IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

Groundbreakings are ceremonial but I've never heard of a situation where ground is broken 4-5 months before construction is scheduled to begin. In fact, groundbreakings usually take place AFTER early construction already started. Hartford 21 didn't "break ground" until a month or so after interior demolition already began. All the projects at my school either started work the next week or had already begun work before the ceremony. People who think this is, "normal" are stretching.

Groundbreakings are ceremonial but I've never heard of a situation where ground is broken 4-5 months before construction is scheduled to begin. In fact, groundbreakings usually take place AFTER early construction already started. Hartford 21 didn't "break ground" until a month or so after interior demolition already began. All the projects at my school either started work the next week or had already begun work before the ceremony. People who think this is, "normal" are stretching.

For the record, the science center "broke ground" in October 2005, though major construction equipment didn't move on site until January 06

Typical Hartford Advocate bashing. And in true Advocate fashion, they failed to get accurate information. "Richard" Cohen was the previous developer who had invested in and presented plans for Front St. previously. "Laurence" Cohen is a columnist for the Courant who is actually as anti urban as you can get.

Bravo Advocate - you've done it again. Its no wonder no one takes you seriously.

Speak for yourself. That link doesn't link to anything. The article looks okay to me:

http://www.ctnow.com/custom/nmm/hartfordad...0,6784747.story

Speak for yourself. That link doesn't link to anything. The article looks okay to me:

http://www.ctnow.com/custom/nmm/hartfordad...0,6784747.story

I do speak for myself. The Advocate is a joke. The link you posted has been corrected. The original link had names completely wrong which is probably why it is no longer active.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one reported on this already but I walked by Front Street yesterday and there are two LARGE modular buildings set up where the construction managers and offices for the project will be located as well as an enormous hole in the ground on the corner of Columbus and Arch. I walk by the site at least twice a week so I'll keep you all updated.

I've noticed the modular buildings before, but this is the first I've heard of a big @ss hole in the ground at the corner of Arch and Columbus. As long as something is happening, I'll take that as good news.

Me too!! Finally, visible progress at Front Street!!

• 2 weeks later...

There are no definitive plans or renderings yet. According to the Advocate this week, CCEDA will have a definitive deal finalized in the next two weeks.

THE CCEDA should have plenty of time to finish this deal now that they completely ignore their website. It may be nitpicking but if they were truly firing on all cylinders these details would not be overlooked.

THE CCEDA should have plenty of time to finish this deal now that they completely ignore their website. It may be nitpicking but if they were truly firing on all cylinders these details would not be overlooked.

The CCEDA is reaching the end of its usefull life anyway. They just don't have any money to play with anymore after Front Street is completed.

The CCEDA is reaching the end of its usefull life anyway. They just don't have any money to play with anymore after Front Street is completed.

This is true. However, they are still serving a purpose and if they're overseeing any aspect of Front Street or the Science Center than they should continue to put their best foot forward. Sometimes the best marketing and press doesn't come from a catchy slogan, slick commercial, or a highway billboard. Competence, efficiency, and ease of doing business can go a LONG way in changing perceptions.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the signage, it says PARKING $7/daily 140/monthly....j/k, however, we were sold a bill of goods on the front street plan. get ready for a low rent development that won't have anything near the firepower needed to draw people out of the suburbs and away from the malls and west hartford center. if the state is willing to let that be the case then don't bother, just pave it over. if this development is not an attractive alternative, who will support the businesses, the residents of hartford? probably not as your average hartford resident is poor. you would need to put in a saks, burberry, louis vitton - stores not already in the hartford area - to draw in the suburbanites. convention attendees would also be attracted to these stores. you plop 'abe's fashions' or 'above us' and you will attract almost zero suburban people and zero money from the conventioners. any conventional stores - macy's/lord and taylor - will not be shopped (why drive into hartford and pay for parking when i live in avon and westfarms is closer?) and convention attendee business would be low at best. unless something great is built, within 10 years of being completed, if completed, most of the store fronts will be vacant and the city will be looking to redevelop the area again.

Hartford has really dropped the ball with this one. All the momentum that we had for Front Street has fizzled away. The city and the developer need to stopped wasting time and just build the damn thing the right way. If the present developer can't do that then let Larry have a go at it. Bet you anything that within a year Larry would have construction off the ground on something 10 times better than what's on the table now. (if anything is on the table)

I saw the signage, it says PARKING $7/daily 140/monthly....j/k, however, we were sold a bill of goods on the front street plan. get ready for a low rent development that won't have anything near the firepower needed to draw people out of the suburbs and away from the malls and west hartford center. if the state is willing to let that be the case then don't bother, just pave it over. if this development is not an attractive alternative, who will support the businesses, the residents of hartford? probably not as your average hartford resident is poor. you would need to put in a saks, burberry, louis vitton - stores not already in the hartford area - to draw in the suburbanites. convention attendees would also be attracted to these stores. you plop 'abe's fashions' or 'above us' and you will attract almost zero suburban people and zero money from the conventioners. any conventional stores - macy's/lord and taylor - will not be shopped (why drive into hartford and pay for parking when i live in avon and westfarms is closer?) and convention attendee business would be low at best. unless something great is built, within 10 years of being completed, if completed, most of the store fronts will be vacant and the city will be looking to redevelop the area again.

$140 I wish - its frikkin $180!! Theres a 1,000 person waitlist for Travelers employees - just let 'em in, nothing else is gonna be there for 5 years.