IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

That was an inappropriate site for a stadium. I do like the site of that hotel on Prospect Street.

I don't know why we haven't heard anything about a hotel at AL since this original proposal. It seems like a natural with the Convention Center a block away and the weekday business needs of downtown. A hip boutique hotel with a restaurant and lounge at the ground floor seems like a natural. With the Atheneum pulling out, the facade of the Hartford Times building would be stunning as an entrance to a hotel.

I am wondering if the Marriott being built in some way has a clause making it the only hotel allowed in the Adriaen's landing development.

It would not suprise me if this was the case. I also agree that the Hartford Times building would be a nice entrance for a boutique hotel.

That being said I would be more supportive of the Mariott expanding as mentioned than a boutique hotel in front street. I think I would rather Goodwin have a few more years dominating that market as downtown comes more to life.

Heard some scuttlebut on Front Street

1. Work on the site is being done now.

2. Final design will be unveiled in about a month.

3. Tenants will be more entertainment than retail, although at least one upscale national chain is already on board.

4. Retailer is looking at buying WFSB's Broadcast House. Not sure which retailer.

5. Talk that Front Street phase two will include a high rise on Prospect.

6. There is a top secret plan to bury I-91 from the Colt building to the flyover. May be proposed early next year.

Scuttlebutt?

I am wondering how you get scuttlebut like that :)

anyhoo all but the retailer moving into chanel 3 is good news for me.

ok well thats good news too, but it would be a shame if that location were taken off the market. it seems that the broadcast house and the hotel together might actually happen under perez based on the things he has said. I suppose its just not in the cards at this time and it will have to fait a few years. and it might as well be retail during that time.

3. Tenants will be more entertainment than retail, although at least one upscale national chain is already on board.

4. Retailer is looking at buying WFSB's Broadcast House. Not sure which retailer.

6. There is a top secret plan to bury I-91 from the Colt building to the flyover. May be proposed early next year.

Can you please tell us where the hell you hear this? If this is true it is fantastic, simply fantastic. Burying the highway; geez I was 10 and I daydreamed about that. Final designs? Actual retailers on board with this project?? WFSB house being reused??? Already???? Another highrise!?!?!? I might have to resort to emoticons to express my excitement. Please tell us where or from whom you're getting this information so I can give a little perspective to this news.

Oh man!!! That would be awesome!

Brooks Brothers? Wow, big freakin deal

I've heard this song and dance before, front street/adriens landing plans to be unveiled! believing that front street will be sucessful, or even get of the ground, is akin to a kid thinking his dad really is comming home after leaving for a pack of ciggarettes 6 months ago. brooks brothers will not draw people downtown. maybe they will get shoppers durring lunch, but thats about it.

While I love the idea in dream world, I don't see feasibly how I-91 could be buried from the Colt Building past downtown. ConnDOT would have to sink the road beneath the Park River conduit and make significant modifications to the recently reconstructed Whitehead Highway interchange. Such a project would cost billions of dollars and I don't think anyone would be willing to pony up such a sum.

With that said, I think it is very plausible to extend the convention center plaza over I-91 between the Whitehead Highway and Founders Bridge. It might also be plausible to build something on top of the northbound lanes between the Founders and Bulkley Bridge.

If any expressway needs to be buried in Hartford, it's I-84. Replacing the aging Aetna viaduct gives ConnDOT some leverage in securing greater amounts of Federal transportation dollars for replacing the viaduct with a sunken expressway or tunnel.

While burying 84 would give Hartford much more land to play with, burying 91 would likely be much easier and cheaper. Also, as the news clip stated, if Colt Park gets National Park status, this opens a whole world of federal funding. and While our national parks may not be cash rich, the DOT can assist NP by helping the area out and giving it riverfront status again.

Also the city recently approved a 10 billion 10 year bond that will completely re-do the cities sewar system, and stormwater run off. I have NO DOUBT that this project will affect the old Hog River as most of this water ends up flowing out of that viaduct. If This happens the city would just need to be sure the hog river part of the project were done closer to year 8,9 or 10 and I am sure the plans they have now could be slightly modified at little cost as they are completely re building these tunnels as is.

A project like this might be an ideal time to remove the whitehead all together as it would no longer be linked to a highway. It would be part of the local roads built along the river. This part would likely fall on the city more than the state and certainly not the feds.

If the city state and Feds all got together on a project like this I would be thrilled. I would love to see something done right here downtown.

We COULD and I will repeat, COULD end up with a National Park downtown. A Burried 91 leading to a larger and more usefull Riverside Park. An exposed Park River. The Colt condos would get their funding and be built out. The Whitehead could be turned into surface streets that link up with the riverfront Blvd and funnel people onto the highways. The entire Eastern part of the city would get a boost from this. People would also see the advantages of doing something about 84. Parcels of land along the river and along the whithead would be built on as they are uncovered, and as the highway view is replaced by a river view.

While burying 84 would give Hartford much more land to play with, burying 91 would likely be much easier and cheaper. Also, as the news clip stated, if Colt Park gets National Park status, this opens a whole world of federal funding. and While our national parks may not be cash rich, the DOT can assist NP by helping the area out and giving it riverfront status again.

Also the city recently approved a 10 billion 10 year bond that will completely re-do the cities sewar system, and stormwater run off. I have NO DOUBT that this project will affect the old Hog River as most of this water ends up flowing out of that viaduct. If This happens the city would just need to be sure the hog river part of the project were done closer to year 8,9 or 10 and I am sure the plans they have now could be slightly modified at little cost as they are completely re building these tunnels as is.

A project like this might be an ideal time to remove the whitehead all together as it would no longer be linked to a highway. It would be part of the local roads built along the river. This part would likely fall on the city more than the state and certainly not the feds.

If the city state and Feds all got together on a project like this I would be thrilled. I would love to see something done right here downtown.

We COULD and I will repeat, COULD end up with a National Park downtown. A Burried 91 leading to a larger and more usefull Riverside Park. An exposed Park River. The Colt condos would get their funding and be built out. The Whitehead could be turned into surface streets that link up with the riverfront Blvd and funnel people onto the highways. The entire Eastern part of the city would get a boost from this. People would also see the advantages of doing something about 84. Parcels of land along the river and along the whithead would be built on as they are uncovered, and as the highway view is replaced by a river view.

A National Park designation for Colt makes no difference in terms of finding more Federal resources to bury I-91. NPS and USDOT funds are in separate silos.

A National Park designation for Colt makes no difference in terms of finding more Federal resources to bury I-91. NPS and USDOT funds are in separate silos.

Of course they are, but the same politicians have controll over both silos. If the congress people can get designation, they can get financial backing from whatever departments they need to in order to make the area what they want it to be. DOT is relatively rich, and every national park has a transportation element. what good is a park if there is no access or if access to the park takes away from its functionality or appearance. And just to re-state, the congressman that wants to bury the highway wants to do so ONLY if NP designation goes thru.

I'm not going to get excited yet. Buy I will throw in a mini Yay!

and noq to make my posting hold more merrit, I saw that Cigna bought some company today that MIGHT end up bringing more jobs to their CT operations.

Might have to swing by construction the site this week and see whats going on

Huzzah, Huzzah! I saw a bulldozer moving dirt! Has anything been announced?

I just stopped by Front Street, and I can report that there is a bulldozer and steam shovel on the site, as well as several other containers / trailers. More importantly, there were many pavement markings and surveyor stakes, which said things like "Corner of Building" and "Line of Street."

So it looks like Front Street is FINALLY happening! (Does this mean that hell has frozen over? LOL)

Edited by PennConn

While I love the idea in dream world, I don't see feasibly how I-91 could be buried from the Colt Building past downtown. ConnDOT would have to sink the road beneath the Park River conduit and make significant modifications to the recently reconstructed Whitehead Highway interchange. Such a project would cost billions of dollars and I don't think anyone would be willing to pony up such a sum.

With that said, I think it is very plausible to extend the convention center plaza over I-91 between the Whitehead Highway and Founders Bridge. It might also be plausible to build something on top of the northbound lanes between the Founders and Bulkley Bridge.

If any expressway needs to be buried in Hartford, it's I-84. Replacing the aging Aetna viaduct gives ConnDOT some leverage in securing greater amounts of Federal transportation dollars for replacing the viaduct with a sunken expressway or tunnel.

I agree Peddler,after 15 years of fund raising for Riverfront Recapture Larson wants to bury the one highway which has been modified and simply ignore 84 and the Aetna viaduct,what an #**$@&!