IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

There has to be high end retail IMO. The Hartford area is lacking high end retail, and the area has one of the highest per-capita incomes in the country. Put some stores in that you can't find in Connecticut and people will be forced to visit Hartford. Putting a Bobs store or a TJ Max isn't going to acomplish anything.

Having a few high end chain restaurants would also be nice. I know people on this board hate chains, but they are needed to draw most people. Capital Grill anyone? Legal seafood? How about a book store in front street? We all want it @ H21 but front street would probably work just as well or better.

ESPN needs to add a venue, and I think they should add a true ESPNzone not a smaller place like first thought. ESPN calls Connecticut home and there needs to be some sort of connection with downtown. Imagine them putting a ESPn zone with a studio for smaller shows! Wow, that would be amazing.

Maybe they could shoot Cold Pizza there

• 3 weeks later...

They all want free money. Like the many cheap gold-plated opportunistic slumlords that have sprouted up recently; Matos, Kenney and Gottesdiener. -_- Meanwhile, where's our retail? Ask King Eddie; who spearheaded that awful Charter Oak Marketplace drawing even more

potential retail resources out of the downtown landscape. Or Mr. Matos who believes that his precious Cabela's strip mall is "within walking distance" of the downtown. :angry: Rowland's failed Hartford urban revitalization policy has done nothing but attract many bottom feeders to an urban

real-estate utopia that in reality never existed. To make for themselves with as little personal committment or sacrifice as possible their own little egotistical side show. State policy-makers have done nothing to change the overall municipal system in this state that has systematically destroyed Connecticut cities and towns one by one. Thats the real issue nobody has the courage to address. A regional planning failure that will continue to haunt this state for decades as more and more smart urban-minded folks leave!

I love Hartford to pieces and I think you've got a very valid point, though I'd hardly call Gottesdiener a slum lord. All of the state money pouring into the Beat should've been used to reform property taxes and shift the burden of revenue-making from the towns and cities to the states. That's the only reform that will have a truly long term impact on Hartford's success. That said, I think this seed effort might be what it takes to catalyst people investing in and caring about the city again, which might spur the political will necessary for true reform. It's a tough call.

Rowland remade this city and deserves to take a bow. You may not like the guy. But there is no denying his touch will be felt in Hartford for decades.

The convention center, the science center, Hartford 21, Rentschler Field in East Hartford, have (or will in the case of Front Street) make a huge positive impact in the city.

But it's always great to see an unrelentingly negative person mindlessly slamming everything. It's entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw on 'Face The State' that some sorority or fraternity (Tappa Nother Kegga or somthing) having a convention this week is going to meet Nitkin at Front Street and that the plans will be finally unveiled - anyone have any further details???

Delta Kappa Theta, a historically black sorority are having their convention here this month. I have some friends involved, I'll have to ask about that. That sounds pretty cool though, if true.

Just got back from the shindig on Front Street - PLANS HAVE BEEN RELEASED!!!!

(Can I attach a file or photos? I don't know how)

- To be built in two phases - Phase 1 (the two sections closest to the Convention Center) beginning this fall, complete in Fall 2009, Phase 2 (the section attached to the Hartford Times building, and the temporary parking lot for the Wadsworth (completion date ???, filled with ???)

- Phase 1 - To the south of Front St. is "Block A" - 33,000 square feet of retail, to the north is "Block B" - 22,000 square feet

- 300 Residential units

- Another parking garage across the street from the Arch St. Tavern

-->> NO WORD yet on specific retailers or entertainment

I'm sure the drawings will be in the Courant or on TV soon - looks pretty nice.

Just got back from the shindig on Front Street - PLANS HAVE BEEN RELEASED!!!!

(Can I attach a file or photos? I don't know how)

- To be built in two phases - Phase 1 (the two sections closest to the Convention Center) beginning this fall, complete in Fall 2009, Phase 2 (the section attached to the Hartford Times building, and the temporary parking lot for the Wadsworth (completion date ???, filled with ???)

- Phase 1 - To the south of Front St. is "Block A" - 33,000 square feet of retail, to the north is "Block B" - 22,000 square feet

- 300 Residential units

- Another parking garage across the street from the Arch St. Tavern

-->> NO WORD yet on specific retailers or entertainment

I'm sure the drawings will be in the Courant or on TV soon - looks pretty nice.

Try replying and quoting one of the "Hartford Photos" posts to see how photos were added. I think they were just copied and pasted.

Edit: Upon trying it myself (copying a picture out of Corel Photo Album and pasting it here) it seems I have no idea what I'm talking about :) . Glad to hear the plans are nice though; hopefully they look better than this: http://www.fusco.com/past/images/1stAdrianensLanding2006.jpg. I wasn't a fan of that design.

Edited by Chessplayer

You can upload photos to imageshack.us without registering and just copy the links into a post here. Or sign up for an account at a number of photo sharing sites (webshots, pickle, photobucket, etc. etc. etc.).

Edited by mikel

Try replying and quoting one of the "Hartford Photos" posts to see how photos were added. I think they were just copied and pasted.

Edit: Upon trying it myself (copying a picture out of Corel Photo Album and pasting it here) it seems I have no idea what I'm talking about :) . Glad to hear the plans are nice though; hopefully they look better than this: http://www.fusco.com/past/images/1stAdrianensLanding2006.jpg. I wasn't a fan of that design.

Yeah that is a boring looking design....

The old two phase story Hartford is famous for. We are still waiting for Phase ll of Metro Center, Constitution Plaza, The Convention Center, The Downtown Marriot etc...

I don't get a good feeling about this. Especially with no time table for the second phase.

Not sure if these have been posted before, but I do not recall seeing them. If it has been sorry to get hopes up.

http://www.cceda.state.ct.us/adriaen/retai...rings_index.htm

I wasn't aware that they still updated their webpage...you'll notice the construction updates are from '03.

I haven't seen them before on the CCEDA website, so perhaps these are the actual plans. They certainly do look quite attractive but mention nothing about phase 1 and phase 2, so it may be that these are old renderings and I simply missed them on previous perusing.

I was downtown today at a meeting and I had a good view of the Front Street area. Here is my concern. The area, as we know, is not very big. I think with the ESPN thing, some quality residential and retail and good planning, it will be a nice little district. But, it really needs to be connected to the current business district (Main Street) somehow. I can't see how that's possible with the Library/City Hall/Courthouse in the way. We want people to make the connection between the Front Street/Convention Center District and the rest of Downtown. On the other side, the Phoenix and Travelers cut Front Street off from the business district. Any ideas on if and how this can be done? Just seeing the actual physical setup of the area today made me skeptical...

Edited by GHartford

I was downtown today at a meeting and I had a good view of the Front Street area. Here is my concern. The area, as we know, is not very big. I think with the ESPN thing, some quality residential and retail and good planning, it will be a nice little district. But, it really needs to be connected to the current business district (Main Street) somehow. I can't see how that's possible with the Library/City Hall/Courthouse in the way. We want people to make the connection between the Front Street/Convention Center District and the rest of Downtown. On the other side, the Phoenix and Travelers cut Front Street off from the business district. Any ideas on if and how this can be done? Just seeing the actual physical setup of the area today made me skeptical...

Outline of the project as of July 1. I think its the same info that has been going around, but at least its from a current article.

http://retailtrafficmag.com/marketprofile/...wn_renaissance/

• 2 weeks later...

Promises, Promises

Greenwich developer Bradley Nitkin is the third developer to take a crack at Front Street. This time, the city says it will really happen.

Article from the Hartford Advocate

A month and a half til' October, let's see if it really happens...

This better be Good! <_<

Promises, Promises

Greenwich developer Bradley Nitkin is the third developer to take a crack at Front Street. This time, the city says it will really happen.

Article from the Hartford Advocate

A month and a half til' October, let's see if it really happens...

I'll believe it when I see it.... For now I remain skeptical.