IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

I caught the tail end of a story on Ch.3 about new signage for Front St.? Anyone see or know anything about it?

WHERES THE SITE PLAN!?!?

A large sign was recently put up on the fence near Arch St. that says, "FRONT STREET DISTRICT - COMING SOON." I can't believe this thing is actually being built. Now we just need some renderings so that we can all complain and moan about them. :lol:

A large sign was recently put up on the fence near Arch St. that says, "FRONT STREET DISTRICT - COMING SOON." I can't believe this thing is actually being built. Now we just need some renderings so that we can all complain and moan about them. :lol:

Here's the sign.

HFD17.jpg

Edited by drc72

I agree, the two downtowns are only 3 miles apart. Maybe a star shuttle linking the areas would be benefitial.

The CT Transit service is pretty good along Farmington Avenue.. Those who say they want the Star Shuttle to go down Franklin Ave or Farmington Ave. are missing the point of it. That's what the interurban buses are for.

All right how bout a Trolley down Farmington?

That would be nice, but in order for a trolley to work it would need the complete right-of-way. Farmington Avenue could be widened since most buildings aren't built to the sidewalk.

When you take away I-84 from the picture.. which is what should be discussed, but of course now the DOT wants to invest 100 million in it...... then it would be a whole different story. But with the highway cutting right through, there isn't the traffic on Farmington Avenue needed to really sell a project like that.

I'd love to erase I-84, widen Farmington Avenue to a proper avenue, and put a trolley line in the middle with stations on the median. Program people to learn how to drive with a trolley since that skill has all but been erased in America. Maybe in the future.......

The CT Transit service is pretty good along Farmington Avenue.. Those who say they want the Star Shuttle to go down Franklin Ave or Farmington Ave. are missing the point of it. That's what the interurban buses are for.

The benefit of the Star Shuttle though is the branding. 'People' don't like riding buses, call it a Star Shuttle and wrap it in happy logos and suddenly 'people' are all over it, "when we were in Hartford we took the Star Shuttle, it was so much fun." People are sheep, tell them they aren't really riding a bus and they'll be happy.

There is a huge difference between downtown cirulators like the STAR and a regular bus. Size, for one. The scale is more hunman and they are easier to keep clean. Most of the good cirulators I have seen around the country also have wooden bench seats that are eaier to clean. If the routes are designed properly, the buses only make right hand turns so the ciruulator is always on the move. And of course, they are free.

Peoople hate buses and they are near impossible to market. The only exception I have foound is the buses in London.

The $12 million tax break should be approved within weeks and construction should start by the fall with 18-24 months of construction.

Courant Article

They MUST HAVE seen a site plan if they know where stuff is going to go! How do we get ahold of it???

The plan received mixed reviews from the committee members, although there were few comments on the tax deal itself.

Instead, Bazzano and Councilwoman Veronica Airey-Wilson said they were concerned that the construction of a state-owned parking garage would make Arch Street a no man's land, but for the Arch Street Tavern restaurant.

Airey-Wilson also said she wanted retail that would attract more than just out-of-towners and convention-goers.

In response, the developers said the garage's Arch Street location was prompted in part by Mayor Eddie A. Perez, who didn't like the original plans for the garage to face Columbus Boulevard. As for the retail breakdown at the site - 75 percent restaurants, 25 percent "convenience" retail - the developer and the state said the retail mix was being designed to cater to everyone.

The city council seems like a bunch of morons.

One member doesn't like the name Front Street because she believes it's not welcoming enough for city minorities! What an idiot!

I was thinking the same exact thing, beerbeer. I don't know where these people get off saying they speak for everyone. I'm a young 25 year old black man who recently moved downtown close to the Front Street site and want nothing more than for it to come to a speedy and successful fruition.

These idiots are going to force my hand into politics....

I was thinking the same exact thing, beerbeer. I don't know where these people get off saying they speak for everyone. I'm a young 25 year old black man who recently moved downtown close to the Front Street site and want nothing more than for it to come to a speedy and successful fruition.

I further agree with your assessments Beer and Tycoon....the City Council seems to be doing exactly what it has always done in it's recent history, which is stonewall, block, cause problems, and be generally ineffective. Thankfully now there is a Strong Mayor system where the City Council does not have all of the power.

The good thing about this, based on the article, is that even though they may not agree whole-heartedly with the plan, they still will approve the tax break.

Go for it. Please get involved in Hartford politics.

Here's my perspective. I'm a 26 year-old white man who's lived in the West End for 4 years. I think Hartford's great. I think it's really poised to take off, but I'm totally perplexed when hear opposition to Front Street ... that Winch thinks "Front Street doesn't invite me." What does that mean?!

Does it mean that most of her constituents can't afford to shop there? I well imagine that might be the case for a lot of Hartford's residents. But how is Hartford supposed to expand its tax base--how can it pay for itself, its schools, its police--if nobody comes here? Of course it's for out of towners--out of towners that come into Hartford to spend money. And maybe, one day, out of towners who say, hey, Hartford is a beautiful city, steeped in history, arts and culture, convenient to shopping, and safe. We should move here.

I know from earlier posts, HartfordTycoon, that you're from the city's North End, and so it's especially important from my perspective to hear yours. Where are these community leaders coming from? How is this all supposed to work? What do you think the solution is? I feel like we need leaders in this city who understand business and economics, who can relate to professionals--both those who run the city's companies and those who could be attracted to living here--but that somebody also has to understand the community. I know a lot more about the former than the latter (though I have some ideas).

Anyway, enough rambling. I think it would be great, though, to start a thread about solving some of this city's toughest issues, and the perspectives from folks from different backgrounds.

Let me give you an example. I helped coach a debate team at Hartford Public a few years ago. The kids I worked with were great. Now, they were also self-selected--they didn't have to be there--I grant you, but they really tried their best. Anyway, we hosted a debate where kids from all over the region came to compete. My team showed up in street clothes while everybody else was wearing a suit. I said, "what are you doing?!!" (I worried it was because those clothes were too expensive. But now I realize that so much else--from sneakers to jerseys--are equally if not more expensive than a nice pair of trousers and a blazer from JCPenny or Sears.) Their response: "we're going to scare these guys; they're on our turf!" "Are you kidding?" I said. "You are on theirs! They may not be comfortable walking around Hartford at night, but they sure has heck are comfortable with debating you. Especially when it looks like you're totally unprepared."

I realized that such a small thing makes a huge difference--these kids just hadn't grown up in a business culture. I had watched my dad put on a suit every morning, my whole life. How do you teach that? Throw all the money you want at a school, the teacher doesn't dress the kid every morning.

... Unless you have uniforms.

Anyway, too much for this thread, I know, but important stuff, and I'd love to hear HartfordTycoon's perspective.

The city council seems like a bunch of morons.

One member doesn't like the name Front Street because she believes it's not welcoming enough for city minorities! What an idiot!

I wonder if she needs a history lesson on the name Front Street- named after the original Italian neighborhood (East Side) leveled to make room for what is there now. At the time, that neighborhood was looked down upon for its minority, immigrant population. So he statement that the name doesn't invite her or other minorities is ironic. Naming the site Front Street will never bring back the neighborhood. But it certainly pays homage to a Hartford minority group's past and shines a light on the group's history.

Go for it. Please get involved in Hartford politics.

Here's my perspective. I'm a 26 year-old white man who's lived in the West End for 4 years. I think Hartford's great. I think it's really poised to take off, but I'm totally perplexed when hear opposition to Front Street ... that Winch thinks "Front Street doesn't invite me." What does that mean?!

Does it mean that most of her constituents can't afford to shop there? I well imagine that might be the case for a lot of Hartford's residents. But how is Hartford supposed to expand its tax base--how can it pay for itself, its schools, its police--if nobody comes here? Of course it's for out of towners--out of towners that come into Hartford to spend money. And maybe, one day, out of towners who say, hey, Hartford is a beautiful city, steeped in history, arts and culture, convenient to shopping, and safe. We should move here.

I know from earlier posts, HartfordTycoon, that you're from the city's North End, and so it's especially important from my perspective to hear yours. Where are these community leaders coming from? How is this all supposed to work? What do you think the solution is? I feel like we need leaders in this city who understand business and economics, who can relate to professionals--both those who run the city's companies and those who could be attracted to living here--but that somebody also has to understand the community. I know a lot more about the former than the latter (though I have some ideas).

Anyway, enough rambling. I think it would be great, though, to start a thread about solving some of this city's toughest issues, and the perspectives from folks from different backgrounds.

Let me give you an example. I helped coach a debate team at Hartford Public a few years ago. The kids I worked with were great. Now, they were also self-selected--they didn't have to be there--I grant you, but they really tried their best. Anyway, we hosted a debate where kids from all over the region came to compete. My team showed up in street clothes while everybody else was wearing a suit. I said, "what are you doing?!!" (I worried it was because those clothes were too expensive. But now I realize that so much else--from sneakers to jerseys--are equally if not more expensive than a nice pair of trousers and a blazer from JCPenny or Sears.) Their response: "we're going to scare these guys; they're on our turf!" "Are you kidding?" I said. "You are on theirs! They may not be comfortable walking around Hartford at night, but they sure has heck are comfortable with debating you. Especially when it looks like you're totally unprepared."

I realized that such a small thing makes a huge difference--these kids just hadn't grown up in a business culture. I had watched my dad put on a suit every morning, my whole life. How do you teach that? Throw all the money you want at a school, the teacher doesn't dress the kid every morning.

... Unless you have uniforms.

Anyway, too much for this thread, I know, but important stuff, and I'd love to hear HartfordTycoon's perspective.

Great post! It's certainly interesting to hear your perspective as well. I myself am a proud graduate of Hartford High c/o 99 so I know exactly what you mean about that debate team you worked with. The kids really and truly do have all of the potential in the world, however people don't expect much from them and that's part of the problem. They need to be pushed and not patronized.

Now on to Ms. Winch. I don't know her personally but know her to be well intentioned, but short sighted like so many of Hartford's politicians. I don't understand her perspective at all here. There will be plenty of jobs for employable city residents. An obvious plus. Although everything in Front Street will not be appealing to everybody there will be enough for everyone. Diversity is a good thing. This is as much about getting Hartford more economically intergrated as well as socially and racially.