IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

I read that and it almost sounded like everyone is happy there is no residential in the first phase. I'm the opposite, I'm extremely disappointed there is no residential. That is the key to rebuilding the city, not more entertainment....

I read that and it almost sounded like everyone is happy there is no residential in the first phase. I'm the opposite, I'm extremely disappointed there is no residential. That is the key to rebuilding the city, not more entertainment....

Yeah, I would think that the mentioned resturants and entertainment venues would do better with a residential component. Bringing store frontages to downtown is not going to bring retail. Bringing customers downtown will. I suppose it is just our lot in life to watch as things happen that make little sense. I for one will be forced to balance this useless waste of space against the positive moves made recently around the city. I can not expect everything to be a positive.

I for one would be concerned about the scale of the buildings. That site needs buildings that are at least thre stories high. If the first floor is retail then what would the second and third floors be. I doubt there is much market for office space so the banks won't finance that. I really think there is a strong need for one bedroom rentals downtown and this would be a great place for it. Jay

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I tried to do what Bill does, but without his vision or skills or I am sure his patience, because I have been terribly distracted while trying to do this.

FrontStreet.jpg

So this is my Front Street. I will be playing Powerball any time it is high enough to do my dreams any good in order to finance this plan. Do you think Northland does it the same way?

I made this with the Hog River un buried. I put parks along the river with the exception of the Arch street tavern since it deserves some respect and would be great there at the center of it all with loads of outside seating.

I chopped mirrors of the Linden and pasted it all over. I could just as well done the same with the Sage Allen building. But really for the most part I would do my best to get the low rise sub urban crap out of this part of Hartford. 5-9 stories all over with ground floor retail on almost all of it. I put a few garages in there for the residents and maybe shopers or whatever and extended Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko Ct. to make things flow a little better.

I also cloned H-21 for the Times Building tower and put LV on the park next to it. What I drew at Front Street is not exactly how I would do the mid rise stuff, but its a start.

Enjoy, or do not.

OK, so I tried to do what Bill does, but without his vision or skills or I am sure his patience, because I have been terribly distracted while trying to do this.

FrontStreet.jpg

So this is my Front Street. I will be playing Powerball any time it is high enough to do my dreams any good in order to finance this plan. Do you think Northland does it the same way?

I made this with the Hog River un buried. I put parks along the river with the exception of the Arch street tavern since it deserves some respect and would be great there at the center of it all with loads of outside seating.

I chopped mirrors of the Linden and pasted it all over. I could just as well done the same with the Sage Allen building. But really for the most part I would do my best to get the low rise sub urban crap out of this part of Hartford. 5-9 stories all over with ground floor retail on almost all of it. I put a few garages in there for the residents and maybe shopers or whatever and extended Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko Ct. to make things flow a little better.

I also cloned H-21 for the Times Building tower and put LV on the park next to it. What I drew at Front Street is not exactly how I would do the mid rise stuff, but its a start.

Enjoy, or do not.

Good vision, but....

$4 Billion - it's going to take a little more than a powerball jackpot to make that happen.

I'm always of the opinion that parks are a waste of urban rivers. They should be developed with cafes, restaurants, retail, hotels, and residences, all intimately scaled yet thoroughly urban.

The most "park" a river should have is a wide sidewalk alongside it, connecting all the attractions with each other and the water.

• 1 month later...

This is that previously approved money, but it makes sense that the developer would wait to have the money in hand to start the planned work. this pays for over half of the planned parking garage, and puts 1.5 M towards the retail development. I am not sure what will hapen with the 7 Mill for the residential component.

I hate the project!

why didnt we get the twin condos?

:(

• 2 weeks later...

OK, tell me why again that they are not the lead player for Front St.??? They know something - that site must be toxic (maybe figuratively AND literally)

Developers Northland, Archstone Have Plans For New Haven Site

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-coliseu...0,5997254.story

I forgot which article it was exactly, but Larry G said something to the effect that he believes the state will eventually go to them to take over the Front Street project.

OK, tell me why again that they are not the lead player for Front St.??? They know something - that site must be toxic (maybe figuratively AND literally)

From what I have read, and I think it is quoted in this thread, he wants front street. actuallyI think he stated that eventually he will be asked to do it. (implying that everyone else will fail and he is the man for the job)

I hope this is how it ends up quite honestly.

From what I have read, and I think it is quoted in this thread, he wants front street. actuallyI think he stated that eventually he will be asked to do it. (implying that everyone else will fail and he is the man for the job)

I hope this is how it ends up quite honestly.

Me too.

Me too.

Is Larry G the only developer in Hartford?? Is there no one else that can come in and develop a successful project?? I'm not hating on Larry, he's done good, I just find it hard to believe how terrible these other developers are. Now is it the state/city's fault for choosing these developers or the developers' fault for not coming through?

Is Larry G the only developer in Hartford?? Is there no one else that can come in and develop a successful project?? I'm not hating on Larry, he's done good, I just find it hard to believe how terrible these other developers are. Now is it the state/city's fault for choosing these developers or the developers' fault for not coming through?

The state surely deserves some of the blame, but regarding developers...

Nyberg and Kenny have done a lot of good work in Hartford. Kenny has a great vision for 101 Pearl in my opinion that was skipped for whatever reason. His proposal focused on a higher number of smaller units. Something he has a waiting list for at Trumbull on the park and something the city surely needs. Kenny once had control of 111 Pearl, and could not deliver the hotel he had planned, so he is not without his failures. but whatever.

The project planned right now is not all bad, but I question the demand for more luxury apartments, and in a small building like 101 Pearl. Sheldon Charter oak are the developers.

Levine and Schonberger did Sage Allen, and are now apparently interested in the Capewell Nail factory property.

Waterford group is a great firm, but they just do hotels, so I would not count on them getting involved in anything else in hartford for a bit.

The problem is that as far as major projects, it seems as though Hartford does not have a developer capable. so Northland, the only active outside developer is the only one with the apparent means and vision.

If Front street was a much smaller project I could see some smaller developers making it happen, but for truely large developments, Northland is just about it. and for some reason the city has given the project to a long list of losers, and the one that was not a loser, the city tried to handcuff the development and make it smaller.

Front Street is as much the fault of the State as it is the developers. But other projects, it seems as though the city is too quick to hand over land to someone without the financial means as Northland. The project eventually is widdled down and then eventually scrapped

I wonder if the city has tried to spread the wealth to the smaller developers like Sheldon Charter oak as a way to maybe strengthen them in hopes they will be able to bring non subsidized projects to the city. or maybe it is just graft

If I'm not mistaken, Nitkin has missed his deadline. He has also reduced the scope of the project and broken it into "Phase I" and "Phase II." The city can take this project away from him for breach of contract, and give it to Northland under the conditions that Northland develop it at its original size and all at once. I agreed two years ago that it wouldn't be a good thing if Northland controlled too much of downtown development but now I feel like they are the only ones interested who can get this done.

It is a joke how long this development has been kicked around considering how much the state has contributed.

Edited by Luca Brasi

Too bad they tore down most of the Hartford Times building. At this point, they just reforest that area.

Anyone have pictures of the Hartford Times building and everything else there before demolition began??

The part still standing is (most of) the original building - the back part was added on later. Anyone remember that bar (Dagny's?) in the back, with the deck?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would post a link to a letter to the editor I saw in the Hartford Courant.

Get Creative On Front Street

Not a bad letter.

It is funny, when the arena study first came out I fully agreed with it. I think the current location is exceptional, but its current design hurts the area, while a more street friendly design that reconnects Pratt, and Allyn would be an incredible boost to the area. A pro sport would mnake all the difference as well of course.

now that Front street is a joke, a complete joke, I see this idea in a little better light.

I looked at the arena study again

http://www.hartford.gov/Feasibility_Study.pdf

pg 41-44 are the key pages here.

while the front street is much weaker than the current location, I have to say that it all depends on what is donw with the current arena site.

If a new arena were built at front street with a decent retail/entertainment component, I could see this as a better option that front street as envisioned now. in fact the only front street plan I think might be better than this, would be the one with the twin residential towers, and higher density than planned.

MeetingHouseSquareOriginalConcept.jpg

The key thing about the writers comment is Northland actually buying the current arena site, and what would be built on it.

Would Allyn and Church street both stay active? Would the developments on this land include the other undeveloped lots in the area or lead to their development? just how much could be done with this area without the arena as an anchor?

Would people come to that area without an arena to bring them?

On the front street site, I 100% think this would help convention business. One of the biggest problems with Hartford as a location is the seperation between the arena and the Convention center. The Arena would act as additional floor space, and the city could better host larger conventions, and even host 2 large conventions concurrently with the additional flexible space.

I am just not sure if it is best to put yet another major draw on the edge of downtown, because without proper development of the space left behind there becomes less and less reasons to be in the CBD. meaning with the areana down there, will people take the highway in and out and never walk up to Pratt again?

It would be another question entirely id the flat lots on Allyn street were all built up and the lots along the park were built up. the arena site would be something that developers would fight over. but those flat lots are not being fought over, so I do not have too much faith is the arena being developed.