IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

What is causing the complications is the fact that Nitkin wants to include condos - not rentals - in his plan. The problem is that the land is already owned by Travelers. How do you sell condos to someone when someone else already owns the land?

Another problem is Nitkin has to use the infrastructure already in place and design around existing garages, streets, utilities, etc.

The story stresses that Nitkin is the "preferred developer" - nothing is a done deal yet. In order to increase his chances, Nitkin has had Robert Stern design multiple plans for Front Street. I hope we get to see them all.

I hope so. And though there are several complications to building condos at part of the site, I hope the final plans include them. Home ownership should be the #1 priority in downtown development, as it is essential to the health of any city. People care more about their city if they own a piece of it.

HARTFORD, Conn. -- In between the new Connecticut Convention Center and Hartford's downtown are six bare and empty acres.

Questions of who owns the land and how to configure the development have complicated negotiations, but both sides hope to have a deal in place by year's end. But, given that this is the state's third try, they say haste is not a priority.

"You only get to design a project of this magnitude once," said Bradley Nitkin, the Greenwich-based developer hoping to make his Hartford mark. "And my view is, you want to do it the right way."

In 2004, the Capital City Economic Development Authority dumped developer Richard Cohen after he failed to begin work in two years. A year ago, an effort to find a new developer failed.

"We're definitely getting closer to an announcement," said Nitkin, who was selected as "preferred developer" in April. He and his architects, the eminent Robert A.M. Stern's New York City firm, have submitted several configurations.

Half the land is owned by The Travelers Indemnity Co., with the state holding a 99-year lease, so one holdup involves figuring out how Nitkin would be able to sell condos on the site."

------------------------------------

My question is if only half the land is 99-year leased, whhy not build the condos on the othe half of the land?

My question is if only half the land is 99-year leased, whhy not build the condos on the othe half of the land?

Sounds like they don't want the condo's to be seperate from the retail in one or two towers, but rather integrate the two in more expansive buildings.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While its great that the Science Center has broken ground, I noticed that the northwest parcel at Front Street has been paved, lined, landscaped, fenced in and lit and is now being used as a surface parking lot. Thats a little troubling...

Hopefully that's just for the convenience of the construction workers, since they can't park in the Science Center lot anymore. That is probably the last spot that will be developed (originally that is where the residential tower was going to go). It's funny, I noticed in the new Front Street garage that a whole section is blocked off for "Residents Only" parking already - at least that shows a little optimism..... NOW SHOW ME THE SITE PLAN, CCEDA & Nitkin!

• 2 weeks later...

Should I stop holding my breath now?

Anyhwho, I still maintain that a retail outlet village would be perfect at Front Street (a la Clinton, CT or Wretham, MA). It would appeal to the West Hartford crowd while not competing with it and it offers something that Buckland doesn't (Buckland is utilitarian shopping not a destination). It would also be great for the convention crowd.

Sounds good to me as long as ample parking is available (no one is going to take mass transit to an outlet), but they better come out with something soon. Also, that may help to attract some retail-oriented conventions.

I wonder how the state would react to Foxwoods or Mohegan opening up an "annex" at Front Street - just a few tables and slots, nice restaurant, etc.

what's it cost to park in the convention center? or maybe some underground parking could be worked in. Just an idea. I feel like Front Street needs to offer something (retail oriented) that the malls don't. The other idea I had was a Fanual Hall like place... but I still feel like an outlet village would hit the spot. But, you are correct, parking needs to be considered.