IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

Noticed some activity in the northeast quadrant of the site today (equipment coming in, fence coming down) - did I miss some announcement? Has anyone see a site plan? IT BETTER NOT BE ANOTHER SURFACE PARKING LOT!

Hopefully not.

I'm getting closer and closer to pitching a tent outside 50 Columbus and demanding answers in some sort of protest. The CCEDA seems to have no authority over anything - they haven't even updated their website for over a year!

They are constructing some sort of covered walkway from Travelers to Front Street. That's what I'm being told by friends over at Travelers.

As I posted in Hartford Photos:

Actually, the walkway is being constructed on the existing plaza itself, right next to the St. Paul Travelers Plaza building (you know, the ugly boxy one). It looks like it is supposed to connect the rest of Constitution Plaza with the stairway down to Front Street.

Are you saying they are going to extend this walkway down to ground level, and then over to the Convention Center? That would look bizarre.

I am getting very concerned about Front Street - I know SOMETHING will go there eventually, but this delay is disconcerting. I believe that first-time convention-goers would be way more likely to return next year if something was built there....

IMHO, someone has got to step in and really push the regional planning thing and give it some teeth. As long as metro Hartford cities are competing for slices from the same pie projects like this are going to have a hard time coming to fruition. I get the impress, with Gov. Rell's transportation proposals ( :thumbsup: ) that the State is beginning to recognize that it can't continue to "subsidize" (my opinion) exclusively road-oriented, automobile-dependent suburban sprawl much longer. Thoughts?

I just get a continuous bad feeling about this whole project.....It seems like there is no urgency on the part of Nitkin....granted you need to be smart about how you do a complex project like this, but every day there is no development in that spot is money lost...

I just get a continuous bad feeling about this whole project.....It seems like there is no urgency on the part of Nitkin....granted you need to be smart about how you do a complex project like this, but every day there is no development in that spot is money lost...

I just don't get it with all the positives for this site, the convention center and hotel doing great, a beautiful science center in the works, 50 million in state and city aid and they can't put a few restaurants and condos in place.... I guess that's why I'm not a developer but still...

Edited by redbaron

Both sides are trying to eliminate downside risk. I agree with Perez in this instance. If the developer wants all the money upfront than he should commit to the entire project. If the developer wants to build in two phases. The state and city support should be doled out in two phases.

They still have another 45 days or so to sort this out. Nitkin has acted above board in every way. If he stays involved it wiill be a well done project. If he backs out, there is something fishy with CCEDA.

CCEDA threw out the first developer because he wanted to build too many housing units. That project wold have been done by now. They let Cohen jerk them around forever. Every consession they made was greeted by a further request for another consession. Then, the RFP was mishandled.

Now, there is a guy in place that is going slow, dotting every i and crossing every t. I don't blame him.

So does anyone know what the hubbub is next to the Front St. garage? Looks like they're preparing the site in some way. There must be some prelim work they can start to do even if they don't have the final site plan done? Haul a*s, Nitkin & CCEDA!

I think it's the covered walkway from Travelers.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Courant:

"Still no development deal between CCEDA and HB Nitkin Group... just a memo of understanding that commits CCEDA to giving a ton of money in assistance if Nitkin can nail down a package of subsidies from the city. Number of rental units to be built varies from 60 to 200 depending on whom you talk to and on what day."

Doesn't sound encouraging.

Is there anyone out there that can put together a legit plan and actually do it in less than 2 years....WHY THE FCUK IS THIS TAKING SO DAMN LONG!!!! IT'S NOT BRAIN SURGERY!!!! :dontknow::angry: We should have had Gottesdiener on this a LONG ass time ago. It would be done by now if we had, but Hartford officials are dumbasses.... :angry:

Nitkin is probably having a hard time lining up tenants. Take a look at Bluback Square, they have already signed major retailers. If Nitkin can get enough retailers to commit, I bet he would start construction too.

http://www.bluebacksquare.com/images/11X17...ng_Brochure.pdf

I'm sure it's not the easiest sell in the world. Maybe a higher profile developer would have made it more palatable. Or maybe we just need to let Downtown improve a little with what's already in progress. I'm sure after conditions on the street improve so will the ease of luring retailers to Front Street. Honestly, if they can do it better in a year, I guess I'm willing to wait.

Yeah, I just don't get what's so hard about this one. Get somebody in here that can get it done. Northland, Magic Johnson, anyone I don't care. Let's just get this thing built already. Jeez!!

I agree, Northland should of been on this from the beginning.