IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

I don't get this???? How come there more things AND BISS going on in berlin turnpike IN THE SUB and not in HARTFORD and now there should of been more store in Hartford then the sub and why is this and is it that is a sub pridefull act to this case I mean why??????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :unsure:

No hallucination, the prep work has been happening for years. Do all the prep work you want, no plans=nothing to build.

Considering the initial Arts Council comment, all that was stated was the obvious-condo market is soft and people are down on the Front Street project. Evergreen Walk and Blue Back Square have been either completed or nearing completion in this time frame. It's pretty much ensuring the district won't be nearly as unique-could've had a 5 year head start over South Windsor and West Hartford. Who knows if this project had been completed either before or in conjunction with the Convention Center opening, what impact that would've had.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It's so depressing. I agree that something is better than nothing, but we didn't bite when there was a market. If you put stores that previously didn't exist in Hartford County (Cheesecake Factory, Crate and Barrel) in Front Street, you corner that part of the market and give people something downtown that they can't get in their suburb. But Blueback beat us to the punch on that one--and to the extent there was a void of upscale shopping east of the river, Evergreen filled that gap.

Frankly--and I don't mean to sound naive--I still think there's an unmet upscale market in Hartford. We need the likes of Saks, Zara, Barney's and Pink. The folks who dine at the Emperor are the target. Avon, West Hartford, Simsbury; they buy it online or take trips to Boston or Manhattan. You still can't find this stuff in Westfarms or Evergreen Walk, and it's what cities are made for. Make Front Street beautiful and safe, and offer nice restaurants and convenient parking, and I'm telling you; they'll buy. Then, you've got the conventioners to boot. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't take off if it were built.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It's so depressing. I agree that something is better than nothing, but we didn't bite when there was a market. If you put stores that previously didn't exist in Hartford County (Cheesecake Factory, Crate and Barrel) in Front Street, you corner that part of the market and give people something downtown that they can't get in their suburb. But Blueback beat us to the punch on that one--and to the extent there was a void of upscale shopping east of the river, Evergreen filled that gap.

Frankly--and I don't mean to sound naive--I still think there's an unmet upscale market in Hartford. We need the likes of Saks, Zara, Barney's and Pink. The folks who dine at the Emperor are the target. Avon, West Hartford, Simsbury; they buy it online or take trips to Boston or Manhattan. You still can't find this stuff in Westfarms or Evergreen Walk, and it's what cities are made for. Make Front Street beautiful and safe, and offer nice restaurants and convenient parking, and I'm telling you; they'll buy. Then, you've got the conventioners to boot. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't take off if it were built.

We're in the same boat. I don't see why this has been so painful to watch, should've been a slam dunk.

Aren't those people already shopping at Stackpole Moore Tryon and Tuesday's? Most of those types of people aren't going to come downtown just because it's a national retailer as opposed to a local. It's the same product for the same price.

The ones who live in Farmington and Canton and don't come downtown, they still aren't going to come, until we get some real property tax reform and they start paying for the priveledge of contributing to sprawl. Then downtown won't seem so bad.

No hallucination, the prep work has been happening for years. Do all the prep work you want, no plans=nothing to build.

Considering the initial Arts Council comment, all that was stated was the obvious-condo market is soft and people are down on the Front Street project. Evergreen Walk and Blue Back Square have been either completed or nearing completion in this time frame. It's pretty much ensuring the district won't be nearly as unique-could've had a 5 year head start over South Windsor and West Hartford. Who knows if this project had been completed either before or in conjunction with the Convention Center opening, what impact that would've had.

Just consider it another what could of been type of deal.

Aren't those people already shopping at Stackpole Moore Tryon and Tuesday's? Most of those types of people aren't going to come downtown just because it's a national retailer as opposed to a local. It's the same product for the same price.

The ones who live in Farmington and Canton and don't come downtown, they still aren't going to come, until we get some real property tax reform and they start paying for the priveledge of contributing to sprawl. Then downtown won't seem so bad.

Well, here here for property tax reform! I mean that would solve a lot of problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I encourage everyone else to do the same...

http://hbnitkin.com/contactus.php

Questions/Comments:

When will the site plan for Front Street be made available? Also, it would be beneficial if you could create an account in the "Greater Hartford" forum on www.urbanplanet.org to keep all interested parties updated as to your progress.

Thank you,

Theophrastus Bombastus Von Hoheimen

New Front Street Article. Not much new here, but at least it seems like appropriate prep work is about to begin. When it warms up we really better be seeing some major work begining.

McGraw Hill Construction

Let's see if this holds true when the summer season comes around.

Robert A.M. Stern Architects of New York is expected to unveil detailed plans this year and construction would begin this summer and last about 18 months

My father and his friend were at the convention center today for the Home show. Instead of walking over to Front St. for a glass of beer and some food they headed back into their car and drove over to Black eyed Sally's. I was glad they stayed in Hartford, however we need Front st. to get some damn people on the street. Granted they probably could have walked over to Sally's but Front st. would make it so much more convenient. I wonder how many convention goers actually stayed in Hartford for a drink or bite to eat tonight?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really glad to see that H.B. Nitkin Group is still on the table. He's done some wonderful projects in Stamford and other areas which includes the Shops at Somerset Square in Glastonbury and said he really fell for Hartford after spending some time there and is now a city proponent which IMHO is hard to come by from FFC residents at times.

It's not a site plan but here's an article from the Hartford business Journal about Nitkin's thoughts on the site and city.

http://hbnitkin.com/news/pdf/HartBizJournalJul_05.pdf

Still, he says, he was “curious,” and came to

the city to inspect the site. “And as soon as I

looked at what was happening in downtown

Hartford, I had an epiphany. I called my officeand said,

‘This is really exciting. Let’s get the

copy of the RFP from the State of Connecticut

and let’s go after this project.’ And I threw

myself into it.”

Edited by JayHass

I encourage everyone else to do the same...

http://hbnitkin.com/contactus.php

Questions/Comments:

When will the site plan for Front Street be made available? Also, it would be beneficial if you could create an account in the "Greater Hartford" forum on www.urbanplanet.org to keep all interested parties updated as to your progress.

Thank you,

Theophrastus Bombastus Von Hoheimen

I sent the following note to [email protected] just a minute ago. I would suggest that people send similar, personalized emails (don't just copy and paste or I bet they'll interpret it as spam...):

As a resident within walking distance of the Front Street development in Hartford, as well as someone who drives by it daily coming to and from work, I have been curious to see what the plan is to develop the site. When will the site plan for Front Street be made available to the public? Is there any sort of promotional material your group has assembled for marketing purposes that you could send me?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it, and I appreciate your group's contribution to revitalizing this great city!

-=Rob

Evergreen Walk and Blue Back Square have been either completed or nearing completion in this time frame. It's pretty much ensuring the district won't be nearly as unique-could've had a 5 year head start over South Windsor and West Hartford.

None of those projects should have been allowed to be built!!! Evergreen Walk is one of those cop-out "new urbanism" strip mall schemes built by the local and municipal land whores on sprawling hills and fields of the once picturesqe Connecticut countryside. Everything there should be concentrated in the city. It's a no brainer to witness the fact that every town in this state competes for the same junk on a flawed and broken state charter! Reorganization of state government is paramount to a revitilization of the city! County wide government bodies are key to the centralization of growth and urban developement. They should have foresight and reflect a 100 year timetable. Bill Curry had many proposals about county government in 2002. The cities are where things must concentrate. Think of how much better off Connecticut would be if it adopted that system in the last century.

The car is not a neutral actor on the urban landscape; the car brings mobility, and it brings problems. People in this country only see the mobility; they don't see the problems. <_<

imgp02521bw4.jpg

Edited by Hartfordite

None of those projects should have been allowed to be built!!! Evergreen Walk is one of those cop-out "new urbanism" strip mall schemes built by the local and municipal land whores on sprawling hills and fields of the once picturesqe Connecticut countryside. Everything there should be concentrated in the city.

Uh oh, prepare for the onslaught of "how dare you tell us suburbanites how to live and Hartford sucks" comments, oh, along with the "you are a Devil Worshiper" comments.....

:scared:

Uh oh, prepare for the onslaught of "how dare you tell us suburbanites how to live and Hartford sucks" comments, oh, along with the "you are a Devil Worshiper" comments.....

:scared:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA :yahoo:

Anyways those parking lots need to go for what I see in the pic.

I think the those parking lots should be saved for future highrise offices buildings. :good:

I don't know but if this would be a good idea or not can Hartford build the worlds tallest parking garages if such so y'all may disagree with me, but I think thats a cool idea :camera:

• 2 weeks later...

Because the Courant sucks and the HBJ is on their game! LOL

Where's the Hartford Times when you need it...

JayHass:

Lets see.. I was a paperboy for the Hartford Times when they quit. I did deliver most of the paper to my good customers (including the mayor), but my worst customers didn't get their paper. Of course, I didn't get paid for 2 weeks.

JimS