IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

Hey Cotuit I hope you banned the guy who said I have gay sex or whatever. Give me a break. I hope you're even handed with your authority.

You can't be serious. You're giving me advice on who to ban? You're a funny guy. :lol:

I don't think the height of Front Street is as important as the quality of the development.

If it's cheap like the student housing at Sage Allen, it will be a disaster. If it is first class, well built, high quality, it will be a success.

We tend to hung up on towers. I like 'em too. But Hartford has a terrific skyline. It needs to fill in the city a bit. So that folks walking around the city discover areas of interest. Pratt Street is a great example. I was in Hartford on business with a friend from Virginia. When we turned the corner onto Pratt, he looked and said, this is like walking on a movie set. That's exactly what Front Street needs to be. A cool place.

Edited by beerbeer

Just saw the picture on the news. They said it was only a rough draft picture, and didn't include any architectural details. Kind of makes sense because the picture is kind of bland, considering the architect is Robert Stern.

Stern's stuff www.ramsa.com

Just saw the picture on the news. They said it was only a rough draft picture, and didn't include any architectural details. Kind of makes sense because the picture is kind of bland, considering the architect is Robert Stern.

Stern's stuff www.ramsa.com

I'm actually quite shocked at how much I like most of Stern's designs, considering I despise a huge portion of modern architecture. If he can deliver a design that is up to par with most of his work, I will be estatic.

By the way, for those of you who haven't seen the sketch in the HBJ yet, you aren't really missing anything. Its a single blurry image that has almost no detail and doesn't really indicate anything.

Edited by MichaelQReilly

I'm actually quite shocked at how much I like most of Stern's designs, considering I despise a huge portion of modern architecture. If he can deliver a design that is up to par with most of his work, I will be estatic.

By the way, for those of you who haven't seen the sketch in the HBJ yet, you aren't really missing anything. Its a single blurry image that has almost no detail and doesn't really indicate anything.

http://www.wfsb.com/video/10020762/detail.html

Stern's designs strike me as modern but still classic and understated... perfect for the Hartford skyline. Its why I am hoping his condo building will be a kind of focal point for the development.

There will be no condos in the 1st phase of Front Street, only apartments. That's because the original Adriaen's legislation specifically says apartments, and to get the state money, it would have to be re-written. With Perez as mayor, it would be tough for the gov and the legislature to change it now. ALso, Travelers owns some of the land.

Stern's designs strike me as modern but still classic and understated... perfect for the Hartford skyline. Its why I am hoping his condo building will be a kind of focal point for the development.

I really like their who we are statement on their website. Essentially, they believe in making context sensitive buildings that respect the aestetic and intellectual heritage of the area that they are building in.