the903/Jefferson at Providence Place

Frankie811

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Additionally, have any of you noticed the amount of efflouressence (sp?), the white stuff, on the outside of the building? It is usually a very obvious indicator that there is an extreme amount of water penetration in the walls, causing the salt to leach out of the mortar. Not good for a building this young.

• 7 months later...

I am considering buying a place at 903. I'm from out of town and we visited the property twice and were acutally impressed. My wife and I are the demographic 25-30 with just enough income to afford a place like this. We love the amenities, pool/hottub, pool room, covered parking(no ice scraping), and 24 hour video and security guards.

I think that with the upgrades of the granite, tile, stainless appliances (GE profile), new carpet and painting that they are including it really seems like they will be nice places to live. It's also possible to have private entrances in some of the units or balconies if thats what you are into.

If the plans for the riverwalk and the old farmers market project pan out i think it will really increase in value.

The walk to downcity is not bad, the train is close and of course the mall is in your backyard.

I am considering buying a place at 903. I'm from out of town and we visited the property twice and were acutally impressed. My wife and I are the demographic 25-30 with just enough income to afford a place like this. We love the amenities, pool/hottub, pool room, covered parking(no ice scraping), and 24 hour video and security guards.

I think that with the upgrades of the granite, tile, stainless appliances (GE profile), new carpet and painting that they are including it really seems like they will be nice places to live. It's also possible to have private entrances in some of the units or balconies if thats what you are into.

If the plans for the riverwalk and the old farmers market project pan out i think it will really increase in value.

The walk to downcity is not bad, the train is close and of course the mall is in your backyard.

I am considering buying a place at 903. I'm from out of town and we visited the property twice and were acutally impressed.

I appreciate your advice. I'm moving from philadelphia for a job and the unit we are looking at has a door to the outside world (rare in larger condo's), 18ft ceilings and all those amenities. For my situation financially and since they are willing to make concessions as far as closing date, a Hubbard clause, additional upgrades of the condo prior to closing it is extremely attractive. We have a dog and having a street entrance not to mention the fenced in dog run, makes things much easier for walks in the middle of the night, etc. I'll be working at Roger Williams which is also like a 2min drive.

I just don't see this place as the death trap everyone is making it out to be.

They are also offering a rebate of closing costs.

I realize the market is softening and all of these incentives are really helpful in my situation.

I've been flip flopping back and forth about my feelings about buying in providence in general. The philadelphia housing market has been going strong for a long time and shows no sign of letting up. We will make out great selling our downtown condo there. I'm just not sure that providence has the market strengh to weather a declining housing market.

We want to be east of 95 basically (downcity or east side) with room for a dog. Does anyone know of condos I should check out that meet this criteria?

I'd like to share a few points from my experience staying at the 903.

The walls and ceilings allowed conversations and footsteps of neighbors to be heard.

Other renters included college students who treated the amenities with little respect, i.e. left trash (and other ..ahem waste items) in the hall, abused the pool and hot-tub, and were generally disrespectful of the facility and tenants.

There was (is there still?) a club/bar (Monet) down the street (Harris Ave), as well as strip club (Fantasies) that drew late night activity/noise which was a downside to having a door to the street.

One day while we were trying to enjoy the pool there were many children whose parents offered little supervision. I just remember seeing a bag of cheetos entering the hot tub with one of the kids and thinking... ew

So, yes, the building and rooms have a nice layout. The ameneties are nice, and the location is pretty great, but I just wanted to share a few memories that you may not encounter on a day-time visit.

Sure, bad tenants are a problem at any facility. The surprise about the 903 is that it appeared, at least to us, that it was quiet and upscale - almost elite, but there was more to the picture than we realized.

Please remember the rules of UrbanPlanet prohibit the discussion of direct real estate transactions. It's fine to discuss the good and bad of areas of the city and even particular buildings. Posting links to sales, or discussing the pricing on specific units is not allowed.

Feel free to PM each if you wish, but you are not allowed to solicit sales through PM.

Please remember the rules of UrbanPlanet prohibit the discussion of direct real estate transactions. It's fine to discuss the good and bad of areas of the city and even particular buildings. Posting links to sales, or discussing the pricing on specific units is not allowed.

Feel free to PM each if you wish, but you are not allowed to solicit sales through PM.

Probably not a bad idea, because the soft real-estate market is not likely to bottom for another year or so, according to my favorite investing guy. So there's no rush to buy something -- why not rent for awhile, getting a month-to-month lease from your landlord if possible, then scope out the town and wait for a "motivated seller" whose ARM is blowing up in their face? :thumbsup:

Urb

Urb great advice. If you're moving to a new city, renting first is always the call (doesn't matter what the market is doing) It allows you to pick what area you like best etc... 903 will not be your choice. Even though you just planted the posts originally trying to market.

It could maybe be something we would do down the line sometime, but we don't have the resources (i.e. the staff to moderate it) right now. The main reason we don't allow direct advertisment of specific property is because some of the advertising revenue we use to run the site comes from real estate companies. If we give it away for free, then no one would pay us for it. It would also bring posters to the forum that are only looking to make money for themselves and not become part of the community that makes up UrbanPlanet. I would like to be able to allow regular forum members to be able to post things they're selling, unfortunately it's hard to make a rule about who is regular and what they should be allowed to advertise, so it's easiest to just say no to everything, at least for now.

Archived