West Ashley Greenway

Charleston native

I thought of posting this in the development thread, but since this involves a project which can create conversation by itself, I made a new thread. I have a link below for an op-ed in today's P & C that addresses an issue that I have long complained about to the city of Charleston. The issue is the West Ashley Greenway, a running and bicycle "path" which was made from an old railroad track that ran all the way to the Ashley River. My complaint for this greenway is that it is a city project that was done completely half-a$$. <_< Sections of the path are only paved intermittently at cross-street intersections, the rest of the path is just grass or dirt, there is no lighting, and the cross-street intersections are somewhat unsafe where users have to watch for traffic.

This op-ed finally addresses this issue which I believe is an embarassment to Charleston since the city prides itself on beautiful parks and excellent recreation. I believe the author provides adequate solutions to complete the greenway, but I think she missed one point: lighting. I think that ample lights should be installed for the entire length of the greenway as well as completely PAVING it. Also, I think that some of the intersections should not have cross-street intersections. Instead, beautiful walkway bridges could be built where the major intersections are: Wesley Drive, Coburg Road, Farmfield Road, Markfield Drive, Betsy Road, Wappoo Road, Arlington Road, and Mutual Drive. For the other cross-street intersections, reflective rumble strips could be placed on the streets.

Anyway, please read the article, and let me know what you think. Also, do you have any other ideas for this greenway? BTW, as a side note, I think the exact modifications should be made to the West Ashley Bikeway which runs parallel to the greenway on the other side of Savannah Highway.

West Ashley Greenway needs help

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I feel the op-ed had it right. It's kind of sad that something with as much potential as this has been ignored for so long. But I do think something will be done about it soon now that the 1/2 cent sales tax has passed. Larger projects are getting all the attention right now(doubling of the bus service, new roadways and lrt) but I hope this will get its due attention soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Charleston this past weekend and drove by the initial entrance to this greenway on Folly Road-Wesley Drive. Bushes have grown over the sign, and the entrance is obscured by other vegetation. The city really is dropping the ball on this...I really hope they get started on appropriating money and significantly improving this diamond-in-the-rough of a recreational bikepath.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

There are some survey markers on the WA Greenway. One person said it was going to be paved. Also extended further onto Johns Island. The Greenway is also part of an east coast bike path that runs from way up north to down south. I have heard that from several reliable sources, but have no idea where it connects, north or south. I haven

:thumbsup: Oh man, here's hoping that it will be paved. I can't tell you how many runners I've talked to who've almost sprained ankles with all of the divets and holes in the unpaved, grassy trail. To have a truly worldclass park and recreation system, cities must build a project that is worthwhile. This greenway is a great recreational asset, but if it was improved, it would be safer and more aesthetically pleasing.

Extending this greenway onto Johns Island is a great idea. This project is very similar to Fort Collins' (Colorado) bikeway that goes from one complete end of the city to another. It stimulates bike usage...cyclists wouldn't have to use dangerous roadways, since it traverses the city limits.

With more parts Johns Island annexing into Chas, it makes sense, anyway.

Archived