IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

how can you comment on the quality when there hasn't been anything built yet? looking at how there is a lot of retail in the suburbs, i see front street having difficulty attracting anybody. If people were lining up to come to hartford, there would be tenants in the H21 retail space. nobody from west hartford is going to drive into hartford on a saturday to shop the 4 stores that will probably be open at front street when they can go to westfarms or bbs.

If they are unique and interesting retailers people will come. The biggest draw will be ESPN. Hopefully the developer can get some non food retailers to pepper around ESPN. Maybe the developer, Hartford and the state can provide some kind of rent subsidy for targeted retailers? That is what Yale did to lure qualify retailers into New Haven.

If they are unique and interesting retailers people will come. The biggest draw will be ESPN. Hopefully the developer can get some non food retailers to pepper around ESPN. Maybe the developer, Hartford and the state can provide some kind of rent subsidy for targeted retailers? That is what Yale did to lure qualify retailers into New Haven.

Subsidies sound like a good idea to me. The city should be prepared to do whatever it takes to get quality tenents on board. I think ESPN will help convince some others, especially once construction actually begins and this project becomes tangible. It's just been so long that many are understandably skeptical that it will actually happen. I don't see how it can be argued that this project missed it's time though when the CCC has been opened barely 2 years and the CSC is still under construction. It will be harder to get financing, the project did miss getting started in a better economy which does suck. However, it's still heavily subsidized enough to happen and still has enough merit to be successful.

The biggest draw will be ESPN. Hopefully the developer can get some non food retailers to pepper around ESPN.

Lets see if ESPN in fact does have a location there. I wouldn't be surprises if they end up not putting one there. If they do indeed put something at Front street, I hope it isn't a scaled down ESPN Zone. ESPN should have a flagship location in Hartford with maybe a studio since Connecticut is their home.

Colin is an idiot. Both those markets are on water front property and one of their main selling points is seafood.

Hartford had a great farmers market that was closed for no reason. The farmers market should have returned as soon as the building fell through.

Edited by beerbeer

Lets see if ESPN in fact does have a location there. I wouldn't be surprises if they end up not putting one there. If they do indeed put something at Front street, I hope it isn't a scaled down ESPN Zone. ESPN should have a flagship location in Hartford with maybe a studio since Connecticut is their home.

After spending millions on a new complex in Bristol, I doubt they'll open a new studio downtown. Anyways the current project doesn't seem all that bad. I will agree Front Street missed it's opportunity to become really great. Oh well we'll have take what we can get now.

After spending millions on a new complex in Bristol, I doubt they'll open a new studio downtown. Anyways the current project doesn't seem all that bad. I will agree Front Street missed it's opportunity to become really great. Oh well we'll have take what we can get now.

It doesn't have to be a big studio or anything, just a small one for maybe some of the smaller shows or ESPN radio.

Colin is an idiot. Both those markets are on water front property and one of their main selling points is seafood.

Hartford had a great farmers market that was closed for no reason. The farmers market should have returned as soon as the building fell through.

He did not say Hartford should have a seafood market. He said Hartford should have a local products market.

Trying to get ESPN would be a hopeless cause.

What should be done is... if you can find out someone who wants to start a new television network ... draw them to the site instead. So that way, this network can be directly associated from the beginning as Hartford.

I don't think we are talking about bringing ESPN into Hartford, but ESPN Zone the sport bar.

http://espnzone.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone find it a bit odd/troubling that if you logon to HB Nitkin's website (hbnitkin.com) and go to either "portfolio" or "space available" there is nothing mentioned of Front Street? WTF?

I know - shouldn't he be marketing the place like crazy? What's with all these supersecret back room negotiations for clients?

Also nothing on the lamea*s CCEDA website - this message has been up for 6 months:

"Look for a new and improved CCEDA website coming soon." (It used to say ..."this fall")

He did not say Hartford should have a seafood market. He said Hartford should have a local products market.

Was in DC just before the new year and went to the Eastern Market (capitol hill neighborhood area). The building was badly damaged by fire and is being reconstructed. Merchants are selling outdoor or in a temp building. Even with pretty steady rain, the place was hopping. My wife and I both thought Hartford could use something like that.

http://www.easternmarket.net/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Front Street Takes A Housing Cut article from the Courant. I though this was some kind of a joke... Can Larry G take over, at least we would have nice empty buildings...

Agreed. I would actually be okay with scrapping the residential, for now, if they vastly increased the retail/office component. With that said, I cannot imagine how retail in that area can be succesful without a large residential component. Large swaths of retail in Hartford without increased residential will only further the 9-5 image of the city. Granted, I think if you are only going to build 115 apartments you really might as well just not build any. That is such a joke compared to the two residential towers originally planned for this area. I am slightly shocked that Larry G or the Wolman's never took this area over ... I am starting to fear that Nitkin is going to build a strip mall. This type of development looks like something that Larry G would just be drooling over the chance to take a stab at as if it was succesful it would like increase the value of his other properties in town, much like his arena plan.