IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

ROFLMAO .... Looks like Nitkin hired the best ... Mike Mulligan And His Steam Shovel ...

Too funny!!! OK... so when is this really going to happen? Unbelievable how Blue Back Square in West Hartford went from a concept to a reality in a few years... We've been hearing about Adriaen's Landing for how long now?? The city needs this BAD!

Too funny!!! OK... so when is this really going to happen? Unbelievable how Blue Back Square in West Hartford went from a concept to a reality in a few years... We've been hearing about Adriaen's Landing for how long now?? The city needs this BAD!

In spite of today's Hartford Courant stating that Front Street construction will not start until Spring 2008, I noticed today that the amount of equipment on Front Street has increased - there are now TWO bulldozers, a dump truck (with a company name other than the evironoment services company that was already there), and TWO "steam shovels" (backhoes) - although one backhoe was over by itself by the Front Street garage. More dirt has been moved since Thursday, and more surveying work has been done. Hopefully we will have an ESPN sports bar by 2009! (Although maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me, after all Larry Cohen in the Courant is constantly bashing Hartford and it's "pretend downtown." So maybe this good news about Front Street is just an illusion. LOL)

adriens landing has been proposed for over 10 years. the fact the city couldn't get something done there for 10+ years is laughable and indicative of the attractiveness of the city itself. yea, something will get built there, give any empty lot enough time and something will get built. give h21 enough time and something will move into the vacant retail spots. they can't attract a grocer, so they are going to build there own and hire a management staff. looks like the state funded another real winner there....

adriens landing has been proposed for over 10 years. the fact the city couldn't get something done there for 10+ years is laughable and indicative of the attractiveness of the city itself. yea, something will get built there, give any empty lot enough time and something will get built. give h21 enough time and something will move into the vacant retail spots. they can't attract a grocer, so they are going to build there own and hire a management staff. looks like the state funded another real winner there....

Go look in a mirror. A negative defeatist attitude is what causes failure.

There is a build up. Something is getting done. Don't piss on a parade, instead support the potential improvements in the city we all live and work in as it may make a better life for yourself your family and your friends.

Go look in a mirror. A negative defeatist attitude is what causes failure.

There is a build up. Something is getting done. Don't piss on a parade, instead support the potential improvements in the city we all live and work in as it may make a better life for yourself your family and your friends.

Amen, Brother.

34271474.jpg

Courant Article

Front Street Design Phase Completed

By JEFFREY B. COHEN

The Hartford Courant

12:40 PM EST, December 14, 2007

Even though the site is obscured by construction fences and a shroud of snow, the future of Hartford's Front Street District came into view today as developers told the state that they have completed their design phase and brought pictures to prove it.

More than two years after the state picked the HB Nitkin Group to develop the residential and entertainment district that hopes to link the convention center with the rest of downtown, the developers presented their final designs to the state Friday.

Looks nice and classy. Now let's get it built.

The original vision of years ago has been pared down from 500,000 sq ft of retail and 500 apartments to 60,000 sq ft of retail and 115 apartments. No tenants yet, only renderings. Focus on tenants has shifted to restaurants and entertainment and away from shopping.

Here you go...

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews...0,4963771.story

Edited by Luca Brasi

The article doesn't say anything about "phase 1" and "phase 2." Dare we hope that abysmal plan has been dropped?

'Fraid not. The plan only fills in 1/2 of the total site (the eastern half closest to the CCC):

"the $60 million project will look like this: ground floor retail that begins on Columbus Boulevard and wraps around to a central, one-way street that bisects the site. Above the 65,000 square feet of what the architects call high-ceilinged, "large, glassy shop fronts" will be a total of 115 studios, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments at roughly 550, 750, and 1,200 square feet, respectively. Behind them will be internal courtyards."

I like this blurb though - once people move in maybe the western half can be more shopping (and/or hotel?) focused:

"But the retailers will indeed be restaurant and entertainment focused, with little emphasis on shopping, Nitkin said. If there are non-restaurant retailers, they would likely be a bookstore or a high-end clothier -- the types of stores that cater to a business environment. And Nitkin said she's looking for a local mix. "To just have national tenants would make it very dull," she said. "I think it's very important that we have local or regional restaurants and tenants there."

If we get a Brooks Brothers as previously rumored, and a book store to go with an entertainment district I would be Thrilled. I would hope...let me re try that HOPE!!! that the remainderr of the land was used to a higher density. A residential tower on main street would be great, a hotel would be great, and a movie theater would be ideal in a development like this.

I am not going to get my hopes up too much, but if something is built and I like the asthetics of what they drew, then I count this a positive.

and a small thought

2010 completion? its not that big of a project, what the hell?

You guys are amazing. This seems to be a very nice project, appropriate and high quality. Its success will have nothing to do with Blue Back or anything else. It will rise or fall on its own merit.

I could give guys a free car and you would complain about the price of gas. Sheesh.

how can you comment on the quality when there hasn't been anything built yet? looking at how there is a lot of retail in the suburbs, i see front street having difficulty attracting anybody. If people were lining up to come to hartford, there would be tenants in the H21 retail space. nobody from west hartford is going to drive into hartford on a saturday to shop the 4 stores that will probably be open at front street when they can go to westfarms or bbs.