IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

Good idea - plus, if they wanted to leave room to expand, they should have lined it up to Columbus, then put the empty triangle between the building and 91.

I disagree. The building sits directly along the highway/river, with its terrace overlooking the river. Setting it back would have eliminated that vantage point, which is one of the building's assets. I think the room for development on the Columbus Blvd. side makes the most sense. The problem is that it's a parking lot, and we all despise surface parking. They should have made it a park, and the street should be lined with trees to keep a linear perspective for motorists and pedestrians alike.

I sent the Director of Development for H.B. Nitkin, Peter Christian, an email asking for an update on Front Street:

Good afternoon, Mr. Christian.

As a resident in Hartford who lives within walking distance of the development going on at the Adriaen's Landing/Front Street construction site, I was wondering if there was any sort of news you could offer with regards to your company's construction progress and any plans for marketing to retailers, etc.

I understand if you cannot release information, but if there are any details you could possibly shed some light upon, it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to this project's completion!

Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

-=Rob

This is the response I got:

Thank you for the email and your interest in the Front Street District. We are currently deeply engaged in the design process with our design professionals Robert A.M. Stern Architects and Ismael Leyva Architects and have recently named Whiting-Turner Contracting Company as our construction manager. We intend to begin construction this fall.

We hope to include a mix of local and national restaurateurs and retailers in order to create a district with a vibrant mix that appeals to a broad spectrum of patrons.

Best regards.

-- Peter

Food for thought, anyone?

Edited by heyyyitsrob

I sent the Director of Development for H.B. Nitkin, Peter Christian, an email asking for an update on Front Street:

Good afternoon, Mr. Christian.

As a resident in Hartford who lives within walking distance of the development going on at the Adriaen's Landing/Front Street construction site, I was wondering if there was any sort of news you could offer with regards to your company's construction progress and any plans for marketing to retailers, etc.

I understand if you cannot release information, but if there are any details you could possibly shed some light upon, it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to this project's completion!

Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

-=Rob

This is the response I got:

Thank you for the email and your interest in the Front Street District. We are currently deeply engaged in the design process with our design professionals Robert A.M. Stern Architects and Ismael Leyva Architects and have recently named Whiting-Turner Contracting Company as our construction manager. We intend to begin construction this fall.

We hope to include a mix of local and national restaurateurs and retailers in order to create a district with a vibrant mix that appeals to a broad spectrum of patrons.

Best regards.

-- Peter

Food for thought, anyone?

It's a form letter that does not make any promises.

I understand the frustration that many of us, including myself, have over the delay of Front Street. But some of this latest information makes me extremely optimistic. Its pretty clear that Nitkin is looking to do a high quality job. When all is said and done, wouldn't we all be happier with a high quality project that took a long time, than with a cheaply done, poorly executed project, that came in on time (Sage Allen)?

I understand the frustration that many of us, including myself, have over the delay of Front Street. But some of this latest information makes me extremely optimistic. Its pretty clear that Nitkin is looking to do a high quality job. When all is said and done, wouldn't we all be happier with a high quality project that took a long time, than with a cheaply done, poorly executed project, that came in on time (Sage Allen)?

I agree. Do it right the first time. If the shops at Somerset Square (http://theshopsatsomersetsquare.com/) are any indication of the quality of construction HBN promises, combined with the portfolios on Stearn's and Ishmaeil Leyva's websites, it looks like the end result will be hailed much more as "long overdue" than "anti-climactic."

I also sent a similar note to Stearn's website. If I hear anything back, I'll post it. :thumbsup:

I agree with you all. I want to see this done right and am willing to wait until the time is right. Nitkin probably has an easier sell than his predecessor who did not even have the benefit of being able to show off a completed Convention Center and brand New Marriott. By the time Nitkin tries to really lure retail tenants, the Science Center will also be rising. I'm sure what we will end up with will be a high quality compliment to these other high quality attractions in the immediate area.

I agree. Do it right the first time. If the shops at Somerset Square (http://theshopsatsomersetsquare.com/) are any indication of the quality of construction HBN promises, combined with the portfolios on Stearn's and Ishmaeil Leyva's websites, it looks like the end result will be hailed much more as "long overdue" than "anti-climactic."

I also sent a similar note to Stearn's website. If I hear anything back, I'll post it. :thumbsup:

Nitkins properties don't really intrigue me, he didn't develop Somerset Square, merely purchased it (Although it is a Robert A. M. Stern design). I still hold out hope though...

I'm hopeful that construction will begin this fall. There's been way to many delays as it is, but like the others have said this project needs to be done right.

Edited by drc72

I'm hopeful that construction will begin this fall. There's been way to many delays as it is, but like the others have said this this project needs to be done right.
HEY WAIT! Did they said that is was post to be in the spring time?!? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Edited by penetcostal_iglesia_faith

• 2 weeks later...

Why on Earth wouldn't they continue the store fronts down to the parking garage entrance? Its a relatively easy way to improve the streetscape dramatically from the pedestrian level.

Those 2 big ugly metal garage doors are already there - I think they are for storage.

Are you sure this is a new rendering? The garage was built almost 2 years ago, so it could be an old rendering.

FrontStreet040207rgb.jpg

There are some similarities between this rendering, hopefully the finish is more like this one...

Is this most of that land on front street?

Anybody got the map of the front street and with that pic, dose those buildings took the hold land of front street or is that just part of that land??? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Nitgin would just build the damn thing and stop talking about it. Scale back the parking. Build small scale tastefully built buildings like the above shot are best. Why can't people focus on developing the existing downtown? We have NO RETAIL! Northland is busy rent gouging and driving out successful tenents like they think somehow downtown is 5th Avenue. They get state subsidies to screw peple over. Perez is busy running around promoting the drab Charter Oak Marketplace and other cheap sprawl-marts; meanwhile, downtown still dies after 6:00pm and has no retail. There are thousands of people downtown every single day yet with every suburban strip mall they throw up, the harder it will be to develope the downtown properly. To keep people in the city and attract new people, all the developement must be centered in the city limits, not on the outskirts; not in the suburbs. No property owner must hold property ransom like Northland does. They can make so much $$ if they would recall their greedy strategy and get real about thir properties value.