the booth, playing songs from 98-99, 2003. there is so many great songs released each week, but these sith-lord dj's continue to play the same mixes- it got so bad i could guess the next song at the bob before darth maul XL played it.

i want to throw my drinks in they're faces. they know who they are, letting the old-man owner tell you what to play. 2-live crew hasnt released an album in 8yrs, leave rob base alone, hes in his 50's now.

dj's turn away from the darkside. stop buying premade mix cd's, try to express yourself they music, take a change on your own tastes......if you suck, the crowd will tell you....trust me.

thats me today.

geroge bush hates midgets.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a long time since I went "clubbing", but the same can be said about the radio stations. We need a REAL alternative rock station like 89X in Detroit. Sorry WGRD, Pearl Jam is cute and everything, but ENOUGH. It's not the 90's anymore!

Sorry mrknow, didn't mean to hijack.

I agree. I've been a dj myself for almost 15 years. I HATE the GR club scene. It's not the "old man owner" telling them what to play, it's the actual dj. One promotional group has a stronghold on GR as far as dj "talent" goes and they tour the GR clubs only to infect our ears with the same music we've been listening to for 10 years straight.

I would love to destroy GR with my talent as a dj and knowledge of UP TO DATE music, but it will never happen because I have too much pride and dammit all, I'm just too darn stuck up to kiss any promotion company's arse.

Unfortunately, the GR club scene has a bunch of zombie followers as well. They love the music that the dj's play because they know it and they don't know any better. They are mostly all friends with the dj's as well. This creates a vicious circle of non-talent and ruins it for the rest of us.

Some day, some day...

I heard GWB had midgets tending to the lawn.

I agree.  I've been a dj myself for almost 15 years.  I HATE the GR club scene.  It's not the "old man owner" telling them what to play, it's the actual dj.  One promotional group has a stronghold on GR as far as dj "talent" goes and they tour the GR clubs only to infect our ears with the same music we've been listening to for 10 years straight.

I would love to destroy GR with my talent as a dj and knowledge of UP TO DATE music, but it will never happen because I have too much pride and dammit all, I'm just too darn stuck up to kiss any promotion company's arse.

Unfortunately, the GR club scene has a bunch of zombie followers as well.  They love the music that the dj's play because they know it and they don't know any better.  They are mostly all friends with the dj's as well.  This creates a vicious circle of non-talent and ruins it for the rest of us.

Some day, some day...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What, you don't like Y.M.C.A.?? :lol: I remember the first time we went to Opus 1894, which everyone had told us was SO COOL, and lo and behold, "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang was playing when we walked in the door :huh: I wonder why that place went under.

I agree. I've been a dj myself for almost 15 years. I HATE the GR club scene. It's not the "old man owner" telling them what to play, it's the actual dj. One promotional group has a stronghold on GR as far as dj "talent" goes and they tour the GR clubs only to infect our ears with the same music we've been listening to for 10 years straight.

Unfortunately, the GR club scene has a bunch of zombie followers as well. They love the music that the dj's play because they know it and they don't know any better. They are mostly all friends with the dj's as well. This creates a vicious circle of non-talent and ruins it for the rest of us.

Some day, some day...

Although you do see the same DJ's a lot around here, doing 90% of the same set night after night, the Intersection does occasionally bring in some cool DJ's with talent. For instance we went to the DJ Irene concert, and she was amazing.

I will also add that a lot of people who don't like the "dance/club/techno/house/trance" scene and are perfectly happy listening to old school stuff... not that I'm defending it, but there are those out there who don't like new things.

is there a downtown bar or a club that plays newly released music?

these mix-cd dj's suck....stop buying your music off the net pre-mixed.

your killing the art.

its so painful to go out in gr. is it the people who are afraid of new music and would walk of the dance floor? or those sith-lord mix-cd playing wanna-be dj's who are just to lazy to play new stuff.

i see them dancing around in the booth, playing songs from 98-99, 2003. there is so many great songs released each week, but these sith-lord dj's continue to play the same mixes- it got so bad i could guess the next song at the bob before darth maul XL played it.

i want to throw my drinks in they're faces. they know who they are, letting the old-man owner tell you what to play. 2-live crew hasnt released an album in 8yrs, leave rob base alone, hes in his 50's now.

dj's turn away from the darkside. stop buying premade mix cd's, try to express yourself they music, take a change on your own tastes......if you suck, the crowd will tell you....trust me.

thats me today.

geroge bush hates midgets.

A real club scene in GR is predicated upon GR having a REAL urban radio station that locates and then pumps the turn-table talents of the best world-class DJs they can find on-air (i.e. - check out the correlating mix shows and club scenes for WJLB-FM and Detroit's club scene, WGCI-FM and Chicago's club scene, WHUR-FM and DC's club scene, KISS-FM and the NYC/Newark New Jersey club scene, V-103 FM and Baltimore's club scene, etc.). REAL urban radio inserts its grooves into the listening audience just as readily as candy/trash pop radio (like WSNX) does. What is heard on the radio is what creates the expectation of those going to the dance clubs (i.e. - trash on radio = trash demanded by the blind/lemming-like public / world-class urban music on radio = world-class urban music demanded by the blind/lemming-like public). This truth IS NOT WORKED on the world-class side of things here in GR (for now - stay tuned to www.mbei.org for a solution to this . . . . ).

Until Metro GR has an FM station that is not a watered-down wanna-be-urban station like WSNX ( :sick: ), we will continue to have a sickening, vanilla-laden, pseudo club experience.

As a Deep House Music DJ myself, I could use some help here . . . .

metrogrkid

I agree in some aspect with both of your comments.

I have been a Trance/Jungle DJ for years and feel your pain.

The thing about the Intersection and them bringing in "talent" is that they continually bring in the same acts EVERY TIME.

DJ Irene, BadBoyBill, Dj Funk, etc.... have been here so many times I could vomit. They probably use GR as a residency on their resumes.

There are so many other talented DJ/Producers out there that have big, if not bigger names and would bring a larger gathering from neighboring cities and States and put GR on the map, but we keep bringing in the SOS.

As for the urban radio station, I agree The wishy-washy cookie-cutter station we have that considers itself our link to good music (**cough, clearchannel cough**) is a joke.

We need a variety here and there is none. We need more people (including myself) to volunteer on 88.1 and play some of the unkown music that would open the eyes and ears of todays youth and not-so-youth.

I admit, I have a voice but I am not using it. I have talent but am not utilizing it. I need motivation to get out there and change things and I need some foot soldiers to join me.

metrogrkid, I already have a prodiction company and I'm not sure if you do as well, but I'd like to get together and maybe work out some fine details and get this city back on the map. Anyone else is more than welcome to put in as well.

My love is music and I believe in my heart of hearts that is what I need to do to help this city grow.

WHEW!! sorry for the rambling, hopefully some of it makes sense. But this topic always strikes a nerve with me.

As a transplant from the Denver scene I am also lost without any solid beats on a weekly basis. I agree with the previous poster that Intersection brings the standard fare ( BBB, Irene, etc) which is nice we are getting djs, but is there anywhere else in this city to listen to beats?

There are a coupel of scattered nights, but are there any prod. crews working to bring in talent from Chicago or Detroit let alone bigger names?

As a transplant from the Denver scene I am also lost without any solid beats on a weekly basis. I agree with the previous poster that Intersection brings the standard fare ( BBB, Irene, etc) which is nice we are getting djs, but is there anywhere else in this city to listen to beats?

There are a coupel of scattered nights, but are there any prod. crews working to bring in talent from Chicago or Detroit let alone bigger names?

I am not going to pretend for a minute that I know anything about the club scene, but what about that new Ten Bells place on Alpine:

http://www.tenbellsbar.com/

Is it any good? Different genre of music than what you guys are talking about?

Rock Bar.

true

i used to throw 33's down at rascal's bar friday night a few years ago, a hole in the wall westside bar, but the place got hot for a while, and had true underground hip hop and house playing.

there is a small % of people who would come, when i finish my project building downtown, i am hoping to start a small bar and pull west michigan bedroom dj's in to show their stuff....

there is a small % of people who would come, when i finish my project building downtown, i am hoping to start a small bar and pull west michigan bedroom dj's in to show their stuff....

I've been to a few "after events" at various locations with some decent DJ's.. some from the detroit or chicago scene, but they've all been pretty damn good, and there has always been plenty of people at those things too, rockin it out till 5 or 6 am...

I think it's time I took over Grand Rapids.

I think I'll do it Pied Piper style. I'll get my turntables out on a rolling cart and walk through town. The dj's will have no idea what is going on (since cd players are the only thing used in our city to display music) and will follow me in awe. I will lead them to Gary, IN and dump them off to rot in the smog-infested home of the Miss USA Pagaent.

• 2 weeks later...

indeed.

the year of the sith will come to an end soon. they cannot keep running their storm trooper clone dances and women into the clubs of GR.

to all women of GR.

turn to the left...turn to the right. if you look/dress identical to the woman next to you. go home immediately and change clothes.

the year of the clone will end.

I might be the most out-of-touch 23 year old on the planet (which I don't think I am), but wtf is a sith lord dj?

Sith, The

An ancient order of Force-practitioners devoted to the dark side...

Apparently the music scene's epic battle of good vs. evil...

Archived