IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

• 1 month later...

3500318407_cb62445be7_o.jpg

Front Street is being “well- received’’ in discussions between GVA Williams Group, a Stamford lease broker working for Nitkin, and prospective tenants for the eight storefronts, ranging from 4,500 square feet to 15,600 square feet, Christian said. He declined to say what vendors have signed on and for how much space in the 65,000-square-foot first phase, but hinted progress is slower than expected. “It’s just a difficult economic time for leasing,’’ he said.

One familiar name most likely to have space on Front Street is ESPN. Christian insisted that the Bristol sports media company, contrary to previous reports, hasn’t wavered from its desire for a presence in downtown Hartford. ESPN at one time said it envisioned a shop retailing sports apparel and memorabilia — not one of its ESPN Zone restaurants — for Front Street.

Design concepts for Phase II, including residential and additional retail, are being weighed, Christian said.

Edited by beerbeer

I truely hope that this phase is designed so housing can be added after the fact above the retail. its not that hard to engineer it.

the rendering looks very nice for an urban stripmall.

at this point I want this thing built so our conventioners see something there and so MAYBE phase 2 can make up for the low density bull happening here.

eventually it will hopefully be torn down for something that actually fits the area.

It's okay to have something on a small scale in the city. If you look at the footprint of the area as a whole, the progress is remarkable.

The river plaza, the science center, the hotel, the convention center, two parking garages and the front street retail area cover up acres of -what a few years ago was- surface parking and one low rise building. It fills a tremendous hole in the city. If Front Street attracts pedestrians and the retail/restaurants are a success, it becomes a major plus for the city. The fact that it is small may turn out to be a benefit if it encourages other development with stronger private financing.

I agree with Beerbeer at this point. I just hope that it turns out attractive and active and that it adds to the convention area. If it does that successfully then it will be a success in my book. It may not be all that we all wished it could be but I have had a reality check recently thinking about how far Hartford has come in a relatively short time. Adriaen's Landing was literally nothing at all when I left for college in 1999 and now it is on track to becoming a fully built section of the city.

My thoughts echo everyone else's. The low rise nature isn't ideal, but they fill in a big gap in the city. As long as empty lots are getting filled in with buildings that interact with the street I'm happy. Yes, I would like them to be 4-8 stories, but the reality is that there are plenty of other empty lots in the city that are in need of filling in. If this is a success and fills up, then there will be more demand to develop the Main Street or Parkview Hilton lots.

I agree with Beerbeer at this point. I just hope that it turns out attractive and active and that it adds to the convention area. If it does that successfully then it will be a success in my book. It may not be all that we all wished it could be but I have had a reality check recently thinking about how far Hartford has come in a relatively short time. Adriaen's Landing was literally nothing at all when I left for college in 1999 and now it is on track to becoming a fully built section of the city.

Good point, sometime I get over nostalgic or impatient and forget that downtown, though not as lively as it was in my youth has begun to grow- and has more going for it than it did 10 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only run for exercise. they were just huffing and puffing at me for show. no big deal at all. I was not doing anything wrong, so it was kind of funny to me.

I will ask how long next time though. maybe even ask for a site tour.

all they can do is say no.

As far as I know ESPN has pulled back, but not out. it will be interesting to see in the next 12 months as I am sure there will be announcements regarding tenants as the space gets more built, and the econemy recovers.

timing should actually be very good if this finishes in a year.