IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

I wish Nitgin would just build the damn thing and stop talking about it. Scale back the parking. Build small scale tastefully built buildings like the above shot are best. Why can't people focus on developing the existing downtown? We have NO RETAIL! Northland is busy rent gouging and driving out successful tenents like they think somehow downtown is 5th Avenue. They get state subsidies to screw peple over. Perez is busy running around promoting the drab Charter Oak Marketplace and other cheap sprawl-marts; meanwhile, downtown still dies after 6:00pm and has no retail. There are thousands of people downtown every single day yet with every suburban strip mall they throw up, the harder it will be to develope the downtown properly. To keep people in the city and attract new people, all the developement must be centered in the city limits, not on the outskirts; not in the suburbs. No property owner must hold property ransom like Northland does. They can make so much $$ if they would recall their greedy strategy and get real about thir properties value.

I actually pretty much agree. Northland does need to get real about the rents they are charging and try to encourage young energetic entreprenuers who are familiar with the city and have the passion to create special places to sign leases and get to work. Plenty of people would love to give it a shot if the rents were not so prohibitive. I'm pretty sure that Northland has scared off some potentially great tenents.

I actually pretty much agree. Northland does need to get real about the rents they are charging and try to encourage young energetic entreprenuers who are familiar with the city and have the passion to create special places to sign leases and get to work. Plenty of people would love to give it a shot if the rents were not so prohibitive. I'm pretty sure that Northland has scared off some potentially great tenents.

Those same people they are potentially scaring away are probably going to 55 on the Park, or Trumbull on the Park,places like that.

The renders for Sage Allen looked good, way better than the final product. This looks better than those to me.

I don't think those are based on any actual plans, it's just what the builder of the parking garage put in for show. I park there - are garages supposed to have free-running water cascading down the interior walls on the first floor of a 6-floor garage????

I don't think those are based on any actual plans, it's just what the builder of the parking garage put in for show. I park there - are garages supposed to have free-running water cascading down the interior walls on the first floor of a 6-floor garage????

What do you mean? Like a leaky pipe system or something?

According to HBJ Front St. will begin construction in October and be finished 18-21 months after that...

CCEDA: Front Street finished by 2009

Construction on the Front Street District is on track to begin around October of this year and will finish up within 18 to 21 months, an HB Nitkin Group director told the Capital City Economic Development Authority this morning. Peter Christian, director of development for HB Nitkin Group, updated the board on Front Street

Edited by robm324

Development's Price Jumps

May 12, 2007

By JEFFREY B. COHEN, Courant Staff Writer Cost estimates to build the Front Street District in Hartford have risen from $46.5 million to $60 million, but the project's developers say they'll need no additional public money for the long-awaited downtown retail and residential district to go forward.

At a Friday meeting of the Capital City Economic Development Authority, representatives of the HB Nitkin Group said that they had hired a construction manager, had completed some remediation work and expect to begin construction by October.

Courant Article

Development's Price Jumps

May 12, 2007

By JEFFREY B. COHEN, Courant Staff Writer Cost estimates to build the Front Street District in Hartford have risen from $46.5 million to $60 million, but the project's developers say they'll need no additional public money for the long-awaited downtown retail and residential district to go forward.

At a Friday meeting of the Capital City Economic Development Authority, representatives of the HB Nitkin Group said that they had hired a construction manager, had completed some remediation work and expect to begin construction by October.

Courant Article

They wouldn't have to pay so much if it was done last year in stead of starting later this year....

They all want free money. Like the many cheap gold-plated opportunistic slumlords that have sprouted up recently; Matos, Kenney and Gottesdiener. -_- Meanwhile, where's our retail? Ask King Eddie; who spearheaded that awful Charter Oak Marketplace drawing even more

potential retail resources out of the downtown landscape. Or Mr. Matos who believes that his precious Cabela's strip mall is "within walking distance" of the downtown. :angry: Rowland's failed Hartford urban revitalization policy has done nothing but attract many bottom feeders to an urban

real-estate utopia that in reality never existed. To make for themselves with as little personal committment or sacrifice as possible their own little egotistical side show. State policy-makers have done nothing to change the overall municipal system in this state that has systematically destroyed Connecticut cities and towns one by one. Thats the real issue nobody has the courage to address. A regional planning failure that will continue to haunt this state for decades as more and more smart urban-minded folks leave!

They all want free money. Like the many cheap gold-plated opportunistic slumlords that have sprouted up recently; Matos, Kenney and Gottesdiener. -_- Meanwhile, where's our retail? Ask King Eddie; who spearheaded that awful Charter Oak Marketplace drawing even more

potential retail resources out of the downtown landscape. Or Mr. Matos who believes that his precious Cabela's strip mall is "within walking distance" of the downtown. :angry: Rowland's failed Hartford urban revitalization policy has done nothing but attract many bottom feeders to an urban

real-estate utopia that in reality never existed. To make for themselves with as little personal committment or sacrifice as possible their own little egotistical side show. State policy-makers have done nothing to change the overall municipal system in this state that has systematically destroyed Connecticut cities and towns one by one. Thats the real issue nobody has the courage to address. A regional planning failure that will continue to haunt this state for decades as more and more smart urban-minded folks leave!

Just so you know, Larry G bought Metro Center before Rowland and his 6 pillars were around...

Gottesdiener is NO slumlord. He's part of what gives "hart"ford it's pulse. Many people expected retail results from his Hartford 21 as soon as it opened, but personally I don't mind because I rather have him take the extra time to make sure it's done right the FIRST time instead of rushing something together to please the masses....just to see it potentially fail.

Hartford is the one of many cities using seed money. It is a common practice. In fact, mid-tier cities like Hartford need to use seed money to compete. It's one of the smarter things the city has done.

It's a bad practice. Northland bought the Metrocenter in 1997; i know that. I am familiar with Northland's portfolio. People should see how Northland treats it's tenants and their properties. Maybe if some of you got out of your SUVs for a second and not just looking at the skyline from the interstate; people would know better.

:dontknow:

It's a bad practice. Northland bought the Metrocenter in 1997; i know that. I am familiar with Northland's portfolio. People should see how Northland treats it's tenants and their properties. Maybe if some of you got out of your SUVs for a second and not just looking at the skyline from the interstate; people would know better.

well, you are the guy saying that smart people in hartford have no choice but to leave as the urban revatilization started by rowland has failed. i hope your future posts will not be dedicated to trying to prove this. why bother? only time will tell. things change.

Please post about something you know about, your lack of knowledge about this subject, and us, is making you look foolish....

Sorry dude but Northland gets things done and done right..... Actions speak louder than words!

Edited by drc72

• 4 weeks later...