IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

This is pretty insane, where are the renderings? I just hope it really breaks ground. On an aside I drove past BBS on my way home and was over at the Shoppes at Farmington Valley on my lunch break. I think Front Street has so much more potential than either of those. At least BBS is mixed use and from what I can see the final product will be decent. I don't care what Front Street looks like, but it better blow the other stuff in the area away in terms of design.

We haven't seen any renderings because I don't think there are any.... yet.

I think this "groundbreaking" is more symbolic than anything. They are not going to begin building today. Its probably more infrastructure type stuff that has been planned out for a while. I think officials want to show this project is moving ahead more than anything.

I just saw the groundbreaking on WFSB Channel 3. Nitkin was talking about Hartford coming back and how developers are noticing. Rell, Perex, were all there. No renderings.

According to NBC, construction isn't going to start until next Spring with an opening of mid 2008. If construction won't start for another 5 months, why is there a groundbreaking at all? No ground is being broken! It's just to make Rell look like she acually accomplished something much like her "deadlines" for Front Street.

Edited by spatulashack

According to NBC, construction isn't going to start until next Spring with an opening of mid 2008. If construction won't start for another 5 months, why is there a groundbreaking at all? No ground is being broken! It's just to make Rell look like she acually accomplished something much like her "deadlines" for Front Street.

Forgive me for being a pessimist but in my opinion this project, as it stands, is no better off than it was 2 or 3 months ago. There are too many parking lots in Hartford which were born from green lighted projects. In some situations 4 or 5 months might not be so bad but this means 115 apartments and 60,000 square feet of retail will come on line 10 years after the original Adriaens Landing proposal.

I'll now take the role of optimist and argue there is no way at this point in Hartford's redevelopment this project is high-risk, especially with a boat load of state dollars and virtually no restaurants, entertainment, or retail within view of convention center. If this were a project at the "12B" location or even the proposed Plaza Mayor...just a stone's throw away...you might convince me it has a chance of not succeeding. Start building already.

A groundbreaking ceremony for a project with no renderings...

...what a complete farce (although I cannot say that I'm surprised)....

The Front Street saga continues...

Given that the state is financing more than half of this gem now, I'm surprised no one asked at the ceremony why Nitkin, Rell, or Perez had no plans to share.

this development has turned into a JOKE. what is really a low risk, high reward project, nitkin has held the state and city hostage on-taking them for all of the subsidies and he will reap 1000% of the rewards. this site is across from a new, national class, convention center. alot of expense accounts comming in, and he is investing little out of pocket. how dare he talk about hartford's comeback - if he believed in it it would be his money not ours - in this project. he is a BUM B-U-M BUM BUM!!!!

yep, we need Roland back.

I can actually agree with that as a dem who voted for Rowland with no problem. He was a pretty good leader for the state and way better than any of the choices we currently have. Oh well. CT will be alright regardless, but we could actually be moving forward if we had someone with vision. That's my main problem with Rell, lack of vision. She is much too status quo for me.